"Why are moths attracted to lights"...LepSoc Summer 2023

Give us your opinion about an entomological book or documentary and inform us about new publications.
Chuck
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Solomon Islands

"Why are moths attracted to lights"...LepSoc Summer 2023

Post by Chuck »

"Why are moths attracted to lights? The mass extinctions may help provide the answers" Jad Aster T. Badon, LepSoc V65:No. 2.

I suppose no hypothesis is wrong, though clearly some are more correct than others. Hey, I'm a fan of heretical hypotheses, even tinfoil hat stuff. So when I read the title concerning moths, lights, and ancient extinctions I was interested.

But the title is about all that's interesting, or right. This paper is sheer loon. The author tries to establish a connection between the KT event which wiped out most animals, and moths coming to lights. In doing so the author throws common sense and established science to the wind, going to far as to cherry-pick quips from real publications for support- not unlike the mainstream media does.

Here are some stellar quotes:

The reason for the attraction of moths toward lights remains a mystery.

they must fly in a circle so that they will remain in place within the range of the light, since if they fly straight they will be out of range of the light.

The only way to trace their evolutionary existence is to look for fossil records.

Moths are attracted to light during the night-time.

There are other explanations on why some insects are attracted to light, and that is they use the moon to calibrate their orientation and direction...

...the main reason why insects are attracted to lights, there is survival, such as food resource and rendezvous with conspecifics.

Going back to the extinction scenario, the only possible way for moths to reproduce without exerting effort and time looking for the mates is to fly where other moths will be (at light sources.)

On that last one, I wonder what moths did before electrical lights. Perhaps they flew into fires to mate. And before that, moths found light sources in which to mate...where?

I must say, this is the highest level of lunacy I've read in an entomological paper. Overall, in the entirety of entomology and man, this is surpassed only by California Appellate Court which ruled bumblebees to be fish- but this paper comes close. That LepSoc published it is astonishing.
eurytides
Meek
Meek
Reactions:
Canada

Re: "Why are moths attracted to lights"...LepSoc Summer 2023

Post by eurytides »

Wait wait, go back. What’s this about bumblebees and fish?
adamcotton
Global Moderators
Global Moderators
Reactions:
Thailand

Post by adamcotton »

Chuck wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 6:53 pmLepSoc V65:No. 2.
This would be the current issue of the News, rather than the Journal. My copy hasn't arrived yet, but publications in the News are not carefully peer reviewed, unlike the Journal.

If I remember correctly James Adams is the editor of the News, maybe you should complain to him.

Adam.
Chuck
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Solomon Islands

Post by Chuck »

adamcotton wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 9:10 am
Chuck wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 6:53 pmLepSoc V65:No. 2.
This would be the current issue of the News, rather than the Journal. My copy hasn't arrived yet, but publications in the News are not carefully peer reviewed, unlike the Journal.

If I remember correctly James Adams is the editor of the News, maybe you should complain to him.

Adam.
Thanks Adam, it is indeed LepSoc news.

I think it doesn't merit a complaint to LepSoc, they published it, so it's not like nobody read it. I shared it because it's...entertaining? stupifying? not unlike having to slow down and look at a highway wreck.
adamcotton
Global Moderators
Global Moderators
Reactions:
Thailand

Post by adamcotton »

Yes, it certainly sounds entertaining. It will be interesting to see whether there are either letters from members or an article discussing this one in future editions of the News.
Chuck
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Solomon Islands

Post by Chuck »

eurytides wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 10:44 pm Wait wait, go back. What’s this about bumblebees and fish?
viewtopic.php?p=1209&hilit=bumblebee#p1209
Chris Grinter
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by Chris Grinter »

The LepSoc News is not at all peer reviewed, and free for members to publish in. And please note that English is not Jade's first language either.

All issues, including this one, can be downloaded for free here: https://images.peabody.yale.edu/lepsoc/nls/
EdTomologist
Reactions:
Falkland Islands

Post by EdTomologist »

Chris Grinter wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 11:42 pm The LepSoc News is not at all peer reviewed, and free for members to publish in. And please note that English is not Jade's first language either.

All issues, including this one, can be downloaded for free here: https://images.peabody.yale.edu/lepsoc/nls/
Hi Chris! What’s the best way for me to get in touch with you?
🦋
Dive into the fascinating world of insects! Explore my blog, Instagram, and website. Don't miss our newsletter and the latest from butterfly adventures!
🌿📷🌐
Chris Grinter
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by Chris Grinter »

EdTomologist wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 8:33 pm
Chris Grinter wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 11:42 pm The LepSoc News is not at all peer reviewed, and free for members to publish in. And please note that English is not Jade's first language either.

Hi Chris! What’s the best way for me to get in touch with you?
You can email me - cgrinter (at) calacademy.org