Share the gems of your insect collection with the InsectNet community
livingplanet3
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
United States of America

Consul panariste

Post by livingplanet3 »

This is the best photo I've ever come across of Consul panariste; I've never seen a pinned specimen this brilliant. Perhaps it's because it was photographed in sunlight? -

https://www.flickr.com/photos/140413390@N06/49934256711
Trehopr1
Global Moderators
Global Moderators
Reactions:
United States of America

Re: Consul panariste

Post by Trehopr1 »

I personally think that fully 1/3 (at least) of modern photography has had some kind of "artistic merit" (tweaking) ferreted into it to make it more spectacular -- than in reality.

In this case the blue is too vibrant and morpho-like to be believable. The yellow is also too yellowish/orange then one will ever likely see a real specimen. I have seen specimens of the real thing and I have never seen anything resembling this; although this is a spectacular species in its own right.

I would also add that it almost looks like this butterfly was photoshopped onto the leaf of the background because the butterfly has its proboscis extended like it was drinking at a water puddle however, the leaf itself has no water droplets on it.

The tip of the left forewing does show a shadow but, that too could have been present on the ground where the butterfly's picture was taken and it was left in to make it look like it was resting on the leaf.
livingplanet3
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by livingplanet3 »

Trehopr1 wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 12:12 am I personally think that fully 1/3 (at least) of modern photography has had some kind of "artistic merit" (tweaking) ferreted into it to make it more spectacular -- than in reality...
I hope this image hasn't been enhanced, but good point - this could indeed be a case of "too good to be true".
daveuk
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Wales

Post by daveuk »

livingplanet3 wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:44 pm This is the best photo I've ever come across of Consul panariste; I've never seen a pinned specimen this brilliant. Perhaps it's because it was photographed in sunlight? -
Does not look very convincing to me. The colours look saturated.
My two pairs of this species are from Colombia in 1985. Old picture showing the two pairs & more recent picture of the two males. The purple reflections are very pronounced at certain angles but usually only on one pair of wings at a time on set specimens it seems.
Attachments
Screenshot_20221204-012022_Instagram.jpg
Screenshot_20221204-012022_Instagram.jpg (171.16 KiB) Viewed 1386 times
Screenshot_20221204-012754_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20221204-012754_Gallery.jpg (382.75 KiB) Viewed 1386 times
58chevy
Meek
Meek
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by 58chevy »

The specimen pictured at the top looks like a photoshop job to me. I have some experience with Photoshop. However, DaveUK's specimens are almost as spectacular and much more natural-looking. Fantastic species. Both sexes look amazing.
adamcotton
Global Moderators
Global Moderators
Reactions:
Thailand

Post by adamcotton »

I think this photo was taken with flash (see the white flash reflection at the bottom left), and then it will have been enhanced using software.

Flash often makes structural colour such as the blue on this specimen more vivid, but I doubt that flash alone will have resulted in this photo. Nowadays it seems most photographs (nature or otherwise) are 'tweaked' at least a little.
Trehopr1 wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 12:12 am I would also add that it almost looks like this butterfly was photoshopped onto the leaf of the background because the butterfly has its proboscis extended like it was drinking at a water puddle however, the leaf itself has no water droplets on it.
I doubt that this butterfly was photoshopped onto the leaf. There may well be a small patch of something (maybe liquid bait on a piece of cotton wool or tissue) directly below the butterfly. With the butterfly immediately on top of the bait it is invisible in the photo.

Adam.
daveuk
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Wales

Post by daveuk »

58chevy wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 4:15 am The specimen pictured at the top looks like a photoshop job to me. I have some experience with Photoshop. However, DaveUK's specimens are almost as spectacular and much more natural-looking. Fantastic species. Both sexes look amazing.
Thank You 58chevy.
I have known about this species from a very early age. I will be 65 in January. When I was six in 1964 the Brooke Bond Tea company here in the U.K. issued picture cards in their packets of tea for the series Butterflies of the World. Pictures of front cover of the album & the Consul panariste card & description. Described here as Anaea panariste.
The album I had when I was six sadly disappeared during house moves etc. Luckily this series is still available relatively cheaply on ebay. Many thousands of the original cards & albums were no doubt printed.
Attachments
Screenshot_20221204-095211_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20221204-095211_Gallery.jpg (323.42 KiB) Viewed 1356 times
Screenshot_20221204-095217_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20221204-095217_Gallery.jpg (292.93 KiB) Viewed 1356 times
mothman55
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Canada

Post by mothman55 »

The photo was likely just edited, no need for photoshop. Just turned up the brilliance/vibrance dial in editing and you get a beautiful brilliant photo, but sadly not what it really looked like. No doubt it was a beautiful, but the colours not quite what show in the photo. I see it all the time.
livingplanet3
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by livingplanet3 »

