General discussion on entomology
Chuck
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Solomon Islands

Reminder: it's winter, kill your Dermestids

Post by Chuck »

For those of you in the northern reaches (say, Texas these days) it's now winter and sub-zero.

Now is a great time to rotate your collection through the garage, 48 hours. *caveat: Adam says to do it twice because the first time does not kill eggs; this is not my experience, but you make the call.

I usually rotate three to five Cornell drawers at a time through the garage when I'm certain the garage is going to be well below freezing for the 48 hours.

Doesn't hurt to do likewise with papered specimens, though I know many of you already keep them in the freezer.
livingplanet3
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
United States of America

Re: Reminder: it's winter, kill your Dermestids

Post by livingplanet3 »

Chuck wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 7:56 pm I usually rotate three to five Cornell drawers at a time through the garage when I'm certain the garage is going to be well below freezing for the 48 hours...
Are Cornell drawers not pest-tight? I don't have any of these drawers myself, but as they have long been a standard for museum collections, had assumed that they have some kind of closure that prevents the entry of pests?
Trehopr1
Global Moderators
Global Moderators
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by Trehopr1 »

I have been using Cornell drawers exclusively since 1986 and when (they are made properly) with the right equipment; they offer the closest tolerances that you will find of any drawer design.

I've never had a dermestid issue yet in any of my Cornell (purchased) drawers.

However, sometimes collectors or other handyman will try to copy the design and repeat it but, they lack the proper equipment to get the close tolerances so these self-made drawers have a certain sloppiness about them and the potential is there for things to get in.

I've got about a dozen such drawers that I have acquired from old collections and they are the only ones that I fumigate for safety sake.

Vigilant checking of one's collection is the best preventative against dermestid infestation. Also, when you do have a drawer lid removed it is best to limit the specimen exposure time. New items aquired should go through a (wait time) before being added to any drawer.
Chuck
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Solomon Islands

Post by Chuck »

Pretty much what Trehopr said, though I'll add a direct answer: no. I did a lot of dermestid mitigation work on a large collection, and some of the worst were in Cornell Drawers that were very tight and seemed like there was no way a Dermestic could get in. Cornell has a lot of (you guessed it) Cornell drawers, and replaces when possible those with loose lids, however, they keep pests out of the entire room.
Trehopr1
Global Moderators
Global Moderators
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by Trehopr1 »

What do you store your specimens in livingplanet3 ?
livingplanet3
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by livingplanet3 »

Trehopr1 wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 1:25 am What do you store your specimens in livingplanet3 ?
My mounted specimens are in displays (large wooden shadow boxes) that have had all of their seams carefully sealed with either silicone or glue, and then I've applied heavy tape all the way around the lids, to make them as airtight as possible. I've had such displays hanging on the wall since the mid-1980s, and not had any pests get into them, as of yet.

I keep my papered specimens sealed in 1-gallon zip-seal freezer bags, placed inside latching, plastic storage boxes that have a foam gasket in the lid -

58chevy
Meek
Meek
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by 58chevy »

I have a few Japanese boxes that are absolutely dermestid-proof. I don't even use anti-pest chemicals in them and have never had (in at least 10 years) a single dermestid get in. I don't know the brand name, but I mentioned these boxes in a post several years ago and somebody replied with a brand name. Maybe the responder will see this post and reply.