My Neominois Investigation

Let's talk insect photography & video (macrophotography techniques, best insect pics, ...)
neominois
Reactions:
United States of America

My Neominois Investigation

Post by neominois »

I worked on the butterfly Neominois ridingsii for my graduate work at Colorado State University. In this video I visit Cherokee Park in Larimer County Colorado in search of video and specimens of the late flyer subspecies wyomingo.

Check out other butterfly videos on my YouTube page:

https://www.youtube.com/@professorgarhart3378
Chuck
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Solomon Islands

Re: My Neominois Investigation

Post by Chuck »

I mean this in the kindest way: It's about time! I've been looking forward to the latest video for what seems like forever.

Very interesting, I'm not familiar with the species, so the intro was neat.

It looks SO dry out there, a completely foreign environment to me. Were there no other Leps flying? No birds, no snakes, it seems so barren.
neominois
Reactions:
United States of America

Re: My Neominois Investigation

Post by neominois »

Thanks for the note!

Sorry for not posting videos, I have more raw footage from this past collecting season that I'm working on, so I'll have another video soon. I also have a video I posted last month that I'll throw up on here. Some leps but not a lot.

As far as habitat goes... it is fairly dry there, but it is normal. End of August in Colorado... tends to be dry. There were some other butterflies out there, but not many. Cercyonis pegala, Danaus plexippus...Colias spp. and some fritillaries were observable. The predominant butterfly was definitely Neominois ridinsgsii. I don't recall much of any wildlife... but I get pretty hyper-focused on Leps when I'm filming and collecting.