Share the gems of your insect collection with the InsectNet community
daveuk
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Wales

Morpho anaxibia

Post by daveuk »

My personal favourite of all the Morphos. Mainly for the wonderful rich & unique texture of the wings. I have only one female to go with my males. First picture is of the female. Next picture a pair( same female with one of my males) & the next a picture card issued in 1964 in a series "Butterflies Of The World" by The Brooke Bond Tea company here in the U.K. This was the first time I became aware of this species at the age of six (almost seven !!)
Attachments
Screenshot_20230406_152321_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20230406_152321_Gallery.jpg (314.09 KiB) Viewed 580 times
Screenshot_20230406_152308_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20230406_152308_Gallery.jpg (595.39 KiB) Viewed 580 times
Screenshot_20230406_152257_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20230406_152257_Gallery.jpg (363.42 KiB) Viewed 580 times
Panacanthus
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
United States of America

Re: Morpho anaxibia

Post by Panacanthus »

Agreed - the appearance of the scales and the way they reflect the light is quite unique. I too have just one nice female - they are really exceptional for this species. That’s a nice one you have - great orange markings!
“Seems to me the natural world is the greatest source of excitement; the greatest source of visual beauty; the greatest source of intellectual interest. It is the greatest source of so much in life that makes life worth living.” -David Attenborough
adamcotton
Global Moderators
Global Moderators
Reactions:
Thailand

Post by adamcotton »

The female looks so much better with its abdomen present.

Adam.
Trehopr1
Global Moderators
Global Moderators
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by Trehopr1 »

Ah' yes, one of the best species of the genus !

This one comes from the region of southeastern Brazil. It is quite unique as a species because of its soft blue coloration which is very much unlike the "highly reflective"
rhetenor group and some others. Also a "dusting" or powder of blue coloration is always present on the abdomens of both males and females in this species; unlike any other species in the genus....

Females, command some expensive pricing these days when they are as nice as Dave's. Retail prices typically fall in the 400 to $500 range for females of (top notch) quality. About (half) that if they are wing-marred or otherwise repaired.

I have a fine male example like Dave's but, sadly have never been able to afford a female as of late.

Superb specimens indeed Dave. 🎉👀👏☺️