Important news, upcoming events, etc.
wollastoni
Site Admin
Site Admin
Reactions:
France

RIP Les Day

Post by wollastoni »

Our dear friend Les Day passed away in his beloved Koh Samui.

Leslie was a British entomologist who had been living on Koh Samui for about 15 years.

When he lived in England, he was very interested in Delias and built a large collection, he also created the website Delias of the World, then once settled in Thailand, he dedicated himself exclusively to the insects of Koh Samui and described many new species. He was passionate about insects, nature and an excellent photographer.

I owe to Les Day my passion for Delias thanks to his website which he passed on to me about ten years ago. I remember the fascination I had when I was browsing the pages of his site. I also remember his help and his kindness when we discussed together about the possible improvements on the site.

We will miss you, Les! R.I.P. !
RIP-Les-Day.png
RIP-Les-Day.png (418.27 KiB) Viewed 2290 times
Chuck
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Solomon Islands

Re: RIP Les Day

Post by Chuck »

Terrible loss. I didn't know him, but of course know his name. I'll bet he was exciting to do field work with.
daveuk
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Wales

Post by daveuk »

Sorry for your loss Olivier. And ours.
adamcotton
Global Moderators
Global Moderators
Reactions:
Thailand

Post by adamcotton »

I was going to post the very sad news here, after just being told about it this evening, but I see Olivier heard first.

I only met Les once, but we communicated by e-mail and occasionally by phone for many years. He was definitely a leading light in the study of butterflies of Koh Samui island in south Thailand. After handing control of the Delias website to Olivier he also maintained a separate website about butterflies of Koh Samui, http://www.samuibutterflies.com/home/ . Hopefully someone will keep that website running.

RIP Les.

Adam.
Chuck
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Solomon Islands

Post by Chuck »

adamcotton wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 1:06 pm he also maintained a separate website about butterflies of Koh Samui, http://www.samuibutterflies.com/home/ . Hopefully someone will keep that website running.
I've seen fabulous internet resources disappear when the founder/maintainer no longer can. It doesn't take long for the paid hosting and URL to disappear, sold off, and then the content is lost. It's pretty easy to download web content and store it away.

Humbly suggest that Olivier, who has experience with websites, try to track down ownership and content.
eurytides
Meek
Meek
Reactions:
Canada

Post by eurytides »

Agree with Chuck. It would be a nice way of honoring his legacy and memory to ensure his work is not lost.
wollastoni
Site Admin
Site Admin
Reactions:
France

Post by wollastoni »

Chuck wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 1:39 pm Humbly suggest that Olivier, who has experience with websites, try to track down ownership and content.
I would be happy to help but have no idea if Les gave the ownership to anyone or at least its registar information... I will ask one of our common friend.