Thanks to all for your comments. I'm now of the opinion that this image has, at the least, had its colors digitally intensified.
livingplanet3
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by livingplanet3 »

daveuk wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:04 am ...When I was six in 1964 the Brooke Bond Tea company here in the U.K. issued picture cards in their packets of tea for the series Butterflies of the World. Pictures of front cover of the album & the Consul panariste card & description. Described here as Anaea panariste...
Many thanks for uploading that; always interested to see insect-related memorabilia.
livingplanet3
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by livingplanet3 »

What is the blue and black butterfly to the right of Zerene cesonia? A species of Eunica, perhaps? -

jhyatt
Meek
Meek
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by jhyatt »

The panariste photo that started this discussion bothers me in another way which I don't think has been mentioned... it looks to me as if the left fw apex is casting a distinct shadow on the leaf, but the left tail isn't. The tail would have to be lying flat on the leaf to make this happen, and I don't think the butterfly is likely to adopt such a posture. And I agree that the colors have been fiddled with!

jh
daveuk
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Wales

Post by daveuk »

livingplanet3 wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:44 pm What is the blue and black butterfly to the right of Zerene cesonia? A species of Eunica, perhaps?
It's a male Asterope sapphira.. then known as Callithea sapphira. From Brazil. Here are a pair from my collection.

The painting does resemble a Eunica in colouration more though.Like the male Eunica alcmena from Peru in the second picture
Attachments
Screenshot_20221204-225320_Instagram.jpg
Screenshot_20221204-225320_Instagram.jpg (379.2 KiB) Viewed 1291 times
Screenshot_20221204-232631_Instagram.jpg
Screenshot_20221204-232631_Instagram.jpg (183.73 KiB) Viewed 1291 times
Paul K
Meek
Meek
Reactions:
Canada

Post by Paul K »

I personally think it is pinned specimen placed on the leaf.
There are only few species that rest with almost 90° angle and C.panariste is none of them as it can be looked on many other photos on internet.
Borearctia
Reactions:
Cambodia

Post by Borearctia »

The photo of OP is signed by Luis M. Constantino.
I assume that this is Luis Miguel Constantino, a well-known researcher and entomologist from Colombia.
He has posted quite a few pictures on Flickr with similar photographic skill.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/140413390@N06/
Since Flickr is not a scientific website, manipulation of the images posted there is legitimate in my view.
livingplanet3
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by livingplanet3 »

daveuk wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:59 pm It's a male Asterope sapphira.. then known as Callithea sapphira. From Brazil. Here are a pair from my collection...
That's a really stunning species. Probably the closest thing that I have to it in my collection, is Asterope leprieuri -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asterope_ ... 13885).jpg

https://cahurel-entomologie.com/gs/inde ... d=asterope
kevinkk
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by kevinkk »

A lot of shiny butterflies that don't need image manipulation. I agree the subject specimen looks fake. That is it is a fake photo of a real insect,
It's just like the way people are manipulated in advertising in one respect, A little vasaline on the lens and mood lighting, and you're a model.
Fake is fake and if it's fake, there's no other way to look at it, it's an impossibility and just like repro art has little value other than eye candy,
I think the natural world does well enough without being manipulated. I recall there were some hi-res images posted some time back that were
some kind of layering , if I recall that correctly, those images are/were in a different class deserving some merit.
Although- I suppose your model doesn't always cooperate, I tried a few times this last season to get some of those great shots, and just before
closing in, the butterfly decided to fly off, hey! I just want a picture. Next time you'll come home in a jar and then we'll see.
jhyatt
Meek
Meek
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by jhyatt »

Speaking of faked photos, my pet peeve is one I keep seeing in ads -- a male Morpho didius sitting on a flower. Bugs me to death!

jh
kevinkk
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by kevinkk »

jhyatt wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:39 pm Speaking of faked photos, my pet peeve is one I keep seeing in ads -- a male Morpho didius sitting on a flower. Bugs me to death!

jh
Things like that are really a disservice to the hobby. People are expecting one thing, and the reality is different. It's just one of those things I suppose,
we have a great gift shop here in town called "Prehistoric" and they sell replica and real fossils, as well as other natural oddities, in one display
are the big bugs- all with nothing even coming close to data, not even the Latin. That's just sales for you. For the prices I'd expect some detail.
livingplanet3
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by livingplanet3 »

jhyatt wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:39 pm Speaking of faked photos, my pet peeve is one I keep seeing in ads -- a male Morpho didius sitting on a flower. Bugs me to death!

jh
Also - this, does not happen -

https://mymodernmet.com/kelvin-hudson-b ... y-picture/

https://kelvinhudson.com/animals