Share the gems of your insect collection with the InsectNet community
daveuk
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Wales

Coenonympha pamphilus

Post by daveuk »

Known in the U.K. as The Small Heath this butterfly was abundantly common in my childhood in many localities close to where I live now. It has sadly disappeared from almost all of these localities & where it is still found the numbers are drastically depleted. It's a tiny Satyrid which is a delight to see on the wing.
Two pairs shown under & upperside
Attachments
20230405_134043.jpg
20230405_134043.jpg (559.66 KiB) Viewed 810 times
Last edited by daveuk on Fri Apr 07, 2023 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trehopr1
Global Moderators
Global Moderators
Reactions:
United States of America

Re: Coenonympha pamphilus

Post by Trehopr1 »

Lovely little satyr species. 👍☺️

Sadly, satyr species even here (I believe) have been sadly in decline or have become much more localized as the years have gone by. Like lycaenids, satryrs are great indicators of a healthy habitat/ ecosystem or that of one being affected largely (by man) in some manner.

The greater majority tend to be found in wild spaces such as wetlands, ponds, marshy areas, bogs, and healthy transects of forests.

This is a big country and I suppose there are strongholds for some species still. However, with so much development and/or encroachment upon these wild spaces for all sorts of man's needs --- many species here have become more localized (or are teetering on disappearance) than ever before.
daveuk
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Wales

Post by daveuk »

Trehopr1 wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 5:38 pm Lovely little satyr species. 👍☺️

Sadly, satyr species even here (I believe) have been sadly in decline or have become much more localized as the years have gone by. Like lycaenids, satryrs are great indicators of a healthy habitat/ ecosystem or that of one being affected largely (by man) in some manner.

The greater majority tend to be found in wild spaces such as wetlands, ponds, marshy areas, bogs, and healthy transects of forests.

This is a big country and I suppose there are strongholds for some species still. However, with so much development and/or encroachment upon these wild spaces for all sorts of man's needs --- many species here have become more localized (or are teetering on disappearance) than ever before.
It's exactly the same story here in the U.K.Trehopr.
Exacerbated by the fact that we are a small island compared to the vastness of The United States. There are some good news stories here such as the successful introductions of Swedish stock of The Large Blue(Phengaris arion) over the past few years. A butterfly extinct here since 1979. Such good news stories though tend to be the exception rather than the rule here.
bobw
Global Moderators
Global Moderators
Reactions:
Great Britain

Post by bobw »

Certainly, when I was a kid I never thought anything of pamphilus. it was everywhere. Now I can't remember when I last saw one. Not the most exciting looking species, but when I bred then once, they looked quite spectacular when fresh. Like many other species here in southern England, they've massively reduced in numbers over the last 50 years. The worst example is the Wall Brown (Lassiomata megera), which used to be common when I was a kid, I used to see it commonly but now it's become purely coastal, I've not seen one inland for 50 years! However, there are some other species which have made up for it, e.g. Silver-washed fritillary (Argynnis paphia), which I never used to see in my area, but is now everywhere.
bobw
Global Moderators
Global Moderators
Reactions:
Great Britain

Post by bobw »

Another species that's disappeared here is Aglais urticae ( Small tortoiseshell). it was one of the commonest species when I was a kid, I used to see many on every Buddleia bush. now I see 2 or 3 a year if I'm lucky, but I hear it's much more common further north.
daveuk
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Wales

Post by daveuk »

bobw wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 7:14 pm Another species that's disappeared here is Aglais urticae ( Small tortoiseshell). it was one of the commonest species when I was a kid, I used to see many on every Buddleia bush. now I see 2 or 3 a year if I'm lucky, but I hear it's much more common further north.
The Wall disappeared from my part of North Wales within the last twenty five years too Bob. Inexplicable. Small Tortoiseshell are still present though last year's dry hot summer did not suit them & consequently numbers were down considerably. The same applied to Peacocks. The only species of Fritillary in my neck of the woods was The Small Pearl Bordered. As far as I know that has now also disappeared from at least two sites.
wolf
Reactions:
Norway

Post by wolf »

C.pamphilus i caught some years ago showing what i believe is homeosis on the underside hindwings.
C.pamphilus_homeosis.jpg
C.pamphilus_homeosis.jpg (74.55 KiB) Viewed 723 times
daveuk
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Wales

Post by daveuk »

wolf wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 9:19 am C.pamphilus i caught some years ago showing what i believe is homeosis on the underside hindwings.
Lovely specimen. Very rare abb. Well done !!