small white pests

Request help to identify insects or other creatures. Please post the location that the insect you want to identify came from, this will help greatly in species determination.
dey
Reactions:
United States of America

small white pests

Post by dey »

california bay area usa, these small white/translucent bugs are all over in my room. I see them on shelves and stuff and just found a big concentration of them under my monitor. they range from around 1.5 millimeters to almost microscopic. they dont seem to be chewing through stuff or anything like that but they are gross and keep showing up over and over. i would just like to know what these to learn how to get rid of them. thanks
Attachments
20230624_115011-min.jpg
20230624_115011-min.jpg (535.02 KiB) Viewed 252 times
livingplanet3
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
United States of America

Re: small white pests

Post by livingplanet3 »

dey wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 7:39 pm california bay area usa, these small white/translucent bugs are all over in my room. I see them on shelves and stuff and just found a big concentration of them under my monitor. they range from around 1.5 millimeters to almost microscopic. they dont seem to be chewing through stuff or anything like that but they are gross and keep showing up over and over. i would just like to know what these to learn how to get rid of them. thanks...
They're insects of the order Psocoptera (psocids). They're commonly called barklice or booklice (although, they're not actual "lice", and do not bite).
Some species have wings, and others don't. They like warm, humid environments and feed on things like mold and mildew, and sometimes get into dried foods such as grain or flour. They'll also chew on cardboard and other paper-based materials, especially if they become water-damaged -

https://extension.umn.edu/product-and-h ... ts/psocids