A hobby of "small game hunting"....

Post your pictures of butterfly or insect art you have created or seen. Let's discuss the techniques.
EdTomologist
Reactions:
Falkland Islands

Re: A hobby of "small game hunting"....

Post by EdTomologist »

Chuck wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 2:36 pm So where are the young entomologists?

Surely, out of 325 million Americans, and a worldwide population of 7 billion, there must be some. And, academic institutions seem to have plenty of incoming students- in fact, three years ago I compiled a business case for a uni showing that entomology was a growing field of study.

So where do they "hang out"? They don't seem to join LepSoc. Are they on FB? Why aren't they here?
Greetings, fellow butterfly enthusiasts!

Allow me to share my thoughts on a matter that might ruffle a few feathers, but one that I believe warrants our attention. It appears that there is a noticeable decline in the active participation of young entomologists on our beloved butterfly collecting forum. Now, before I elaborate, let me emphasize that my intention is not to offend, but rather to delve into the potential reasons behind this phenomenon and offer my perspective.

The truth of the matter is that the average 20-25 year old of today leads an extraordinarily hectic life. Take, for instance, a 20-year-old biology student pursuing their passion at a university. On any given week, their schedule would likely be brimming with lectures, laboratory work, the never-ending demands of daily chores such as cooking and grocery shopping, not to mention the occasional foray into the social scene. It is not uncommon for them to juggle multiple jobs, be it tutoring or assisting with research projects in the university lab.

In the precious little spare time they do manage to salvage, it is understandable that these young enthusiasts might find solace and entertainment in the vast expanse of social media platforms. From TikTok to Facebook and Instagram, the allure of these digital realms tempts their attention away from the realm of butterflies. Consequently, the opportunity to venture into the field and indulge in the joy of collecting is forsaken, and their engagement with our cherished hobby dwindles.

As this vibrant new generation matures, it is quite conceivable that traditional forums such as ours may eventually fade into the annals of history. The rapid transformation of communication channels cannot be ignored. Countless conversations I've had with esteemed older entomologists now occur through the convenience of phone texting. Meanwhile, the younger entomologists, who we are eager to welcome into our fold, often prefer to connect via Discord, WhatsApp, and similar platforms where instant interaction is the order of the day.

Now, I must admit that my perspective may be somewhat biased, as it stems from my own personal experience. Once upon a time, I used to frequent this forum with unwavering enthusiasm. However, the tides of life have steered me toward other endeavors in recent years, namely lepidoptera research and publishing. This dedication to scientific pursuits has, regrettably, led to a decline in my activity on the esteemed InsectNet forum.

But fret not, dear community! I recently rekindled my passion and reregistered my InsectNet account last week, eager to rejoin the vibrant discussions and share my newfound insights. In the coming year, I promise to be a beacon of activity and knowledge, before the demands of medical school inevitably steer me once again toward temporary dormancy.

While it is true that the average 20-25 year old finds themselves engrossed in a whirlwind of activities, it is equally important to acknowledge the contrasting perspective of the typical 40-50 year old. This cohort, often well-acquainted with forum communication, tends to prefer the familiar realm of forums over the modern social media landscape. This preference can be attributed to the psychological phenomenon known as the mere exposure effect, wherein individuals develop a fondness for something they are repeatedly exposed to. Hence, these seasoned entomologists are more likely to be drawn to the comfort and familiarity of our beloved forum, choosing it as their preferred mode of communication.

Moreover, individuals in their 40s and 50s often find themselves at the plateau of their careers or even on the cusp of retirement. With more time on their hands, they are able to allocate a significant portion of it to forum engagement and regular check-ins. The forum becomes a sanctuary where they can share their wealth of knowledge, seek camaraderie, and relish in the collective passion for butterflies. It is during these fruitful years that their contributions to the forum and their dedication to the hobby shine brightly, fostering a vibrant community that transcends time.

On the other hand, those who are in the midst of their educational journey or just embarking on their professional careers face a myriad of pressing activities. If an interest in entomology does not serve a direct function in their financial or career advancement, it is more likely for these young enthusiasts to temporarily divert their attention elsewhere. While it may seem disheartening to witness their intermittent absences, it is crucial to recognize that life's demanding priorities often necessitate such temporary departures. Nonetheless, with the advent of summer, we can hold onto the hope that these young entomologists will once again resurface, invigorated and eager to explore the world of butterflies. Although they may gravitate towards modern social media platforms, we must remain open to embracing their presence wherever they choose to convene.

In closing, I extend an open invitation to engage in polite and spirited discussions, knowing that my words may have sparked curiosity and perhaps even disagreement among our esteemed community. I wholeheartedly welcome this diversity of perspectives and anticipate a rich exchange of ideas. Considering the multitude of claims I have presented, it is only natural that questions will arise and varying viewpoints will emerge. It is through respectful discourse that we can delve deeper into the intricate tapestry of butterfly collecting, furthering our collective understanding and fostering an environment of continuous learning. So, let us come together with open minds, ready to embrace the beauty of intellectual curiosity and the joy of respectful disagreement. Together, we shall continue to unlock the secrets of the entomological realm and celebrate the wonders that butterflies bring to our lives.

Wishing you all captivating conversations and enlightening debates,
Your fellow entomologist
wollastoni
Site Admin
Site Admin
Reactions:
France

Re: A hobby of "small game hunting"....

Post by wollastoni »

I see tons of young collectors on facebook.
I am on Facebook too. I like some discussions but they are not stored... and are nearly unfindable few weeks after their creation. It is a pity.

+ there is an issue on facebook as it is not moderated and there are plenty of "anti-collectors" ruining the mood.
Discussions are much more interesting and civilized here.