Treehoppers from Ecuador

Let's talk insect photography & video (macrophotography techniques, best insect pics, ...)
boghaunter1
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Canada

Treehoppers from Ecuador

Post by boghaunter1 »

Hello all,

Ran across this interesting video on Youtube about treehoppers... those often bizarre, tiny little plant suckers that can have amazing adornments projecting from their thoraxes. I think many of us will never get a chance to see some of these in real life & this video is quite educational & entertaining at times. I hope our own moderator member by the same avatar name gets a kick out of it ;) (unless, of course... he has already seen it!).

John K.
kevinkk
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
United States of America

Re: Treehoppers from Ecuador

Post by kevinkk »

Some of those youtube videos are good, and they show interesting animals, I just watched a butterfly one where the narrator claimed birdwings
lived in Pakistan. He didn't even mention the Solomon islands. Not exactly what I'd call learning material, but it can be junk food.
Paul K
Meek
Meek
Reactions:
Canada

Post by Paul K »

kevinkk wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:21 am I just watched a butterfly one where the narrator claimed birdwings
lived in Pakistan. He didn't even mention the Solomon islands. Not exactly what I'd call learning material, but it can be junk food.
Troides helena occurs in Pakistan.
Troides are the birdwings.
kevinkk
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by kevinkk »

Paul K wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:40 am
kevinkk wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:21 am I just watched a butterfly one where the narrator claimed birdwings
Troides helena occurs in Pakistan.
Troides are the birdwings.
Thanks for the correction, in any event the video had a number of what I'd call issues with misleading narration. I watch a bug video now and then,
it's just disappointing to see things I know are inaccurate. That's how misinformation perpetuates.
Trehopr1
Global Moderators
Global Moderators
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by Trehopr1 »

Wow !!
What a great video on my beloved side interest.
Thank you sincerely John for posting this video which I have never seen. I am familiar with Stuart (from the Smithsonian) and he is one of the foremost authorities on Membracidae.

The video is wonderful in that it encompasses an entire adventure which unfolds whilst looking for these strange creatures from the inner sphere. It is enjoyable throughout and it shows some of the other researchers involved in the various other aspects of treehopper research.

I noticed a fair number of genera (which I am familiar with) but, there were some that were new to me. I still love these little "brownies" of the insect world and I have a "side" collection of unit trays/drawers dedicated to this specialized interest.

Most of what I have (of course) is of things that I've been able to personally collect from here in my home state. However, I have managed to pick up around 20+ exotic species through the years from offerings on eBay and trips I've made to Ecuador and Bolivia.

Unfortunately, I had to give up the matter of purchasing them from sellers about 4 years ago as the pricing on them "spiked" enormously and pushed me out of the market.

I did see one other video produced by Stuart as well on another of his collecting expeditions and, it too was fascinating to watch and learn from.

Many, many thanks John ! 🎉👏☺️
boghaunter1
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Canada

Post by boghaunter1 »

Glad you liked it Trehopr! I recall in a former forum? you showed us some of your collection of treehoppers. Any chance you could again refresh our memories with some pics of your favourite local/most exotic/bizarre spp.? (group photos as you like, not individual?, as way too much effort I would think...).

Also I am amazed that these strange insects are able to fly successfully while looking so incredibly top heavy! The video says there may be 10,000+ spp. worldwide & that they have been around for 40 million years.... AMAZING indeed! Their often common, mutual association with ants who look after/protect them for their sweet honeydew secretions, same as ants do with aphids, is also very interesting. Over many years I have only collected (ashamedly...Haha!) a couple specimens (as by catch) of what I think are commonly known as "Buffalo" hoppers (square headed with tiny horns in front resembling a buffalo's head). Trehopr/anyone...you don't happen to know of (or own) the book on treehoppers that the lady worldwide expert on the video authored?..; would love to obtain a copy on this obscure insect group.

Another rather strange question? Larger spp. without bizarre horns etc. can be pinned as normal, but what about the really tiny, incredibly bizarre ones... are they pointed/carded/micro pinned/alcohol?... I can't imagine trying to push a springy #0 - #000 -#1 pin through those amazing thorax adornments without wrecking them.

John K.
Trehopr1
Global Moderators
Global Moderators
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by Trehopr1 »

Hello John, I would be very happy to show images of some of the treehoppers that I have encountered both (domestic and foreign)

That is the first mention of a Membracidae guide/book that I have heard of and, I sure will have to look into that matter. I believe, it likely covers how to identify (at least) many of the various (genera) encountered amongst the South American fauna. Cannot imagine a guide of any kind delving much further...

