Butterfly Bonanza in Brazil - A Whirlwind Adventure

Share your notes and experiences in the field
EdTomologist
Reactions:
Falkland Islands

Butterfly Bonanza in Brazil - A Whirlwind Adventure

Post by EdTomologist »

Hey everyone,

I've been MIA for a while, but I'm back now, and I wanted to share why. I recently returned from an incredible collecting trip in Brazil, searching for the most beautiful fluttering jewels - butterflies!

If you're interested in hearing more about my adventure and the amazing butterflies I encountered, check out my blog post here: Butterfly Bonanza in Brazil - A Whirlwind Adventure

https://edtomology.wixsite.com/edtomolo ... ing-jewels

It was an unforgettable journey, and I can't wait to share the details with you all. Thanks for your patience while I was away!

Best regards,
Edtomology
🦋
Dive into the fascinating world of insects! Explore my blog, Instagram, and website. Don't miss our newsletter and the latest from butterfly adventures!
🌿📷🌐
Paul K
Meek
Meek
Reactions:
Canada

Re: Butterfly Bonanza in Brazil - A Whirlwind Adventure

Post by Paul K »

How on earth did you do that in Brazil????!!!!!

P.S.
You don’t have to answer
Chuck
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Solomon Islands

Post by Chuck »

Paul K wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 1:11 pm How on earth did you do that in Brazil????!!!!!

P.S.
You don’t have to answer
He has an affiliation with an institution that clearly has contacts at the right places. Then it's just a matter of securing the right permits nationally and locally.

It IS possible for individuals to get your own permits from Brazil or anywhere else. As I've said before, it's just money. A friend of mine was one of the top lawyers for a big IT company we all know; when an Indonesian firm wanted to partner he said "get me a collecting permit for all of Indonesia including Ornithoptera" and they did.
EdTomologist
Reactions:
Falkland Islands

Post by EdTomologist »

You guys are thinking too complex. I just tagged along with someone who already had permits and then got an indefinite specimen loan.
🦋
Dive into the fascinating world of insects! Explore my blog, Instagram, and website. Don't miss our newsletter and the latest from butterfly adventures!
🌿📷🌐
Chuck
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Solomon Islands

Post by Chuck »

I didn't see a lot of photos or a species list, are you going to publish those?
Jshuey
Global Moderators
Global Moderators
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by Jshuey »

EdTomologist wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 9:20 pm You guys are thinking too complex. I just tagged along with someone who already had permits and then got an indefinite specimen loan.
Indeed it does not have to be some elaborate "under the table" scheme. - I did the same thing a few years back under the guise of "research". We (me) had to publish a paper of course (https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... ileContent) but my personal motivation was getting into the Atlantic forest to collect. I was allowed to keep the "voucher specimens". This was liberally a childhood dream come true - collecting in Brazil (although I always imagined the Amazon).

If you have ambitions of collecting in cool places - this speaks to the importance of going to meetings and museums to meet people who can help you - by offering to help them.

John

By the way - any chance you collected Microceris variicolor in the cerrado? that bug is another childhood dream...
https://butterfliesofamerica.com/L/micr ... icolor.htm
EdTomologist
Reactions:
Falkland Islands

Post by EdTomologist »

Chuck wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 12:57 pm I didn't see a lot of photos or a species list, are you going to publish those?
Yes Chuck, I definitely plan to have a more comprehensive list once I actually spread and catalog my specimens. Currently most of them are papered.

ATM I’m building new drawers as all mine are filled to the brim. I’m also in the midst of planning another South America trip. I’ll have updates on the later!

I do have some specimens currently on the drying board but can’t take them off until I have the drawers ready. Just for you Chuck, here is one days catch from a location I visited.

[media] https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F4OO7UgXYAA ... name=large[/media]

If you’re wondering about the polypropylene bagging then pls refer to a previous thread (forgot which one) where it’s discussed how many museums and collections are also making the move to the clear polypropylene bags.
🦋
🌿📷🌐
EdTomologist
Reactions:
Falkland Islands

Post by EdTomologist »

[/quote]

By the way - any chance you collected Microceris variicolor in the cerrado? that bug is another childhood dream...
https://butterfliesofamerica.com/L/micr ... icolor.htm
[/quote]

I collected a pile of skippers with the intent of trading them with a fellow collector. Still have some left but looking at the picture it does not look familiar. If I come across any I’ll try to keep you in mind!
🦋
🌿📷🌐
EdTomologist
Reactions:
Falkland Islands

Post by EdTomologist »

I’ll take the opportunity to add here that if anyone has any day moths.
Asian zyngaena, Hemaris, Sataspes, South/Central American Wasp Moths, Alleopos, Epicopeia, Hemileuca etc.

I would be open to exchanges! I have American, central/South American, Asian and African material available!

Email: edtomology@gmail.com

Or contact me via one of the social likes below 👇
🦋
🌿📷🌐
Chuck
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Solomon Islands

Post by Chuck »

Jshuey wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 1:18 pm I did the same thing a few years back under the guise of "research". We (me) had to publish a paper of course (https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... ileContent) but my personal motivation was getting into the Atlantic forest to collect.
That sure sounds like research to me! Not like you took those personally collected specimens and framed them on the wall. Enjoying the field work doesn't mean it's not research, it's passion that enables a greater good.