Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Wales

Penthema darlisa

Post by daveuk »

Another of Adam's Laos specimens.
I think this is subspecies mimetica.
Find it really strange that these Satyrid Euploea mimics look so bright in pictures of living specimens I have seen & yet seem comparatively dull when set/spread. This specimen does have a slight purple sheen to the forewings which is not evident in my photo. Photos of living ones seem to positively glow bright blue/purple like their models.
I have a similar papered specimen from South Viet-Nam with different markings on the hindwings. I have read that this is a very variable species.
Attachments
Screenshot_20230322_112258_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20230322_112258_Gallery.jpg (307.08 KiB) Viewed 305 times
adamcotton
Global Moderators
Global Moderators
Reactions:
Thailand

Re: Penthema darlisa

Post by adamcotton »

daveuk wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:28 am Find it really strange that these Satyrid Euploea mimics look so bright in pictures of living specimens I have seen & yet seem comparatively dull when set/spread. This specimen does have a slight purple sheen to the forewings which is not evident in my photo. Photos of living ones seem to positively glow bright blue/purple like their models.
Some subspecies and forms are more blue than others, but I suspect that maybe the photographers in nature use flash for high shutter speed on their cameras, and at the same time that will accentuate the blue sheen.

Adam.