Please ID: Ascalapha ordorata....hmm....

Discussion on butterflies, moths and skippers
Chuck
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Solomon Islands

Please ID: Ascalapha ordorata....hmm....

Post by Chuck »

Same two moths- first on the board, then separately.

These look like Ascalapha odorata, but the location isn't very supportive. And, the top one wingspan is about 95mm and the bottom only 85mm.

Nor could I find a related genus that would explain this.

Any ideas? You can click on the image to make it larger.

evra
Reactions:
United States of America

Re: Please ID: Ascalapha ordorata....hmm....

Post by evra »

They look like female A. odorata to me. Only the females have the white band through the medial regions I think. It is absent in males. Size varies a lot in the species.
Trehopr1
Global Moderators
Global Moderators
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by Trehopr1 »

Hi Chuck,
While I cannot claim to be the last word on this species or genus; there has been a lot of anecdotal information said about this species in literature for years.

What I do say here is likely common knowledge amongst most but, hey maybe it still makes for a curious read. The species has a VAST territory which it covers. Known from most or all of South and Central America, Mexico, the entire Caribbean, Florida (where it breeds), and likely all of the contiguous U.S (as transient strays). It has also been found in most or all of the Canadian provinces and the state of Hawaii (where it breeds).

Some articles I've read in literature remark that it is a migratory species. I believe this could be partially true but, more so I believe it is more often carried aloft by hurricanes on air currents high above. It is known as a "hitchhiker" species having been seen on various ships at sea as well as stowaways in the cargo holds of planes.

It has likely established itself to some extent throughout much of the Pacific ocean; again through large storms, ship traffic, and a certain resilience present in the species.

Males appear as a dark brown or even black generally speaking but, females are usually a lighter shade of brown and their various (white bands and markings) are quite prominent and yet variable to a degree (as opposed to the males).

Relative size of females and males can vary some (from typical) if the food source was poor in nutrition/health, too much competition for the food source, or unfavorable environmental conditions. Of course, I'm sure you are aware of all of this....

I think the success this wayward species enjoys is due in large part to the hardiness/resilience of the adults, and their ability to find and feed at various food sources.

I have seen some examples from the Dominican Republic with very much more pronounced purple shading/markings then ones I have encountered here in the US.

My very first A. odorata which I encountered near the southern tip of Illinois was an absolute "ragged-out" (female) which was little bigger than a Morning Cloak. Yet, it absolutely amazed me how well it's still flew despite a loss of over 50% of its wings.

A remarkable and yet truly understated species....
58chevy
Meek
Meek
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by 58chevy »

A. odorata can sometimes be found by the hundreds following a hurricane along the Gulf coast. They like to seek shelter under awnings & in garages. They are attracted to bait (especially rotten bananas) & lights.
Chuck
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Solomon Islands

Post by Chuck »

Thanks guys.

So what you're saying is that they MUST be odorata, there is no ssp, no similar species in close genus. Right?