Bed bugs on photographs - how to deal

General discussion on entomology
Gloree
Reactions:
United States of America

Bed bugs on photographs - how to deal

Post by Gloree »

Hello, Everyone.
Can bed bugs attach themselves to photo albums and to loose photos? If so, can I put the photos in the dryer or will it ruin them? Thanks!
Chuck
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Solomon Islands

Re: Bed bugs on photographs - how to deal

Post by Chuck »

Bed bugs have small claws, so are able to grab / attach themselves to a variety of surfaces. There is a limit; for example, I've never seen one climb glass. But certainly they can cling to photo albums and loose photos.

You can put the photos in the dryer. Depending on the period since it was last run, there is likely to be a lower level of humidity in the dryer than in the surrounding air, thus would then draw moisture from the photos, which in general is good.

Use caution turning on the dryer though.

If you hear "whump whump whump" that's kinetic energy being transferred to the dryer. Assuming you have a traditional drum dryer, as the drum rotates it increases the potential kinetic energy in the photos. Eventually Newton's Law of gravity overcomes centrifugal force and friction, and the photos will head for sea level. When they meet the drum of the dryer the potential energy becomes kinetic energy which is transferred to the dryer.

Meanwhile, the dryer imparts thermal energy to the photos.

For both the kinetic energy and thermal energy, potentially undesirable outcomes may occur. You'd have to know the type of photos (e.g., tin types, Polaroid Instant, on Kodachrome, or injet on copy paper) as well be able to calculate the kinetic energy and thermal energy generated by the dryer, most of which can be calculated from technical specifications found in the user's manual.

Are you in California or NYC?
Gloree
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by Gloree »

Wow. That is scientific!!!! My mom passed away in California. Her apartment manager is going to send her photos to me in Michigan. She had mentioned that she had bed bugs. That's why I'm asking. Thanks for your answer by the way.
livingplanet3
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by livingplanet3 »

Gloree wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 12:56 pm Hello, Everyone.
Can bed bugs attach themselves to photo albums and to loose photos? If so, can I put the photos in the dryer or will it ruin them? Thanks!
Probably the best and safest option for killing bed bugs on small items, especially things that would be damaged or destroyed by heat, would be to seal them up in plastic bags and put them in a freezer for at least several days -

https://www.bedbugs.umn.edu/bed-bug-con ... s/freezing