General discussion on entomology
58chevy
Meek
Meek
Reactions:
United States of America

Metal Halide Bulbs

Post by 58chevy »

Does anyone have experience with MH bulbs? I'd like to know how effective they are in comparison to MV, LED, Sodium, & fluorescent.
boghaunter1
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Canada

Re: Metal Halide Bulbs

Post by boghaunter1 »

I have a new (2 yrs) 1000w MH trap & it drew in tremendous numbers of moths. One night in mid June last year it drew in a dozen H. c. gloveri . I have used MV bulbs for 40+ years to good effect & am experimenting now with new MH bulbs.
I also repurposed a small 100w MH trap this spring (originally 100w MV) & could see very little difference in drawing power. The 1000w MH also attracted huge numbers of Catocala last yr. This yr. was a very poor light trapping in comparison.

Am replying from a hospital bed now as I just had a complete left hip replacement surgery 2 days ago. Have to also have my right hip joint replaced next spring. I have been having tremendous mobility problems past 2 yrs & that is the reason I haven't been participating in the forum.

Again this is my experience up here in NE Sask
Canada with very short, cooler summers. So far I find very little difference between the two.

John K.
58chevy
Meek
Meek
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by 58chevy »

Thanks for the info, Boghaunter. I have some 400W MV bulbs but I'm glad to hear that MH is just as effective. Hope you are fully recovered in time for next year's bug season. I've also been laid up in the hospital this year, recovering from 3 types of cancer. All are in remission now, so I hope to get back into the field this Spring.
Trehopr1
Global Moderators
Global Moderators
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by Trehopr1 »

Hello John,
It's very good to see you here once again amongst our community. I'm very sorry to hear of your health concerns as of late but, I remain very optimistic for you on a bright future ahead.

I know someone who had hip surgery on both sides (one right after the other) and it's amazing how well the surgeries worked for him ! Wish you all the best on a speedy recovery and return to a happier time of life.

Have always enjoyed your (past) collection photographs and field experiences which you have shared with us.

Take care and my best regards.
Trehopr1
Global Moderators
Global Moderators
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by Trehopr1 »

My heart felt and best wishes as well go out to you 58chevy !

Always enjoy your varied posts, photographs, and insights. Stay healthy and positive in thoughts.
boghaunter1
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Canada

Post by boghaunter1 »

58chevy... wow you are certainly going through a scary health situation... sincerest wishes for future continuing good health. Take Csre

Trehopr... Thanks so.much for support & enccouraging words...all of us "older" bug guys still have a lot to contribute to our fascinating hobby....err... obsession...haha 😉

John K.
evra
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by evra »

I’ve found that MH bulbs work well in AZ. The biggest downside is that they seem to get hotter than MV bulbs so they are more prone to cracking or exploding when it rains. You want to stay away from high pressure sodium. It is specifically designed to emit longer wavelengths that do not attract insects.