Glue boards/cards

General discussion on entomology
bugsy
Reactions:
Wallis and Futuna Islands

Glue boards/cards

Post by bugsy »

I'm looking for a US supplier of various sizes of pre-cut "glue boards" or "mounting boards" for mounting smaller specimens. I have a feeling there isn't one though.

For example

Also what glue is best for this process and what type of cardstock is used?

Thanks
boghaunter1
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Canada

Re: Glue boards/cards

Post by boghaunter1 »

Hi bugsy... Welcome to Insectnet,

I think you are right about there not being any U.S. suppliers of glue boards...Using glue boards is more of a European preferred method of mounting beetles/small insects (big & small). Here in N. Am. any tiny insects that are too small for pins are usually point mounted. IMHO, I also like the glue boards as they protect the appendages (legs, antennae) from breakage & they make a collection look more aesthetically pleasing. Many of the European entomological suppliers sell glue boards. As they are a very small item shipping costs shouldn't be too great. Paradox Co. out of Poland sells a very wide variety/styles of glue boards:

http://www.insectnet.eu/glue_boards.php

Watkins & Doncaster out of England also has a huge selection of entomological supplies:

https://www.watdon.co.uk/

With the closing of BioQuip I really wish more entomological suppliers, WORLDWIDE, would advertise here on insectnet.com :(

I make my own glue boards (all my insect labels also) out of 110 lb., acid free cardstock available in any office supply store or online. The very thick cardstock doesn't curl up as readily as thinner card stock (I detest thin curled up labels/glue boards!). I use Windows Word (with a laser printer) to print out small (any size you like) black bordered rectangles (essentially, regular, blank insect labels) & cut them out with sharp scissors. I use regular Elmers/LePages white glue which easily enables you to soak a specimen off the board, with water, if needed. Crazy glues need powerful solvents & I don't use them.

John K. :geek:
bugsy
Reactions:
Wallis and Futuna Islands

Re: Glue boards/cards

Post by bugsy »

Thanks for the info John. I've always used pins and points, but want to slim down the collection with some nicely mounted beetles and bugs on cards.