Discussion on butterflies, moths and skippers
kevinkk
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
United States of America

mature larva behavior

Post by kevinkk »

Yesterday something happened that I've never seen before. Now, obviously that doesn't mean it doesn't happen.
The question- Do all Lepidoptera larva empty their gut before leaving the food plant to burrow in substrate,
or spin a cocoon?
I had 2 mature larva that left the food plant and wandered the cage, not seeing the evidence of them emptying
their stomach, I assumed they were looking for better leaves, eventually I gave up and put them in a container
with substrate and they burrowed in. No evidence at all of the gut contents I thought all mature larva produced
before spinning or digging in. Have I missed something over the years? Clearly more experience is required. :?
eurytides
Meek
Meek
Reactions:
Canada

Re: mature larva behavior

Post by eurytides »

No, not all species have a liquid dump. Some have one last pellet that’s sort of loose. Others have more or less normal frass until the very end.
kevinkk
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
United States of America

Re: mature larva behavior

Post by kevinkk »

Aha! So that's it. I did notice an extra large pellet, I may have missed the second one, and it was bigger, at least double in
size. I did wonder about the giant poo, it being the only thing different in the cage.
Thank you for answering.