Share the gems of your insect collection with the InsectNet community
Yorky
Meek
Meek
Reactions:
Great Britain

Signing out

Post by Yorky »

After a devastating day I've decided that I don't have the heart to continue in the hobby. After going through every drawer and case today adding paradichlorobenzine I discovered a dermestid infestation in just about every box with some devastating losses that can't be replaced. I've decided to get Christmas out of the way and sell what is left so if you have any requests let me know, the prices will be more than reasonable.
daveuk
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Wales

Re: Signing out

Post by daveuk »

Hope you have a change of heart when you have salvaged what you can Dunc. Really very sorry to hear this.
suzuki
Reactions:
Great Britain

Post by suzuki »

I know how you feel as this happened with a Malaysian collection some time ago. However it is possible to start again.
eurytides
Meek
Meek
Reactions:
Canada

Post by eurytides »

I am so sorry Yorky. Every box??? You have so many amazing specimens. This is truly a great loss. I hope you will still continue to use the forum to share your knowledge and experience.
Trehopr1
Global Moderators
Global Moderators
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by Trehopr1 »

O'h No....!

I was hoping our little "fix" would carry you for a while until other means could be investigated.

I would hope that you could salvage at least 80 or 85% of what you have. By all means look to save as much as you can and try to look past the losses as just bad luck.

This sort of thing can happen to anyone in the hobby but, it doesn't have to be hobby ending.

I say gather your collective self, review what you can save, and cherish all that you wind up with. Perhaps, you might have lost a few pricey items but, "dumping" one's collection is not the answer when you have so many years of passion put into it and so many years still ahead of you to enjoy it.

Please rethink/reconsider any "hasty" actions because they are often irreversible....

Your picture posts of the past have always been something that I've enjoyed seeing and, your historical material has always been Uber cool....

Best wishes
Chuck
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Solomon Islands

Post by Chuck »

There must be local firms that provide bulk freezing service/storage. Find one and take the collection there for three days. Or, contact your local university, they usually have giant freezers as well.
58chevy
Meek
Meek
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by 58chevy »

Once you have begun insect collecting, you can never give it up. I know someone whose entire collection of over 50 years was lost in a fire. He stopped collecting for a short while but is now back out in the field and enjoying every minute of it. Every specimen he collects reminds him of when he first started. It's like being a kid again.
Trehopr1
Global Moderators
Global Moderators
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by Trehopr1 »

Very well put 58chevy !🎉☺️

An incredible inspirational thought....
bobw
Global Moderators
Global Moderators
Reactions:
Great Britain

Post by bobw »

I know how you feel Dunc. I lost my entire British collection that way, including many historic specimens. I now try to keep on top of pest checking as much as I can, but there are always going to be a few problems.

However, giving up completely is a bit drastic. When you have a passion such as you have had, I'm sure given time you'll reconsider, save what you can and continue. At least we all hope so.
Chuck
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Solomon Islands

Post by Chuck »

I don't know anyone who outright quit. That's after loss due to fire, floods, and lack of time. As 58Chevy said, you pull up your big boy pants, fix the problem, and continue. Within three years I'll be distributing a majority of my reference collection, but I know there's no way I could stop hitting the field; it just won't happen. I could give it all away, and the next time I see some darned bug along the highway I'll be started again.
wollastoni
Site Admin
Site Admin
Reactions:
France

Post by wollastoni »

Must be a tragic loss, but don't lose your passion for that !
You could start with a new genus for example, poorly studied, not expensive and interesting. Catasticta, tropical Lycaenidae, Riodiniidae...
livingplanet3
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by livingplanet3 »

Very sorry to hear about the dermestid infestation - I hope that a good percentage of your collection is still salvageable!