It's just a word-

Off-topic discussions. Be nice. No politics/religions/insults (as on the rest of the forum).
kevinkk
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
United States of America

It's just a word-

Post by kevinkk »

I have been reading posts as usual, things lately are over my experience and or field of interest, that is I haven't felt as though I have anything
to contribute lately.
However- I see it's donation time again, I can participate in that. "premium member".. that must be an appreciation of my
support, my status as a "premium" individual is certainly up for conjecture. I've noticed a number of different designations,
and I'm curious.
Perhaps we could have a guide explaining the differences.
adamcotton
Global Moderators
Global Moderators
Reactions:
Thailand

Re: It's just a word-

Post by adamcotton »

I don't know the exact number of posts for each 'level', but most designations are dependent on the number of posts a member has made to the forum.

I am sure Olivier can provide a list.

Adam.
Chuck
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Solomon Islands

Post by Chuck »

kevinkk wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:38 pm I haven't felt as though I have anything
to contribute lately.
Everyone has something to contribute. Every contribution adds to our understanding of entomology.

The more research I do, the more I realize how little we know.

Perhaps there are those who have a small collection of eastern US/ Canada Lycaenidae that is seemingly insignificant. Well, as of late, every specimen may be important, since the systematics recently was turned on its head. We just saw a discussion on Anea, and quite clearly a butterfly that's in our back yard may not be so easily pidgeonholed into the systematics as we understand it. I could go on.

Even if one considers their reference collection, and/or their methods, to be basic, there are new people coming here. They need the basics more than they do lessons on MtDNA. Personally, I'm interested in seeing photos of environments in which people conduct field work.

I don't care if it's a photo of one common specimen, or an analysis of variation in morphology, or a short field report. It's worth reading. I have no Agrias, but do appreciate the many photos posted lately; perhaps because I don't "do" Agrias I can actually appreciate them like a layperson for the color and variation. Wolf's field photos from Norway are amazing, it's like a travel journal for people who don't care to visit cities or the resorts in Bali.

Every post, every photo, every observation has value. If it doesn't today, it will tomorrow.
eurytides
Meek
Meek
Reactions:
Canada

Post by eurytides »

Very well said Chuck.
kevinkk
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by kevinkk »

eurytides wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:23 pm Very well said Chuck.
I know everyone does have something, and I have liked the Agrias as well, but it's just interesting, and I find all that hybridization
a little overwhelming, and for hybrids, I've seen the dubernardi x graellsia crosses, and other crosses with isabellae, I can get behind that,
I couldn't get my isabellae even to pair , I tried 3 times and that's not cheap, let alone getting the timing right to get a hybrid.

Anyway, I am curious and maybe projecting my particular sense of humor in asking abut designations, for instance, I see Chuck is "meek"
what's with that? I think I recall seeing some Darwin, I can take a guess at that, this is the porchlight thread after all.
Do not worry, I'll chime in when I think my thoughts need some air. And I've learned how to post photos- a milestone in communication,
it certainly brings things to the upper level, be it specimens, or things like Cabintom's photo journalism.
adamcotton
Global Moderators
Global Moderators
Reactions:
Thailand

Post by adamcotton »

A. S. Meek was a famous insect collector, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Stewart_Meek

Presumably one of the levels (number of posts) is named after him.

Adam.
wollastoni
Site Admin
Site Admin
Reactions:
France

Post by wollastoni »

It is called "ranks" on phpbb software.

Here are the existing ranks :
- New members : 1 to 4 posts
- Junior members : 5 to 99 posts
- Meek : 100 to 499 posts
- Wallace : 500 to 1999 posts
- Darwin : more than 2000 posts

Special ranks :
- Premium members : member who help finance the forum fees.
- Moderators/Admin
kevinkk
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by kevinkk »

I see, Thanks Olivier.