Perfect method to relax a butterfly in 4 hours (even Agrias).

General discussion on entomology
wollastoni
Site Admin
Site Admin
Reactions:
France

Perfect method to relax a butterfly in 4 hours (even Agrias).

Post by wollastoni »

As most of you know, I have been looking for a perfect method to relax butterflies for years and have experimented many methods over the years (classic relaxer with wet paper, fridge, hot water injection, vodka...).
Thanks to a friend, I have found it... and it changes my life.

Imagine being able to spread a butterfly just 4 hours after taking it from its enveloppe, even a difficult butterfly to spread like an Agrias or an Hesperidae.

Here it is : the "ammonia method".

For classic butterflies (Delias, Colias...).
- use a syringe to inject one or two drops of ammonia into the thorax between the legs, at the wings level. (see photo)
- if you have injected too much ammonia, absorb the excess by gently pressing the specimen between 2 sheets of toilet paper.
- place the specimen on a sheet of toilet paper in a classic relaxer for 4 hours (toilet paper will absorb ammonia if you injected too much).
- after 4 hours, you can spread it

For tough butterflies like Agrias.
Same method but add an ammonia injection between the eye (see photo)

This is the result, that picture has been taken 4 hours later the first 2 pictures

This method is really a game changer. You can spread an Agrias in 4 hours instead of several days. No mold risk. No more broken antennae. No more holes in wings because you force too much on them and so on. No greased wings (which happen with hot water on Agrias).
It is very practical, you inject in the morning and spread after lunch.

Just try it and let me know. Use pure ammonia that you find in every supermarkets.

One last tip :
- An open bottle of ammonia stinks. Fill your syringe to the maximum so you can prepare a dozen specimens without having to re-open the bottle.

:)
Paul K
Meek
Meek
Reactions:
Canada

Re: Perfect method to relax a butterfly in 4 hours (even Agrias).

Post by Paul K »

This is interesting but isn't there a risk of breaking antennas, head or legs in process of injection dry specimen?

BTW I always use ammonia to kill butterflies which are resistant to pinch and some moths that can be handle ( sphinx, silk moths )
wollastoni
Site Admin
Site Admin
Reactions:
France

Post by wollastoni »

That's what is magic about ammonia. You will see the head and antennae are perfectly relaxed.
You don't get this result with hot water injection.

And please note that the head injection is only for big specimen (Agrias, big Papilio...).

Some Satyridae, that I caught in French Guiana, spread today.
I injected them and spread them 3 hours later. You can move the antennae and head as on fresh specimens.

Have a try.
Cabintom
Meek
Meek
Reactions:
Canada

Post by Cabintom »

wollastoni wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 4:37 pm That's what is magic about ammonia. You will see the head and antennae are perfectly relaxed.
You don't get this result with hot water injection.
I use hot water injection, and while forcing the water through the thorax I submerge the head, antennae, and legs in the hot water. Usually 20-30 seconds is enough.
AKColias
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by AKColias »

Paul K wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 3:36 pm This is interesting but isn't there a risk of breaking antennas, head or legs in process of injection dry specimen?

BTW I always use ammonia to kill butterflies which are resistant to pinch and some moths that can be handle ( sphinx, silk moths )
Do you inject the insects to kill them with ammonia?
adamcotton
Global Moderators
Global Moderators
Reactions:
Thailand

Post by adamcotton »

Why not inject the ammonia through the membranous joint between thorax and abdomen on the underside, with the needle pointing forwards into the thorax?

Surely that way you can inject the thorax and then move the needle tip towards the head and inject there too if necessary? That must be better than making a hole in the head.

Adam.
Paul K
Meek
Meek
Reactions:
Canada

Post by Paul K »

AKColias wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 5:01 pm
Paul K wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 3:36 pm This is interesting but isn't there a risk of breaking antennas, head or legs in process of injection dry specimen?

Do you inject the insects to kill them with ammonia?
Yes.
alandmor
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by alandmor »

Interestingly, I use ammonia to relax beetle specimens. I don't inject them but relax them in a petri dish with several layers of moist paper towels using 50:50 ammonia and water. I don't know if it's something about the ammonia but most specimens are relaxed enough to mount within 24 hours.
wollastoni
Site Admin
Site Admin
Reactions:
France

Post by wollastoni »

Adam, there is no visible hole in the head.
Cabintom : just try with ammonia, you will see. Much more efficient than hot water, no need to emerge head and antennae, less greasing risk...

alandmor : I haven't try relaxing beetles with that method, but as it is very efficient of lepidoptera, it should work too on coleoptera.
Cabintom
Meek
Meek
Reactions:
Canada

Post by Cabintom »

wollastoni wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 8:16 am Cabintom : just try with ammonia, you will see. Much more efficient than hot water, no need to emerge head and antennae, less greasing risk...
I'm satisfied with my methodology, thank you! I push 5-10ml of very hot water (not warm water) through the thorax of the butterfly (in the way Adam described). While slowly injecting the water I keep the head submerged in a dish of the same hot water. Usually the antennae are soft in less than 15-20 seconds. If the legs need softening I'll then submerge the thorax up to the base of the wings, while I finish slowly pushing the remaining hot water through the butterfly. Also, as I'm injecting the water, I'll reposition the needle tip, starting shallow and ending up at the base of the head. Then, for Hesperids or larger Nymphalids (think Charaxes, Euphaedra) I use the edge/point of a pair of tweezers to weaken the flight muscles by pressing into them. This part of the process takes less than a minute. Often I inject two butterflies in succession, leaving the first on a piece of paper towel to absorb excess water while I inject the second. Once the second butterfly is finished, I'll return to the first, gently squeeze it in the paper towel to push out more excess water and slide the edge of the paper towel between the wings to absorb any water which may be sitting there. At this point the butterfly is 95% of the time ready to set.

