Butterflies and 14,000 Ft. Peaks

Let's talk insect photography & video (macrophotography techniques, best insect pics, ...)
neominois
Reactions:
United States of America

Butterflies and 14,000 Ft. Peaks

Post by neominois »

Last summer my daughter and I took a trip to Kite Lake, a high altitude location near Alma Colorado in the central part of the state. I had planned on collecting and filming a lot of butterflies, but the rain kept me from my ultimate goal regarding insects. Here is some footage of our experience camping and hiking Mt. Democrat, a Colorado "14er".

Hope you enjoy!

MikeH
Reactions:
United States of America

Re: Butterflies and 14,000 Ft. Peaks

Post by MikeH »

Tiger moth is Arctia plantaginis I think.
Chuck
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Solomon Islands

Post by Chuck »

Not many butterflies, but a realistic look at the sad investment of time in field work- rain, cold, etc. Timing is everything.

You actually hiked to the top of that 14K peak, that's impressive. I hate hiking up hills, no matter the view; I'm after butterfly data.

Your daughter is funny, so are you. Glad to see she still accompanies you; mine will hike clear terrain like you have, but nobody in the family will go bushwhacking. :-(
neominois
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by neominois »

Thanks Chuck! I was bummed that we got rained out. We actually bailed on camping the second night because it was raining so hard. We left for home at about 6 o'clock.

My daughter is an outdoors person so getting her to go with me is easy. She is the one that drags my sorry butt up those mountains! I'm always looking for butterflies on the hike. It's my excuse for going slow!