Discussions on beetles
alandmor
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
United States of America

Scarabaeoidea Galleries on Flickr

Post by alandmor »

Alberto Ballerio, an Italian scarab researcher, has created some remarkable, curated galleries on Flickr of all things Scarabaeoidea.  Definitely worth a look.  Note that all restrictions that the original photographer puts on the use of his/her Flickr files are still valid.  From a recent listserv post by Alberto:

=========================================================================================================================

Dear all,

I have recently reorganized my galleries on Scarabaeoidea on Flickr.  You can access them here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/philharmostes/galleries 

Now the galleries have been divided following a systematic order with various degrees of detail (sometimes to family level, other times to tribe, such as in the case of Trichiini, Cremastochelini, and so on). I repeat that I am not the owner of those images and I am not responsible for the identifications (sometimes obviously wrong). Besides the taxonomic galleries, I created ten thematic galleries:

1) Old plates depictingScarabaeoidea (taken from BHL)
2) Scarabaeoidea and man
3) Scarabaeoidea larvae and pupae
4) Scarabaeoidea remarkablebehaviours
5) Scarabaeoidea as a prey
6) Scarabaeoidea in flight
7) Scarabaeoidea and orchids
8) Dung beetles in action
9) Remarkable aggregations ofScarbaeoidea
10) Pollination by Scarabaeoidea

Some of the thematic galleries contain interesting images. Especially the gallery "Scarabaeoidea as prey": see for instance the numerous cases of Scarabaeinae and Geotrupidae "impaled" by shrikes on barbed wire or the image showing a "garden" of a bower bird in New Guinea made of Passalidae elytra (at least they look like Passalidae elytra to me!). I hope you will be able to find some useful or inspiring images among the many beautiful photos in the galleries.

Best wishes,

Alberto