Possible wasp nest?

Request help to identify insects or other creatures. Please post the location that the insect you want to identify came from, this will help greatly in species determination.
Jillernom
Reactions:
Australia

Possible wasp nest?

Post by Jillernom »

I'm in south east suburban Melbourne and something keeps making tiny nests in my outdoor furniture. The opening is around 2mm and depth maybe 1cm or less.

I removed one 4 or 5 days ago and theres a new one there now. Is this some native wasp possibly?

Also since its coming back is something currently preparing the nest and I should leave it alone, or have they already left the nest and I can remove this one as well?

Attachments
20230305_174911.jpg
20230305_174911.jpg (323.3 KiB) Viewed 429 times
adamcotton
Global Moderators
Global Moderators
Reactions:
Thailand

Re: Possible wasp nest?

Post by adamcotton »

This looks like a 'mud dauber' wasp nest. The wasp builds a 'mud' chamber, and when that is completed it will put a paralysed insect (usually a Lepidopteran larva or similar) inside and lay an egg on/in it. Then it will close the entrance of the chamber and leave it alone. Once the chamber has been completed the wasp will not come back to attend it.

I recommend waiting until the wasp has completed the process and then remove the chamber. After that the wasp 'may' build another one, but it is more likely to find another place to build the next chamber. If you remove it before the chamber has been completed the wasp will definitely rebuild it.

Adam.
Jillernom
Reactions:
Australia

Re: Possible wasp nest?

Post by Jillernom »

Thanks for the response Adam :)