So, < 5min versus ~4hrs.
I also only very rarely have problems with greasing (<0.5% of specimens, probably fewer).

Lastly, and perhaps more importantly in my context: no need to try importing ammonia.
wollastoni
Site Admin
Site Admin
Reactions:
France

Post by wollastoni »

Interesting Thomas.
Do you spread "old" papered butterflies with that method too (more than one year in paper enveloppe) ? Never heard of a 5-minute relaxing method for leps (except almost fresh ones).
Chuck
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Solomon Islands

Post by Chuck »

Interesting.

Are there any hazards to dispatching Leps with Ammonia?
1. Knocking Leps (and Coleoptera) into a bowl of ammonia
2. Using ammonia-dampened paper towel in tupperware in the field, with fresh specimens in envelopes

Thanks.
chulrich
Reactions:
Germany

Post by chulrich »

Olivier,

are you using something like this?
Attachments
81nDf662e+L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
81nDf662e+L._AC_SL1500_.jpg (197.39 KiB) Viewed 1170 times
wollastoni
Site Admin
Site Admin
Reactions:
France

Post by wollastoni »

No, I use this one
Bought it in Leroy Merlin.

Yours doesn't seem to be pure ammonia as they say there are pine oil and that it smells good.
Cabintom
Meek
Meek
Reactions:
Canada

Post by Cabintom »

wollastoni wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 12:10 pm Interesting Thomas.
Do you spread "old" papered butterflies with that method too (more than one year in paper enveloppe) ? Never heard of a 5-minute relaxing method for leps (except almost fresh ones).
This is a good point. Most specimens I set are less than a year old. I have set 5-year old specimens using this method, but very few would have been the larger "tough" species (it's been a while).
chulrich
Reactions:
Germany

Post by chulrich »

thank you!
joachim
Reactions:
Germany

Post by joachim »

weich.jpg
weich.jpg (367.79 KiB) Viewed 1097 times
Hello, this swelling liquid or soft liquid was sold by Fa, Fiebig in Berlin. Feels alkaline. I hardly use it, but I think it is ammonia with additives. But these should be put in the soaking liquid.
You are not supposed to drink it, but $10 is also too expensive.
EdTomologist
Reactions:
Falkland Islands

Post by EdTomologist »

The use of ammonia and its remarkable properties as a relaxant have revolutionized my approach to specimen manipulation and preservation.

Ammonia, scientifically known as ammonium hydroxide (NH4OH), wields its power as a potent relaxant through a combination of factors rooted in its alkaline nature and its ability to disrupt the intricate structure of proteins. When skillfully injected into the specimens, this remarkable compound sets into motion a cascade of events that fundamentally alters the delicate balance within the insect's body.

The process begins with a profound pH shift brought about by the introduction of ammonia. This change, in turn, triggers the denaturation of the proteins residing within the insect's muscle fibers. Imagine, if you will, the proteins gracefully unraveling, their three-dimensional structure yielding to the relentless influence of ammonia. As these proteins lose their native configuration, a tranquil wave of relaxation sweeps through the insect's body, rendering it pliable and amenable to our gentle touch.

Ah, yes, the scent of ammonia. I must concede that it possesses a pungency that can challenge even the most resilient olfactory senses. However, in the pursuit of scientific excellence, we are often compelled to endure temporary discomfort for the sake of achieving exceptional results. Fear not, for the aromatic assault dissipates swiftly, leaving behind only the lingering sense of accomplishment and the knowledge that we have harnessed the power of ammonia for the greater purpose of our research.

Of course, no scientific pursuit is without its fair share of concerns. I have heard whispers of doubts regarding the potential impact on DNA integrity and its implications for future analysis. Allow me to assuage these worries with a dose of scientific clarity. When employed judiciously and with due care, ammonia should not significantly compromise the integrity of the insect's DNA.

It is crucial to bear in mind that the relaxation process primarily targets the insect's muscle fibers and other protein-based structures, leaving the intricate strands of DNA largely untouched. While it is true that ammonia's denaturing effects may exert a minor influence on DNA, rest assured that such minimal impacts are unlikely to hinder the subsequent application of DNA analysis techniques.
EdTomologist
Reactions:
Falkland Islands

Post by EdTomologist »

Ammonia and pepsin/trypsin enzymes are both effective in relaxing insect specimens, but they differ in important aspects. Enzymes like pepsin/trypsin are pH-sensitive and act specifically on muscle fibers. Once applied, their effects are permanent. In contrast, ammonia provides temporary relaxation and affects the entire insect body. Enzymatic methods require careful pH control, while ammonia offers a convenient and temporary solution.

consider these factors when choosing between the two methods.
wollastoni
Site Admin
Site Admin
Reactions:
France

Post by wollastoni »

entomologist wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 5:59 pm The use of ammonia and its remarkable properties as a relaxant have revolutionized my approach to specimen manipulation and preservation.
Yes, a real revolution for me too! I have multiplied my number of specimens spread by 10 since I discovered the ammonia injection!
It is incredible that this technique is so little discussed in entomology books and forums! It took me 30 years to discover it!