wollastoni
Site Admin
Site Admin
Reactions:
France

Re: Unlocking the Hidden Art of Shingling

Post by wollastoni »

adamcotton wrote: โ†‘Fri Jun 02, 2023 10:16 pm
wollastoni wrote: โ†‘Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:19 am One aesthetic advice : put the HW a little bit lower like this one from Bicbugs
This is not bad, but I don't like the appearance of specimens set with hindwings pointing downwards, sometimes called 'Japanese style'.

Here are 2 spring form Papilio bianor stockleyi, the top one spread by Prasobsuk Sukkit and the lower one spread by me from a papered specimen he gave me:

stockleyi spreading comparison.jpg

Adam.
Come on Adam, your example is totally unrepresentative of Japanese spreading, which is one of the finest spreading ever. :o
On your example, the HW are too low... far too low.
adamcotton
Global Moderators
Global Moderators
Reactions:
Thailand

Post by adamcotton »

wollastoni wrote: โ†‘Sun Jun 04, 2023 4:40 pm your example is totally unrepresentative of Japanese spreading, which is one of the finest spreading ever.
Actually I didn't claim that this is representative of Japanese spreading, just that this style is often known as 'Japanese style'. However, I do think that many Japanese spread their specimens with the hindwings a bit lower than I would like.

Adam.
EdTomologist
Reactions:
Falkland Islands

Post by EdTomologist »

Here is another clip for your enjoyment. This time showcasing the shingling technique in a situation that warrants it. Given the long tails of some specimens, shingling can result in significant more specimens fitted per board.

๐Ÿฆ‹
Dive into the fascinating world of insects! Explore my blog, Instagram, and website. Don't miss our newsletter and the latest from butterfly adventures!
๐ŸŒฟ๐Ÿ“ท๐ŸŒ
adamcotton
Global Moderators
Global Moderators
Reactions:
Thailand

Post by adamcotton »

I noticed that in both videos you rotate the board to spread the left side of each specimen. I spread both sides from below.

Adam.
EdTomologist
Reactions:
Falkland Islands

Post by EdTomologist »

Do you use pins to draw and set the wing? or forceps? I rotate the board so I can use my right hand to move both wings.
๐Ÿฆ‹
Dive into the fascinating world of insects! Explore my blog, Instagram, and website. Don't miss our newsletter and the latest from butterfly adventures!
๐ŸŒฟ๐Ÿ“ท๐ŸŒ
adamcotton
Global Moderators
Global Moderators
Reactions:
Thailand

Post by adamcotton »

EdTomologist wrote: โ†‘Mon Jun 12, 2023 12:23 pm Do you use pins to draw and set the wing? or forceps?
Depends on the specimen, mostly I use a setting needle with a blunt tip under the forewing costa to move it into position. I use my left hand for the left side.

Adam.
bobw
Global Moderators
Global Moderators
Reactions:
Great Britain

Post by bobw »

I use a setting needle too, I've tried forceps but don't seem to have the dexterity to make them work. I do both sides from below - I'd never though about turning the board upside down. I'm not ambidextrous so I can't use my left hand.
EdTomologist
Reactions:
Falkland Islands

Post by EdTomologist »

I use setting needles only for smaller specimens. For large specimens I prefer forceps. With setting needles I donโ€™t turn the board like I do with forceps.
๐Ÿฆ‹
๐ŸŒฟ๐Ÿ“ท๐ŸŒ
mothman55
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Canada

Post by mothman55 »

I have never shingled on the spreading board, too much unnecessary risk. Agree with Paul, other than Vernon who spreads thousands each year, I find that a dozen boards is plenty.
EdTomologist
Reactions:
Falkland Islands

Post by EdTomologist »

Totally get it but for me I have never damaged a specimen from trying to shingle. I am also usually running on around 30 boards for spreading. I tend to get a couple days off every couple weeks so when I spread specimens I spread around 50+ In a span of a day or two. Iโ€™ll be making more wooden spreading boards for lyncaenidae since I currently only have 4 small boards. Lyncaenidae I do not shingle.
๐Ÿฆ‹
๐ŸŒฟ๐Ÿ“ท๐ŸŒ
EdTomologist
Reactions:
Falkland Islands

Post by EdTomologist »

adamcotton wrote: โ†‘Mon Jun 12, 2023 9:44 am I noticed that in both videos you rotate the board to spread the left side of each specimen. I spread both sides from below.

Adam.
Hereโ€™s me not rotating the board. Just noticed that sometimes I rotate the board and at other times I donโ€™t. I guess itโ€™s easier to follow on video with me not rotating the board.

[media] [/media]
๐Ÿฆ‹
๐ŸŒฟ๐Ÿ“ท๐ŸŒ
Bugplutofarmlandwind
Reactions:
American Samoa

Post by Bugplutofarmlandwind »

You've got a keen eye for that shingling technique, and I must say, it's a clever way to maximize space on those boards. Doubling the number of specimens? That's a win in my book! And it's great to hear that it's particularly effective for larger butterflies. I'd love to check out the image showcasing Luehdorfia japonica and see that shingling magic in action.
mothman55
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Canada

Post by mothman55 »

I too rotate the board so I can use my right hand to pull up the left wings. I just have more confidence in doing the fine work with my right hand. I have tried with my left hand on the left wings from below, just not as precise. I use forecepts for both large and small specimens, but have to admit I have lost a few scales on hairstreaks. May give the needle method a try on my next hairstreaks.
EdTomologist
Reactions:
Falkland Islands

Post by EdTomologist »

Bugplutofarmlandwind wrote: โ†‘Wed Jun 14, 2023 5:03 pm You've got a keen eye for that shingling technique, and I must say, it's a clever way to maximize space on those boards. Doubling the number of specimens? That's a win in my book! And it's great to hear that it's particularly effective for larger butterflies. I'd love to check out the image showcasing Luehdorfia japonica and see that shingling magic in action.
The image I mentioned can be found right at the beginning of this thread. Additionally, I've shared a captivating video from Twitter for you to enjoy. Feel free to take a look at both, and I appreciate your comment!
๐Ÿฆ‹
๐ŸŒฟ๐Ÿ“ท๐ŸŒ
vabrou
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by vabrou »

Paul K wrote: โ†‘Sun Jun 04, 2023 3:33 pm I donโ€™t see a need for shingling unless you are Vernon Brou.
Paul, I have been shingling my spread material in my collection storage for over 54 years. But I see there are more problems with doing this on spreading boards than is helpful. Instead, I have 200+ lineal feet of spreading boards complimented with the use of a self-designed specimen drying oven.

Paul, last year Charlotte and I reduced our collecting footprint from an insect trap inventory of 500 traps to about 25-30 active working traps in the field. We have placed hundreds of traps into storage and have sold dozens to other collectors. Still we are researching sesiids and we have more material than we can handle to process on a daily basis. It hasn't helped that we are both 74 and I have been laid up for several months this year with a case of lower leg cellulitis. Still discovering new Louisiana state records of lepidoptera here at this same location (our home) for the past 41 years.

Recently we published a synopsis of our lifetime of entomological accomplishments over the past 54 years while we were able to do so. It is freely accessible at the link: https://www.academia.edu/96051394/ABITA ... STUDY_SITE This PDF has not only text in a timeline but is sprinkled throughout with associated images. ------------- Vernon Antoine Brou Jr.