Discussion on the legal aspects of insect specimen trading and collecting
Jshuey
Global Moderators
Global Moderators
Reactions:
United States of America

Re: The future of the hobby

Post by Jshuey »

Read the latest Conservation Matters column in the News of the Lepidopterists Society. A really nice piece by Robert Pyle entitled - "Keep nets in the hands of kids - and others".

As an aside - I still see plenty of young adults interested in leps - some with nets - but more often with cameras. We have a major moth effort at a nature preserve that includes a handful pf photographers and one solid collector. They all get along great, work the sheets together, and are trying to break the 2,000 species barrier at the site (they have a way to go on that end!). But the world is changing - and you can be a curmudgeon and grumble about it, or get on board... .

john
Chuck
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Solomon Islands

Re: The future of the hobby

Post by Chuck »

Jshuey wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 2:58 pm by Robert Pyle entitled - "Keep nets in the hands of kids - and others".

and you can be a curmudgeon and grumble about it, or get on board... .

john
I eagerly awaited my return home, and even though sick as a dog, yes, the News was there, so read Mr. Pyle's story.

Much of the article reflects what has been previously stated in this thread. He focuses on onerous prohibitions, and cites numerous contributions to entomology that could have been/ would have been impeded by anti-collecting rules, laws, and permits. His suggestion is to team with like-minded nature organizations and involve government agency personnel, though on the latter there seems to be zero interest.

Dr. Pyle mentions the impact of the internet, but that's about it; nor does he really address a general lack of interest in outdoor sciences.

While I understand his stance on the detrimental impact of laws and such that prohibit collecting, as I'd previously said I think that's not the primary problem with attracting youths- it's a general disinterest in outdoors and particularly sciences.

What I don't read, aside from blocking further ignorant laws and prohibitions, is how to "get on board" which I'm interested in. How to get youths interested?

First, failures which rather eliminate some historically popular avenues:

1. I used to do insect talks for the local school, but interest in that has dried up, and despite repeated offers, no takers.

2. I used to do the annual school science fair, but they're so inept they kept losing the exhibitor list, so I quit chasing them.

3. A friend used to do a science fair at the local liberal arts university, and wanted me to take over, but that hasn't rebooted after COVID.

4. The regional college has a popular ecology program, but no matter how many times I offered to do field trips and MV collecting, the staff seemed to have zero interest outside of their regimented program.

5. The popular Native American museum, upon who's grounds I do field work, wanted a collection of local butterflies, but when the POC left, the interest disappeared.

6. I've invited the state wildlife people to accompany me in field work, but they're focused on their passion- restorations- and as you know, when you're passionate about something there's not much time remaining. Plus they have reports, paperwork, etc. So no takers.

So if the grade schools aren't interested, and the colleges aren't interested, and the econ people aren't interested, how to reach an audience?

To my understanding, with youth it's all FB, Utube, and video. It would make sense that if I want to reach them, I have to join that movement and post videos on social media that I really don't care for. OK, so that's on me.

Any alternatives? Ideas?