General discussion on entomology
jhyatt
Meek
Meek
Reactions:
United States of America

Shipping dilemma

Post by jhyatt »

Has anyone discovered a way to ship small (say 3X4X3 inches), light (say 2-3 oz) parcels overseas without incurring the absurd cost of using the US Postal Service? A box of this description to a western European country now cost US$ 58 to ship, I was just told by the P.O. clerk. As recently as a year or so ago, this could go via 1st class mail for about $10-15 -- but the post office now will only send letters via 1st class mail. All parcels must go via "Priority Mail" or some even costlier category, he said.

I have to guess that commercial couriers (DHL, UPS, FedEx etc) are even more expensive. I must admit that I'm a bit in shock, not having sent any bugs overseas in a couple or three years. Trading isn't worth the cost of shipping any more, I fear.

JH
kevinkk
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
United States of America

Re: Shipping dilemma

Post by kevinkk »

I think you are the victim of an inept employee or a liar. Parcels do not have to be sent Priority mail,
Not long ago, Mom wanted to "help" me mail a box, I had the postage figured after weighing it,
5 bucks for ground select USPS, the clerk sold my Mom priority shipping and it cost me an extra 7 bucks, I know one of
the clerks at my post office, and I know exactly what's up at the post office when it comes to cost. Mom fell for the cow flop
line and she'll never mail another box for me again.
Now, shipping a tiny box overseas is not easy, you need room for the paperwork, I'd say that at least from our end in the USA, 3x4x3 is too small,
and, if you can get it or a box close in size, it should only cost under 25 bucks to go to the EU, I send items to a contact every season, that's
25 bucks unless you're mailing rocks:)

I just looked at the USPS website, first class international is right there at the bottom. My last shipment to England UK in probably February or
March of this year was a cigar shape box, 8 ounces, cost me about 25 bucks.
Chuck
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Solomon Islands

Post by Chuck »

1. Yes, prices have increased, some markedly.

2. USPS and UPS (at least) add surcharges for small boxes now. That makes sense, they are tough to handle. USPS minimum reasonable size (ie. price break) is about 6" x 6".

3. Despite the changes, tracking has improved markedly, and to me it's worth it.

4. You can use padded envelopes and stuff harder packaging inside to save $$. A plastic DVD shell can fit a number of specimens and slide into a padded envelope.

5. Great way to save money is use Pirateship.com. Ship via USPS and UPS at reduced rates, and they will pick up. It's stupid simple, the interface is simple and easy, and you can do custom forms right there.
jhyatt
Meek
Meek
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by jhyatt »

Many thanks, Kevin and Chuck! I'm apparently dealing with a less-than-knowledgable clerk. USPS website says there's a "First Class International Package" class for small light parcels; service to my target country runs about $15-19. And yes, my package is too small to fit the designated limits, per their website. I'll have to re-box and take it to a larger post office with at least one good clerk. And I'll look into using Pirateship.com.
jh
Chuck
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Solomon Islands

Post by Chuck »

Your best bet these days with USPS (and, UPS) is to use their standardized boxes, like USPS Priority Flat Rate Small. They are trackable, and they are outfitted to automatically handle their own boxes.

Anything smaller than a Flat Rate Small is likely to be lost or destroyed. I would not go smaller. Next level down would be the bubble wrap packages.

The whole point is not cost, it's the high loss rate of non-standard packages these days, particularly small packages.

AND! Insure it. USPS Flat Rate comes with either $50 or $100 insurance, which somehow means less losses too. If you elect to ship any other packaging, put at least $100 insurance on it.

ALSO (yes, there's more!) PirateShip.com allows you to check a few boxes for customs instead of (at the PO) filling out those stupid forms. In my experience, if the customs info is embedded in the label via PirateShip it's far less likely to get stuck in Customs.

Not what you want to hear, but welcome to the NWO.
jhyatt
Meek
Meek
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by jhyatt »

I just went to the central PO in town and mailed my parcel for less than half what the original local PO clerk told me was the cheapest way. I reboxed it in a larger (9X6X6) box, which more than doubled the weight, but it avoided a small-box surcharge and some risk of loss. The clerk I used today admitted that the "First Class International Package" category was not advertised on the P.O. boards showing various classes; he said they seemed to want to keep it hidden. He also said that the clerk I originally saw needs to come in for some training!

Pirateship.com would have saved me about $1.50, BTW.

Thanks,
jh
kevinkk
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by kevinkk »

For in the states, I use flat rate priority nearly all the time, never a problem. For our information- there are no longer first class parcels, it has been
changed to "parcel select ground", or some configuration of those words, it's just a name change. They still come with tracking at no extra charge.

I keep a digital scale and use the postal shipping calculator as well if I need to send something cheaper, or something that can last a few more
days in transit, much of the time, it turns out the same delivery time as it is.

Plan ahead! bring some of those pesky customs forms home with you! I can't stand it being behind people in line who have apparently never seen
the inside of a post office, or people who probably know better and come unprepared...can I use your tape?? And your writing utensil?
Depending on your situation, insurance may be comforting, however, if you're doing something illegal, you're unlikely to be reimbursed. For all it's faults, I will continue to use USPS, it is a choice.

I have a favorite clerk, and will stay in line sometimes to make sure I get to the person I like, "it's ok, you go ahead to the newbie".
When I was younger, I even delivered mail, it was on Grandma's rural route... Uncle was a postmaster, and Mom a substitute. Took many years of
osmosis to realize why none of Granny's comic books and magazines had no covers-

The post office website does have all kinds of free products, like padded flat rate priority envelopes, and different size boxes than they have
in the lobby.