Mini-monsters...

Discussion on other insect orders not covered above and on other invertebrates such as arachnids, centipedes, millipedes, etc,
Chuck
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Solomon Islands

Re: Mini-monsters...

Post by Chuck »

livingplanet3 wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 8:02 pm While we're on the topic of large, non-insect arthropods: hanging on my wall, I have this cast resin replica of Mixopterus kiaeri, a large Sea Scorpion (Eurypterid) from the Silurian Period (400 million years ago). It was cast from a specimen found in Norway by Professor Johan Kiaer in 1909. The original is on display in the University of Oslo's Palaeontological Museum. It's quite an exceptional fossil in that it's a complete specimen - usually, all that is found of this species are just isolated pieces of armor. It measures 33" long (83.8 cm) X 12" (30.5 cm) wide -

That is beautiful.

I found a Eurypterid fossil when I was in high school, though only 1/2" long it was complete. Left it in the rock, came back with a hammer and chisel, and couldn't locate it again, even though I was absolutely within a meter of it. I also returned 20 years later, and again couldn't locate it.
boghaunter1
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Canada

Re: Mini-monsters...

Post by boghaunter1 »

Very Interesting... certainly a conversation starter for sure!