Post by 58chevy »

58chevy
Meek
Meek
Reactions:
United States of America

Re: Latest LED/UV Bug Light

Post by 58chevy »

Has anybody used this light? Was it effective?
boghaunter1
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Canada

Post by boghaunter1 »

Hello Black Lighters,

I recently received (from Ebay.ca) 2 of these very nice, little, foot long 10W 365 nm LED blacklights from China...

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/265730831488?var=565516220018

They are much cheaper ($14.85 USD/$20.10 CAD ea.) & are available in both 365 & 395 nm (nanometers). I ordered 3 more of these same 365 nm lights as well. The 365 nm LED's are the same wavelength as the BL fluorescent tubes we have all used for years (with the regular white glass envelope that give off a pale blue light like BioQuip sold (& "Quantum" brand BL's) & are also still used in most bug zappers today). In my past experience the 395 nm (390-400 nm range) BLB lights (with the back exterior glass envelope of fluorescent tubes & the deep purple color of the new LED's) are practically useless to attract insects. The majority of LED lights that are sold on Ebay, Amazon, & many other places, are in the 390-400+ nm range & give off a much brighter, darker purple, visible light, made for fluorescing rocks, BL posters, paints, makeup, white clothes, glowing party decorations, etc. You may have to look around to find the 365 nm lights, but, as the one I listed above on Ebay, they can be found. Last summer, I mistakenly, in a hurry, purchased one (wrong wavelength!) of those larger 50W 395 nm LED black lights... (square shaped & they get extremely hot... also common on Ebay, Amazon, etc. approximately $60.00 CAD) & tried it out for a few warm, moonless, dark nights in July... very disappointed as next to nothing flew to that light. I also, recently this winter, purchased yet another 50W LED BL (but...365 nm this time!); can't test any of the new lights yet as there is still snow on the ground in many places here & freezing temps. at night. Certainly one can use some of these much more expensive combo 365/395 nm LED BL's (can't hurt I (would think?), but I, IMHO, have little faith in the effectiveness of the strictly 390-400 nm wavelength LED's. In summary I will be experimenting with all my new LED 365 nm black lights in the coming months & can report back later. Please note that these are my own personal recommendations/suggestions & are based solely on my own past experiences & your future results may differ widely...

John K. :geek:
Last edited by boghaunter1 on Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alandmor
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by alandmor »

More info on the Entolight, developed recently by an entomologist and available now from entoquip.com. It's a bit more expensive, assembled in the USA and looks pretty nice. From a recent Facebook post by the developer:

I'm happy to finally share something I've been working on since last March. That's when BioQuip suddenly closed its doors. Like many of you probably were, I was traumatized since they were the source of nearly all our entomological equipment for decades!

With my business partner, Adam Retzer, I formed a company, www.entoquip.com

We have spent the first year developing a powerful, 30 watt LED UV collecting light to replace the old BioQuip tube style fluorescent lights. Our light covers a broader UV spectrum (365-400 nm), is less than 1 pound, waterproof, and will not break when dropped, so it can withstand rugged conditions experienced on bug hunting trips.

The LEDs will likely last for many trips, unlike the BioQuip lights which, for me, seemed to often have issues within 1-2 years, and sometimes immediately after I bought them!

Please check out our website for more information and pricing. Also, please hit "subscribe" at the bottom of the homepage so that we can notify you when we have new products available.
kevinkk
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by kevinkk »

Interesting and clearly inevitable. The range of attraction would be interesting, with a broader light spectrum. I can see my immediate problem
with this item however- it looks like AC only. I use 12 volt batteries purposely designed for camping use, while they have an AC capability the
power usage is greater.
Certainly worth a look. I stocked up on Bioquip, but it won't last forever-
boghaunter1
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Canada

Post by boghaunter1 »

Hi kevinkk,

Most serious, veteran moth collectors have had, for years now, as routine, a power inverter (12v DC to 120V AC) ranging from 300-1,000 watts & readily available online or at any major hardware store for under $50.00 USD. One used to have to lug around larger, heavier, lead acid, 12V batteries... now much lighter, lithium based portable battery packs are readily available anywhere. They can be quite powerful; you can, after all, boost & start (many times) your car with them!... so I'm sure you can easily run a couple (or more) of 30W LED BL's for a few nights. If you are really into technology/green movement buy a solar panel & use it to charge up your batteries/power packs during the day. HOWEVER... as a fool proof backup ALWAYS bring along one "old fashioned" larger capacity, fully charged, lead acid battery. ;)

Yes, technological progress is inevitable & I also agree that LED's are the future in all lighting & like you I too have been stocking up on MV's & BL's (for the last 10 years!). Keep in mind that regular 15W, 18" fluorescent BL tubes (like BioQuip's) have been available, from other sellers online, for years now, (& still are, but getting more pricey... no panic yet). As another example, I just received 3 - 40W 2ft fluorescent BL tubes (same as the "Quantum" tubes - Sylvania brand made in Germany) from an Ebay seller, for $15.00 each, with free shipping, from England!... unfortunately the price has doubled since my order only last month! Stock up now, (if you're an old fossil like me!), while they are still available... you can still afford them, & you simply like the old dependable fluorescent BL tubes. By the way, over the years, I have found the BL fluorescent tubes quite dependable having to replace them (in continuous use in light traps, every night, all season long) only every 3-4 years...

My biggest worry/potential problem with the new LED's is their dependability... due to quality control (China where most are made?) & serious overheating problems? I poured over scores of comments from customers on Amazon (many different sellers) & many said these new lights can quickly fail & do not live up to their (dubious?) longevity claims. I guess only time will tell & that is why I am experimenting with the lower priced LED BL's to begin with... :| Also... Does anyone make a 365 nm "cob" LED light... a 100W would be awesome?

John K. :geek:
Last edited by boghaunter1 on Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eurytides
Meek
Meek
Reactions:
Canada

Post by eurytides »

I also have a 365nm 50W LED light. Will be using it this summer for the first time. I went with 365nm because it’s supposed to be the best for leps, based on what I have read and personal comments from a couple of other people. 365nm is one of the major emission lines in the mercury spectrum, so it does make sense. LepiLED also makes use of this fact and seems to work ok.
Panacanthus
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by Panacanthus »

What am I missing here?! That entoquip light appears to be made from an led strip which is most likely 12v. Why would someone who has a 12v power supply buy a converter to change 12v DC into 120v AC, only to have the light (with its own converter at the plug) then change it back into 12v again. If I had a 12v power supply and were to purchase that exact light, I’d just cut off that converter and attach an appropriate plug/adapter for my 12v system or battery. Why not also offer such a light with direct 12v plug in capability when that’s what the LEDs require anyways, and no converter would be needed?

I haven’t checked the website so my apologies if I’m missing something.
“Seems to me the natural world is the greatest source of excitement; the greatest source of visual beauty; the greatest source of intellectual interest. It is the greatest source of so much in life that makes life worth living.” -David Attenborough
kevinkk
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by kevinkk »

Maybe people just find what works best. I use Goal Zero batteries, and they come in all price flavors, besides changing every year. My 15 watt uv
bulbs have been working for me, but I only get out maybe 6 nights in a season. While the batteries will run AC, it uses an internal converter, which
must use energy because I can hear it working like a fan. I think DC/AC converters are a liability, the led lights could run from 12v, they
just need wired that way. I'm sure I have a bunch of battery operated led lights in the camping box.
Maybe someday I'll just give in and listen to the generator.
I looked at the site earlier, and it seems like a good idea, and like everything else, it may improve over time. Which is exactly what happens, I buy the first model...and zap!