Discussion on the legal aspects of insect specimen trading and collecting
Chuck
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Solomon Islands

Biologist gets 3yr probation for Ebay imports

Post by Chuck »

Texas A&M biology professor apparently had a fetish for rare skeletons and such so bought them on Ebay.

Sentenced to 3 years probation, $5000 fine, and lost his job.

He purchased and imported 358 specimens, of which 14 were "protected." I am willing to bet that some or all of those 14 were bait.

https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/texas-bi ... rafficking

THINK before you order that nice specimen from overseas. It's probably actually in California, and the seller isn't a poor farmer, he has a fabulous pension.
kevinkk
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
United States of America

Re: Biologist gets 3yr probation for Ebay imports

Post by kevinkk »

I see a lot of nice eBay specimens I'd like to bid on, all off limits for me, because they're overseas. You can sure buy just about anything on eBay,
there are a lot of items for sale there, I see prohibited items all the time. Sometimes I make a complaint, my pet peev is copyrighted items that I
collect. I see live insect material being offered, and apparently because of the numbers, eBay ignores their own guidelines for live insect material-
which can be offered as feeders only. That's how I list any livestock on eBay, no matter what it is, that Hyalophora euryalus? It's a feeder.
358 is a lot of imports, call me a hypocrite, but I find the sale of mammal specimens along with birds and reptiles stomach turning. it's too creepy
for me, my skeleton collection is in the form of Halloween decor.
Bugplutofarmlandwind
Reactions:
American Samoa

Post by Bugplutofarmlandwind »

That case serves as a valuable reminder to all of us to think twice before making certain purchases, especially when it comes to items that could have legal implications. When it comes to ordering specimens or artifacts from overseas, it's crucial to be cautious and well-informed about the legal requirements and restrictions that may apply. It's not uncommon for certain items to be protected or regulated due to conservation efforts or cultural significance. Ignorance of these regulations can lead to serious consequences, as seen in the professor's case.

It's essential to consider the long-term implications of legal consequences, especially when it comes to employment prospects. Being sentenced to probation means that the professor will have a criminal record, even if it's a non-incarceration sentence. This record can have lasting effects on their professional life, as future employers often conduct screenings as part of their hiring process. While each employer evaluates candidates differently, it's important to acknowledge that a criminal record, including being on probation, can raise concerns for certain positions, particularly those that require trust, responsibility, or working with vulnerable populations.

If you're ever considering purchasing something like a unique specimen from overseas, take the time to research the rules and regulations associated with it. Familiarize yourself with the applicable laws in your country or state, as well as any international conventions or agreements that may be relevant. It's also a good idea to verify the credibility and legitimacy of the seller before making any transactions. Look for reputable sources and sellers who have a solid track record and positive reviews from other customers. If in doubt, you can even reach out to relevant authorities or experts in the field to seek guidance or clarification.

Admin note : spammy link removed
Chuck
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Solomon Islands

Post by Chuck »

Bugplutofarmlandwind wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 4:47 pm
If you're ever considering purchasing something like a unique specimen from overseas, take the time to research the rules and regulations associated with it. Familiarize yourself with the applicable laws in your country or state, as well as any international conventions or agreements that may be relevant.
Like, what is the comprehensive list of applicable laws and international conventions for importing dead wildlife specimens from, say, Angola? If my homies want to import, might I comply with some laws, the other homies comply with various other laws, and an aggregate we compile with all laws? What about importing to USA from Canada, for which the Treaty of Jay assures unencumbered travel and trade across the Great Lakes, can we just defer to Treaty of Jay, which has never been rescinded?