Reactions:
United States of America

Ornithoptera tithonus

Post by Trehopr1 »

Here's a nice species which seems to get "lesser" attention
than some of the other well known birdwings. I show it here
not only to highlight its own magnificence but, to also show
that some of these large butterflies have the most plumous
(if not exaggerated) androconial hairs present on any butterfly.

My particular male is from an older collection and hails from
Waigiou, New Guinea (1935).

daveuk
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Wales

Re: Ornithoptera tithonus

Post by daveuk »

I have a couple of pairs of this striking birdwing from Arfak West Papua. The first & largest pair date from 1983. The second pair are from 2006.
Attachments
Screenshot_20221210-102051_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20221210-102051_Gallery.jpg (334.83 KiB) Viewed 649 times
Screenshot_20221210-102045_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20221210-102045_Gallery.jpg (320.04 KiB) Viewed 649 times
Chuck
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Solomon Islands

Post by Chuck »

I have a pair that look like Dave's lower pair; Meni, Arfak Mts. They came from either Ianni, or DeRosa, I'd have to look. I keep some Ornithoptera because they're very popular at education exhibits. When I was looking for my tithonus I found that I somehow still have a pair of goliath, I thought I'd given them all away. Oh well, it's for the children. Admittedly, I don't even look at the Ornithoptera, so Dave's photos are inviting because I can then appreciate them for the shapes and colors, like most people do- I'm too far in the weeds sometimes.
jhyatt
Meek
Meek
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by jhyatt »

Nice to see a specimen from Waigeo. Material from that island is apparently rare in collections. As I recall, Waigeo is the type locality of O. tithonus.
jh
daveuk
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Wales

Post by daveuk »

Chuck wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 2:18 pm I have a pair that look like Dave's lower pair; Meni, Arfak Mts. They came from either Ianni, or DeRosa, I'd have to look. I keep some Ornithoptera because they're very popular at education exhibits. When I was looking for my tithonus I found that I somehow still have a pair of goliath, I thought I'd given them all away. Oh well, it's for the children. Admittedly, I don't even look at the Ornithoptera, so Dave's photos are inviting because I can then appreciate them for the shapes and colors, like most people do- I'm too far in the weeds sometimes.
Thanks Chuck. The top pair were from a British dealer purchased already spread/set. This dealer told me that in the 60s & 70s he regularly had bred pairs of O alexandrae from PNG which he sold for £30 a pair.
The bottom pair was from Ken Thorne in Canada. Spread these myself.
Can well understand the children appreciating goliath & other Ornithoptera. Did not actually see a real goliath myself until I was in my late 20s.
Trehopr1
Global Moderators
Global Moderators
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by Trehopr1 »

Hi Dave,
I know the man who sold Chuck Ianni his business in 1977. Prior to 1977 when this man was a dealer here he told me that he used to get pairs of O. alexandrae (at cost) for $80 a pair. He also said he used to reject them if he did not receive them in what (he felt) was A1 condition.

Of course, he then remarked that he was sorry for not having saved those A2's in a tupperware container until years later -- for "silent" dispersal...
Trehopr1
Global Moderators
Global Moderators
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by Trehopr1 »

If someone can come up with O. chimaera to show us (on a separate thread) that would be nice. I've never found a truly A1 quality example (or pair) present in the old collections which I have reviewed over the years.

It seems (at least here in the U.S.) that this species has been rather exclusive to own or acquire (at least prior to) the late 1970s. Have seen fewer than 10 specimens from the late seventies on. Always pricey to purchase I suppose....

Of the ones I did see I just didn't deem them worth the asking price given their (less than) A1 condition.

I have read that this is the "highest elevation" occurring species of birdwing butterfly; so, that makes it quite unique and the species overall is absolutely stunning.
Trehopr1
Global Moderators
Global Moderators
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by Trehopr1 »

Thank you jhyatt. I have been very much unaware of this unique locality.

Nice to know that it is rather "special" in that way.
daveuk
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Wales

Post by daveuk »

Trehopr1 wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 6:43 pm If someone can come up with O. chimaera to show us (on a separate thread) that would be nice. I've never found a truly A1 quality example (or pair) present in the old collections which I have reviewed over the years.

It seems (at least here in the U.S.) that this species has been rather exclusive to own or acquire (at least prior to) the late 1970s. Have seen fewer than 10 specimens from the late seventies on. Always pricey to purchase I suppose....

Of the ones I did see I just didn't deem them worth the asking price given their (less than) A1 condition.

I have read that this is the "highest elevation" occurring species of birdwing butterfly; so, that makes it quite unique and the species overall is absolutely stunning.
I have a couple of pairs of O chimaera from PNG I got a few years back from Ken Thorne in Canada & a battered old pair(the female especially) from West Papua from the same British dealer in the 1980s. I will get some pictures done & start or contribute to a thread with them Trehopr.
jhyatt
Meek
Meek
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by jhyatt »

Trehopr1 wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 6:51 pm Thank you jhyatt. I have been very much unaware of this unique locality.

Nice to know that it is rather "special" in that way.
Forgive me in my error. Waigeo is apparently not the type locality of O. tithonus. O. tithonus tithonus De Haan, 1841 was described from Kapaur, on the Onin peninsula of New Guinea. You Waigeo specimen would be referable to O. tithonus waigeuensis Rothschild 1897.

The birdwing having Waigeo as type locality is in fact Ornithoptera goliath Oberthur 1888.

My memory doesn't seem to be getting better with age!

Cheers,
jh