Where can I go?

Discussion on the legal aspects of insect specimen trading and collecting
Reactions:
United States of America

Where can I go?

Post by 777 »

I've never collected any insects from another country but I'm researching about it. Collecting abroad sounds like a nightmare from the threads I've read on the old forums, but I've heard some places are good for collecting. As someone who has no school/museum affiliation and collects as a hobby, what countries can I go to collect tropical insects?
Trehopr1
Global Moderators
Global Moderators
Reactions:
United States of America

Re: Where can I go?

Post by Trehopr1 »

Let me start by saying that personally I am "out of the loop" these days on where to go anymore for exotic type collecting. A few SELECT places may still have no issues
with collecting insects for personal desire.

However, getting anywhere abroad is expensive with air flights, ground transportation to your place of stay, cabin or cottage rental, as well as supply needs or usage of supplies on hand.

French Guyana for example is well known and has several active places where collectors can go and stay for as long as your money holds out. They're pretty much full service providing for just about ALL needs with comfortable cabins, lighting setups, bait traps, decent food, and trips afield with transportation costs attached.

But again to keep in mind --- each and every item checked off on the list comes as a cost ! All of it is exclusive of your airfare costs.

If you do have the means above all (research) the laws of any given country regarding the export of anything that you collect. Also, make sure you will safely get your material back to the country you're living in so that it does not get confiscated by customs !!

All I can add lastly is to make sure that the country that you may go to is SAFE to go to because unfortunately this world has turned on its ear. There are many very questionable countries where kidnapping occurs, a drug trade is present, or rebel groups of one sort or another lurk in the shadows....
58chevy
Meek
Meek
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by 58chevy »

Another option is to collect in parts of the United States that get tropical strays. These include southern Florida, southern Texas, and the mountains of southeast Arizona during monsoon season.
Jshuey
Global Moderators
Global Moderators
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by Jshuey »

As a USA-er - think Puerto Rico or the US Virgin Islands. Private lands require no permit. And no customs as you enter the mainland.

John
wollastoni
Site Admin
Site Admin
Reactions:
France

Post by wollastoni »

In S America : French Guiana. You don't need any permits (just a custom declaration to fill online before arrival and a limit of 1000 specimens/person/year).
Chuck
Premium Member - 2023
Premium Member - 2023
Reactions:
Solomon Islands

Post by Chuck »

I vote French Guiana. As Wollastoni said, no permits, you have Lep-SME guides and places to stay.

There's Thailand as well, no permits, with some prohibitions on species. Still an all-around spectacular place with a lot of non-insects things that are must-experience.

I'm not a fan of Puerto Rico or USVI. Both, particularly USVI, are national parks (no collecting) where there remains forest; not all spots, but a significant percentage. Both would be best with a Lep guide, for which I have no recommendation.

Keep in mind if importing from FG or Thailand, one needs to be registered with USFWS and fill out a 4473 and get an inspection at one of several ports of entry (i.e., you just can fly direct back to Atlanta, it has to be a USFWS inspection port of entry.)

You could do monsoon season in southern AZ, it's like another country with species and volumes of insects coming to MV. It's right on the border, and even when I was there 20 years ago all the local collectors were armed. Then it got burned up in a big fire. It would be good to get an update.
Jshuey
Global Moderators
Global Moderators
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by Jshuey »

Cayenne, French Guiana, would be great if you could get there from the US. But you either have to island hop through the Caribbean, or fly to France. Not cheap..., or timely.

Amazingly, you can get to Georgetown, Guyana on direct flights from Miami, but permits rear their ugly head.

John
Paul K
Reactions:
Canada

Post by Paul K »

Jshuey wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:49 pm Cayenne, French Guiana, would be great if you could get there from the US. But you either have to island hop through the Caribbean, or fly to France. Not cheap..., or timely.

Amazingly, you can get to Georgetown, Guyana on direct flights from Miami, but permits rear their ugly head.

John
In 2004 there was a flight by Air France from Miami to Cayenne and the flight included three stops on each French Caribbean Islands. It was still very expansive Toronto to Cayenne via Miami $2K. I suppose they are not operating anymore ?
Jshuey
Global Moderators
Global Moderators
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by Jshuey »

In 2004 there was a flight by Air France from Miami to Cayenne and the flight included three stops on each French Caribbean Islands. It was still very expansive Toronto to Cayenne via Miami $2K. I suppose they are not operating anymore ?
At minimum, KAYAK could not find any flights from either Indianapolis or Miami.

j
wollastoni
Site Admin
Site Admin
Reactions:
France

Post by wollastoni »

If you find a flight to French Guadeloupe or French Martinique, then you can easily join Cayenne by plane from there.
Chuck
Premium Member - 2023
Premium Member - 2023
Reactions:
Solomon Islands

Post by Chuck »

Miami to Martinique (FDF) then Martinique (FDF) to French Guiana (CAY)

I did it on Expedia, but it wouldn't show up if I MIA -> CAY, I had to find FDF to CAY, then backtrack MIA to FDF

Sorry, I think in airport codes.