General discussion on entomology
Chuck
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Solomon Islands

USGS wants dead Leps from AL, GA, KS, NB, TX, OK

Post by Chuck »

Citizens in six mid-U.S. states are being asked to mail in deceased butterflies, moths, and skippers to help U.S. Geological Survey scientists establish a Lepidoptera Research Collection (LRC). The pilot study for this citizen science invitation includes six states: Alabama, Georgia, Kansas, Nebraska, Oklahoma, and Texas.

These specimens will help USGS scientists identify contaminants and environmental factors which may be contributing to the decline of insect populations. Citizen participation will ensure enough specimens throughout the nation are available to answer research questions.

Caveat: must be collected dead, not captured alive. Well, OK then.

https://www.usgs.gov/news/state-news-re ... six-states
vabrou
Reactions:
United States of America

Re: USGS wants dead Leps from AL, GA, KS, NB, TX, OK

Post by vabrou »

JUST SAY NO. Not just bad science, actually REALLY BAD SCIENCE! In no way will this help USGS scientists identify contaminants and environmental factors which may be contributing to the decline of insect populations. This is like having a schoolkids 'bug collection in a shoe box under their beds.
But more likely will be used to falsely justify passing some laws which then prevent others from doing GOOD SCIENCE. Will no doubt be eventually used to pass laws outlawing all insect collecting. That is around the corner as has occurred elsewhere.

Saying that, consider there are volumes of true legitimate research that was published by the US Geological Survey in the 1800s. I have a couple of these large book-size volumes done on NA lepidoptera in my library.
Chuck
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Solomon Islands

Post by Chuck »

vabrou wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 2:38 pm JUST SAY NO. Not just bad science, actually REALLY BAD SCIENCE!
I'm afraid you're right. A true scientific dive into pesticides or whatever would best be done with series of targeted species with data, not "front of car grill". It's a shame, universities graduate numerous entomologists interested in Leps, why not pay them to go out and do it right? It's probably just bandwagon jumping, crowd sourcing to gain interest from the public and thus federal funds.
EdTomologist
Reactions:
Falkland Islands

Post by EdTomologist »

I was under the impression they are asking for already dead insects since those are the ones killed by pesticides/contaminants. A tiger swallowtail flapping along would most likely not be affected by the pesticides they’re looking for. To me it sounds like there is not enough information to judge the legitimacy of their research.
🦋
Dive into the fascinating world of insects! Explore my blog, Instagram, and website. Don't miss our newsletter and the latest from butterfly adventures!
🌿📷🌐