Incredible Lifelong Insect Collection

Let's talk insect photography & video (macrophotography techniques, best insect pics, ...)
boghaunter1
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Canada

Incredible Lifelong Insect Collection

Post by boghaunter1 »

Have you got half an hour to spare? Check out this fabulous video. It is in German (I think?!... someone please correct me if I'm wrong..), but the language of "bugs" is universal. Does anyone know this collector & can tell us more. Is he still with us? What is the current status of his massive collection? The amazing thing about this collection is that he only shows us a few drawers out of each huge cabinet (even has the Alexandra Birdwing!) & every drawer viewed is spectacular!.... what else is there in the dozens of unseen drawers?... we can only imagine! :o :shock:

Lindenfels Schmetterlingssammlung - Hansjorg Morckel... 29 minutes:

John K. ENJOY! :shock: :shock:
KKarns
Reactions:
United States of America

Re: Incredible Lifelong Insect Collection

Post by KKarns »

Nice video. What a collection! Thanks for posting.
alandmor
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by alandmor »

Besides the incredible collection, what I thought was interesting was all the other "stuff", the handwritten notes in black marker on drawers and the inside of cabinets, the cassette tapes, albums, cd's, insect displays, paper notes and other "stuff" mounted on the cabinets and walls (e.g. 7:12 - 7:20, 9:47 - 10:00, 15:00 - 15:12, 25:00 - end). Apparently insects aren't the only things he collects (link below). Interesting collection/collector for sure!

https://www.bergstraesser-anzeiger.de/o ... 48741.html
Trehopr1
Global Moderators
Global Moderators
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by Trehopr1 »

Wow, that's a "super" collection !

When I say that I mean it's on another (level). It certainly reflects a a lifetime of passion for the hobby and science.

Amazing and well worth watching....

I wonder if our member Hewi knows of this age old collector ?

Thank you for posting this to the forum John.
joachim
Reactions:
Germany

Post by joachim »

https://de.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ellenba ... _Odenwald)
Ist the small Village, His Akzent ist typical for the area. He ist talking about the Lucanus cervus foumd there
Yes an incredible collevtion. Mr morckel ist not foumd in the phone Jochen in Lindenfels, nearby.
For such a collevtion, you need Money, time and a Family
Which accepts this "crazy" Hobby

Joschim
boghaunter1
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Canada

Post by boghaunter1 »

An interesting, recent (2023), uncommonly seen, bug fair from Taiwan featuring mostly beetles (& a few leps.) The first half is a bit boring & features live beetles (some giants though...); last half (30 minutes total) is mostly beautifully mounted deadstock beetles & leps. What spectacular items for sale/displays... certainly nothing like we have here in N. Am.!

And the same show in 2022:

John K.
Last edited by boghaunter1 on Wed Jul 05, 2023 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
boghaunter1
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Canada

Post by boghaunter1 »

And here is a link to A young Asian guy called Dee the Bug Buff. He has many very entertaining videos on reptiles, bugs, birds... you name it! Not in English, but very nice, clear videos & he gives a very hands on approach (takes the bugs out of the containers & shows great closeups) to all the very interesting nature subjects he films. Go through all his videos to pick out the bug ones.... I'm just starting to look at his videos... Wow!

https://www.youtube.com/@deethebugbuff6953

And a link to the 2022 Juvisy, France insect show:

And am older link to the 2017 Insect Fair/Expo in Frankfurt, Germany (deadstock starts at 11:14)

John K.
wollastoni
Site Admin
Site Admin
Reactions:
France

Post by wollastoni »

Haha great Juvisy video ! But this guy owes me some copyright as I appear 2 seconds in the video. (3:43, the guy coming from the right with the wooden entomological suitcase). :)
boghaunter1
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Canada

Post by boghaunter1 »

Daiki Musihioka & friends- a very enthusiastic, young, Japanese U-Tuber with dozens of interesting longer videos centered around insects in & around all the Japanese islands, etc., etc.. Narration is in Japanese (with English common & scientific names for many of his discoveries); he has excellent quality videos of live, exotic insects. He & his friends do a lot of exploring at night & manage to find fascinating "bugs" everywhere they go. Highly entertaining... I wish I had his/their energy, enthusiasm & opportunity!

https://www.youtube.com/@MushiokaDaiki

The following is an hour long video, I just finished watching, of a trip D. M. & some friends took to Australia....wanna see Hercules moths, butterflies, multitudes of amazing Orthoptera, mantids, cicadas, big beetles, Giant Burrowing Cockroaches (being dug out).... & on & on...??

John K.
boghaunter1
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Canada

Post by boghaunter1 »

And another Japanese U-Tuber with lots of interesting "bug" videos:

https://www.youtube.com/@mushitori_channel

John K.