Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Wales

Idea(Danainae)

Post by daveuk »

Rice paper butterflies.
First picture a pair of Idea agamarschana cadelli from Andamans
Second picture Idea tambusisiana from Sulawesi. Top specimen nominate female. Bottom specimen male subspecies hideoi.
Bottom picture pair of Idea lynceus from Malayasia
Attachments
Screenshot_20220729-211831_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220729-211831_Gallery.jpg (462.69 KiB) Viewed 1289 times
Screenshot_20220729-211806_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220729-211806_Gallery.jpg (482.6 KiB) Viewed 1289 times
Screenshot_20220730-231914_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220730-231914_Gallery.jpg (386.12 KiB) Viewed 1289 times
Trehopr1
Global Moderators
Global Moderators
Reactions:
United States of America

Re: Idea(Danainae)

Post by Trehopr1 »

Those are a wonderful selection of species Dave !

I have always really liked these butterflies but, I have only three of the commonly offered species myself. I have never seen any of these offered here nor have I seen them in personal collections.

If you happen to have any other particularly unique ones (like these) please show them when possible....

Many enthusiasts don't realize that the black and white color scheme of these butterflies (along with their dappled markings) allows these large butterflies to blend in in plain sight as it literally breaks up the image of the butterfly when resting. Even in flight it's surprisingly easy to lose sight of such a butterfly; our native Zebra Swallowtail has proven this to me on numerous occasions.
daveuk
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Wales

Post by daveuk »

Trehopr1 wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:51 pm Those are a wonderful selection of species Dave !

I have always really liked these butterflies but, I have only three of the commonly offered species myself. I have never seen any of these offered here nor have I seen them in personal collections.

If you happen to have any other particularly unique ones (like these) please show them when possible....

Many enthusiasts don't realize that the black and white color scheme of these butterflies (along with their dappled markings) allows these large butterflies to blend in in plain sight as it literally breaks up the image of the butterfly when resting. Even in flight it's surprisingly easy to lose sight of such a butterfly; our native Zebra Swallowtail has proven this to me on numerous occasions.
Thank You Trehopr.
I do have some more species of Idea so will dig some of those out to photograph & post when I can.The top two species posted here are the rarest I have.
adamcotton
Global Moderators
Global Moderators
Reactions:
Thailand

Post by adamcotton »

daveuk wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:14 pm The top two species posted here are the rarest I have.
I was going to say that Idea agamarschana is the Holy Grail of the genus.

Adam.
Panacanthus
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by Panacanthus »

Dave - the Idea agamarschana are outstanding!

I think that both of your I. tambusisiana may be ssp. hideoi. I am definitely no expert on these, however, so I may be wrong. I have photographed my pair of Idea t. hideoi, as well as my pair of Idea t. tambusisiana for comparison. Again, it could be mine which are misidentified but I am fairly sure they are correct.

Idea tambusisiana tambusisiana - the data I received is simply Central Sulawesi
ITT IN.jpg
ITT IN.jpg (795.2 KiB) Viewed 1237 times

Idea tambusisiana hideoi - Sampurangga, Central Sulawesi
ITH IN.jpg
ITH IN.jpg (766.84 KiB) Viewed 1237 times

And thrown in for fun - Idea electra from the Philippines - I've always liked the yellow on this species!
IE IN.jpg
IE IN.jpg (731.32 KiB) Viewed 1237 times
“Seems to me the natural world is the greatest source of excitement; the greatest source of visual beauty; the greatest source of intellectual interest. It is the greatest source of so much in life that makes life worth living.” -David Attenborough
Trehopr1
Global Moderators
Global Moderators
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by Trehopr1 »

OMG... You guys are just "slaying me" 😩 with these outstanding Idea species that you have acquired !!

Just incredible stuff 👍👏☺️

And of course (as always) outstanding photography to go along with such wonderful examples. 😎
daveuk
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Wales

Post by daveuk »

Panacanthus wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:47 pm Dave - the Idea agamarschana are outstanding!

I think that both of your I. tambusisiana may be ssp. hideoi. I am definitely no expert on these, however, so I may be wrong. I have photographed my pair of Idea t. hideoi, as well as my pair of Idea t. tambusisiana for comparison. Again, it could be mine which are misidentified but I am fairly sure they are correct.

Idea tambusisiana tambusisiana - the data I received is simply Central

ITT IN.jpg

Idea tambusisiana hideoi - Sampurangga, Central Sulawesi

ITH IN.jpg

And thrown in for fun - Idea electra from the Philippines - I've always liked the yellow on this species!

IE IN.jpg
They are all absolutely wonderful specimens. You are right about my tambususiana being subspecies hldeoi. This is the first time I have ever seen the nominate. Thank You.Truly spectacular!! That's a lovely pair of I electra you have too. Only have a male in my collection.
daveuk
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Wales

Post by daveuk »

New acquisition:
A male Idea leuconoe riukiuensis from Ishigaki Island Japan.
Attachments
Screenshot_20221120-230344_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20221120-230344_Gallery.jpg (279.76 KiB) Viewed 1142 times
wollastoni
Site Admin
Site Admin
Reactions:
France

Post by wollastoni »

Very nice !

I met Idea only once in the field (on Biak island, New Guinea). They are very delicate, slow flying beauties. Wonderful to see.
daveuk
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Wales

Post by daveuk »

wollastoni wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:53 am Very nice !

I met Idea only once in the field (on Biak island, New Guinea). They are very delicate, slow flying beauties. Wonderful to see.
Same here Olivier
The only time I saw Idea in the wild was in Sabah, Borneo in 2008. As you say such graceful butterflies.
Trehopr1
Global Moderators
Global Moderators
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by Trehopr1 »

Very nice indeed !

Beautiful species...😎
wolf
Reactions:
Norway

Post by wolf »

Only Idea sp. i have in my collection is I.leuconoe, which i believe are one of the more common species.
First one from Tioman Island in Malaysia. I. leuconoe chersonesia.

Second one from Palawan, The Philippines. I. leuconoe princesa
daveuk
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Wales

Post by daveuk »

Like the Malaysian specimen very much. Not seen one like it. It's a wonderful genus.
adamcotton
Global Moderators
Global Moderators
Reactions:
Thailand

Post by adamcotton »

Tioman Island has many endemic subspecies.

Adam.
wolf
Reactions:
Norway

Post by wolf »

adamcotton wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:31 pm Tioman Island has many endemic subspecies.
Tioman Island was a beautiful place. I was in Malaysia in 2007 with my family, and we visited and stayed at the island for 5 nights. At that time there was no road connection between the different villages/hotels along the beaches. U either had to walk through jungle or go by boat to the next village. I only saw a few Idea one day out of the total stay.
On another note there was a small river running behind the hotel area where there was alot of water monitor lizards(Varanus salvator). Some of them where huge, i would estimate up to, or even more than 2m in lenght, including the tail. Reptiles in general is another group of animals i find very facinating, and ofc i couldn't just watch them, but i had to catch one aswell. Catch and release ofc ;P

PS: Sry for straying alittle off topic