General discussion on entomology
Jshuey
Global Moderators
Global Moderators
Reactions:
United States of America

Create a Neotropical Traders "club"?

Post by Jshuey »

If there are field collectors interested in sharing their excess specimens from Latin America, send me a PM. I'd like to create a email-network of collectors interested in exchanges across the region.

Here is how it could work - using me as an example. I'm open for other opinions!
  • I have a few hundred excess butterflies from northern Central America. Nothing too rare, but representing nice diversity including local subspecies.
  • And I'll certainly be in the field on future trips and can custom collect for others.
  • I'd like to trade these away for "bulk" collections of Hesperiidae from other interesting locations with like-minded collectors.
  • But not "junk" specimens - I'm looking for field collectors who know the difference between common crap, and interesting locally common species

The email list would act as a communication tool between like minded people. We could build customized trades, plan for future field sampling and so on.

If you have an interest, let me know (PM me) and I'll see if we hit critical mass to make this work.

John
Chuck
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Solomon Islands

Re: Create a Neotropical Traders "club"?

Post by Chuck »

As you probably know, we ran a Lep swap box for some years. Surprisingly, the program experienced a number of people problems, which I'd detailed in a post either here or the archived forum.

I'd had greater success reaching out to contacts with "I want [XX] have [YYY] to trade". In many cases, collectors are sitting on Neotropical excess and are happy to share it, so long as the recipient isn't an asshat. They don't seem to be too concerned with "swapping for equal quantity/ value" so long as they get something interesting in return.

This I've done via email 1:1, so I can't imagine an email list would differ substantially, though I'm sure you'd find out fast who is a taker and who is a giver.

Institutions seem to be glad to swap excess, though they prefer set and labeled specimens.

I'd unloaded my tropical Hesperiidae long ago, otherwise you'd gladly have a box in the mail today. I still have an envelope of NA Hesperiidae sitting here on my desk that you didn't want, and neither apparently does anyone else. I'll unload them on Cornell next time I'm there.

Good luck, John.