Discussion on butterflies, moths and skippers
bobw
Global Moderators
Global Moderators
Reactions:
Great Britain

Rearing Catocala

Post by bobw »

I've been trying to rear as many species of Catocala as I can each year for the last few years. Now this years crop is off the boards I thought people might be interested to see the results. It's not an easy genus to rear, especially as I don't have access to any trees where I can sleeve them, so everything has to be done in tupperware containers with all the concomitant risk of bacterial or viral infections from condensation etc.

I started off with nearly 1200 ova of 20 different species. I had a hatch rate of about 55%, which I find is about normal for this genus; two species proved to be completely infertile. I then had a success rate after hatching of about 21%, which is a lot better than last year's disastrous results, but not as good as some previous years. I always seem to do better with the Juglandaceae feeders than with those that feed on other tree families.

I ended up with 138 adults of 14 different species, but with 5 of these I only got three or fewer adults.

2023 reared 1.jpg
2023 reared 1.jpg (730.62 KiB) Viewed 2402 times
2023 reared 2.jpg
2023 reared 2.jpg (575.49 KiB) Viewed 2402 times
Chuck
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Solomon Islands

Re: Rearing Catocala

Post by Chuck »

Impressive effort! Thanks for taking the time to photo & share.
Trehopr1
Global Moderators
Global Moderators
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by Trehopr1 »

Wow ! 😮 That is quite a "Herculean effort" bob.
To think of you doing this now (for these past several years) is just amazing.

I cannot imagine there are many enthusiasts here in the US that undertake such an effort anymore.

Those Catocala maestosa which I see in the second photograph are an especially nice and BIG species to have gotten through to adults. One of the best amongst the "dark- winged" species for sure.👍☺️
bobw
Global Moderators
Global Moderators
Reactions:
Great Britain

Post by bobw »

Yes, it is quite a lot of hard work. It basically means I can't leave home for more than a day between mid-April and mid-August, as I have to collect foodplants and clean out boxes every day.

I keep all the ova in the fridge over winter and take them out when I think the buds are going to burst. The maestosa are unusual as all the other species hatch within 9-15 days of taking them out of the fridge, but maestosa took 35 days to hatch. It's the second time I've reared them and they were the same both times!