For the most part Membracids should be (pointed) unless they truly are large enough to accept a number one pin. Anything with an elaborate pronotum should be pointed because these structures are hollow and as you mentioned are easily broken off. Pointing is quite easy and I do it with over 90% of the hoppers that I encounter.

It's nice to know that other enthusiasts still find an intriguing fascination with these mostly small sized fellows !! 👏🎉☺️
boghaunter1
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Canada

Post by boghaunter1 »

Look forward to seeing some of those pics (no hurry). Thanks for quick replies. These little beasties have fascinated me for years, especially the bizarre tropical ones. I quit buying exotic insect specimens about 10 years ago (have enough anyway still needing mounting up!) when our Canadian dollar was on par with the US dollar.... now we have to pay a premium exchange rate of around $1.35 CAD for every 1 U.S. dollar making anything I buy in U.S. dollars extremely expensive. Also as you alluded to previously, there are some very well heeled collectors now who compete for rarer/premium specimens, sending prices rocketing skyward well beyond the pocketbooks of "normal" insect hobbyists such as ourselves... :o :shock:

John K.
boghaunter1
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Canada

Post by boghaunter1 »

Ant mimic from French Guiana,

I recently acquired this interesting little treehopper "Cyphonia clavata"... it is so tiny (4.5mm ~ 3/16") that I am afraid to remove it from it's very safe packaging to mount up properly.... The ant mimicry can be seen more clearly from a side view here:

www.inaturalist.org/taxa/518287-Cyphonia-clavata
Treehopper on finger tip best.jpg
Treehopper on finger tip best.jpg (657.05 KiB) Viewed 4362 times

Treehopper Closeup  Small Best.jpg
Treehopper Closeup Small Best.jpg (508.06 KiB) Viewed 4362 times
John K.
Trehopr1
Global Moderators
Global Moderators
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by Trehopr1 »

O'h my John that's a dandy specimen AND genus in general !
Its a very fine example in that it has All its little spines and
protrusions. These are very easily broken off in the "net sweeping"
method of capture commonly used on these.

It is well packaged for (safety) and should be easy to remove. I
recomend pointing it with just a tiny "pin-head " size bead of
elmers or clear nail polish (cured for about 30 sec.).

That way it will be held fast and will be nicely viewable from
all angles. As the bead of glue "sets-up" on the point tip you
can very "gingerly" tease the specimen a little to be level (not canted)
on the point. Just as you see I have done in my photo's.

I will soon post some more of mine ! I just got away from the
subject inadvertantly....

Well Done....
boghaunter1
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Canada

Post by boghaunter1 »

I thought you would like & appreciate this mini beastie Trehopr1! Thanks for tips on mounting it up properly... in time I will build up the courage to do so... I think... :lol:

John K.
boghaunter1
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Canada

Humorous Video - Leaf & Treehopper Friends

Post by boghaunter1 »

Came across yet another rather funny, short video with great live closeups... even one quick shot of "Cyphonia clavata". :lol:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4gJY_5eNqQ

John K.
Trehopr1
Global Moderators
Global Moderators
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by Trehopr1 »

Most excellent John !
Capital... Capital...
Great narration and video overall.
boghaunter1
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Canada

Post by boghaunter1 »

Funky Indeed! Check this out! Great Name, Bizarre Bulb Head!

Funkhousrella bulbiturri, Phillipines
Funkhousrella bulbiturris Philippines -BIZARRE.jpg
Funkhousrella bulbiturris Philippines -BIZARRE.jpg (128.78 KiB) Viewed 4183 times
John K.
Trehopr1
Global Moderators
Global Moderators
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by Trehopr1 »

Now that's an amazing one !
I've never seen it before or the genus name.
Outstanding....
boghaunter1
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Canada

Post by boghaunter1 »

What is it trying to mimic? Kind of looks like a tiny mushroom/toadstool/fungi of some type? Ideas?

John K.
adamcotton
Global Moderators
Global Moderators
Reactions:
Thailand

Post by adamcotton »

boghaunter1 wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 4:24 pm What is it trying to mimic?
Possibly a knobbly protrusion on the plant that it feeds on?

Adam.
Trehopr1
Global Moderators
Global Moderators
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by Trehopr1 »

Indeed Adam, this is what has been mentioned in various articles.