Share the gems of your insect collection with the InsectNet community
Cabintom
Meek
Meek
Reactions:
Canada

Re: Cymothoe

Post by Cabintom »

According to Williams (Afrotropical Butterflies and Skippers), there are currently 4 recognized subspecies of Cymothoe lucasii:

The nominate is apparently found in Equatorial Guinea, Gabon, DRC (W)
ssp. binotorum is a bit to the north apparently being found in Nigeria (Cross River loop), Cameroon, Congo (parts of), C.A.R.
ssp. cloetensi is recorded from Gabon, Angola, DRC (Uele, Ituri, Kwango & Sankuru) - if this is factual, the distribution in DRC is quite disjointed)
ssp. minigorum from Congo

Generally speaking, in Lepidoptera Gabonese subspecies are also found through Congo, DRC (W), Cameroon (S). I found the idea that there would be 4 distinct subspecies within that region odd, so here's some digging I've done.

"Papillons du Gabon"
Vande Weghe ilustrates a male and female of the nominate (which match the daveuk's specimens), and a male of ssp. cloetensi (lacking the dark HW discal patch) but specifies that this male comes from Congo.
He describes the HW discal patch in the nominate as being variable within the populations in the countries interior, while the specimens from the Bateke Plateau (SE Gabon into Congo) lack the patch altogether = ssp. cloetensi? (Vande Weghe is uncertain).
He states it is a fairly seasonal butterfly, but that between November & March it can be truly abundant especially in old primary forest at high altitude (the highest point in the country is less than 1100m, so I'm not sure what Vande Weghe considers to be high altitude.)

"Les Papillons du Zaire"
Berger does not have much to say on the species. He illustrates a male & female of ssp. cloetensi (the types, which he states are in the MRAC collection), with the male lacking the HW discal patch. He seems to be the source for the DRC distribution stating Bas-Uele, Haut-Uele, Ituri, Kwango & Sankuru (TL in Sankuru).

Oddly, the types for cloetensi don't seem to be in the MRAC collection and instead there is a single paralectotype.
Here is that paralectoype.
Here is the MRAC box containing cloetensi specimens. (Note the single example of minigorum)
Here is the MRAC box containing specimens of the other subspecies (primarily, binotorum).

"Butterflies of West Africa"
Larsen states ssp. binotorum is found in Nigeria, Cameroon, and parts of Congo.
The nominate is from Gabon and western DRC.
ssp. cloetensi from eastern & southern DRC (this much more restricted than in both Vande Weghe & Berger)
ssp. minigorum "may simply be a transitional form"
Larsen also states that he never encountered the species in Nigeria.

The butterflies of the north-eastern DRC (a checklist put together by R. Ducarme) does not record the species from the Ituri Forest.
daveuk
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Wales

Post by daveuk »

Cabintom wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 11:38 am According to Williams (Afrotropical Butterflies and Skippers), there are currently 4 recognized subspecies of Cymothoe lucasii:

The nominate is apparently found in Equatorial Guinea, Gabon, DRC (W)
ssp. binotorum is a bit to the north apparently being found in Nigeria (Cross River loop), Cameroon, Congo (parts of), C.A.R.
ssp. cloetensi is recorded from Gabon, Angola, DRC (Uele, Ituri, Kwango & Sankuru) - if this is factual, the distribution in DRC is quite disjointed)
ssp. minigorum from Congo

Generally speaking, in Lepidoptera Gabonese subspecies are also found through Congo, DRC (W), Cameroon (S). I found the idea that there would be 4 distinct subspecies within that region odd, so here's some digging I've done.

"Papillons du Gabon"
Vande Weghe ilustrates a male and female of the nominate (which match the daveuk's specimens), and a male of ssp. cloetensi (lacking the dark HW discal patch) but specifies that this male comes from Congo.
He describes the HW discal patch in the nominate as being variable within the populations in the countries interior, while the specimens from the Bateke Plateau (SE Gabon into Congo) lack the patch altogether = ssp. cloetensi? (Vande Weghe is uncertain).
He states it is a fairly seasonal butterfly, but that between November & March it can be truly abundant especially in old primary forest at high altitude (the highest point in the country is less than 1100m, so I'm not sure what Vande Weghe considers to be high altitude.)

"Les Papillons du Zaire"
Berger does not have much to say on the species. He illustrates a male & female of ssp. cloetensi (the types, which he states are in the MRAC collection), with the male lacking the HW discal patch. He seems to be the source for the DRC distribution stating Bas-Uele, Haut-Uele, Ituri, Kwango & Sankuru (TL in Sankuru).

Oddly, the types for cloetensi don't seem to be in the MRAC collection and instead there is a single paralectotype.
Here is that paralectoype.
Here is the MRAC box containing cloetensi specimens. (Note the single example of minigorum)
Here is the MRAC box containing specimens of the other subspecies (primarily, binotorum).

"Butterflies of West Africa"
Larsen states ssp. binotorum is found in Nigeria, Cameroon, and parts of Congo.
The nominate is from Gabon and western DRC.
ssp. cloetensi from eastern & southern DRC (this much more restricted than in both Vande Weghe & Berger)
ssp. minigorum "may simply be a transitional form"
Larsen also states that he never encountered the species in Nigeria.

The butterflies of the north-eastern DRC (a checklist put together by R. Ducarme) does not record the species from the Ituri Forest.
Thank You Cabintom for doing all the digging on this wonderful species & posting your findings in answer to my questions. It's extremely kind of you & is very much appreciated.
Interesting that Vand Weghe states that the butterfly can be truly abundant in primary forest during what I presume is the wet season. Suggests to me that is more likely to be infrequently collected & searched for in the wrong season rather the rare.
The male clotensi look really beautiful.
The other question that I should have asked first is your personal experience of encountering this species in DRC. Have you seen & collected it yourself?
Thanks once again for all the information you have provided on this & other species.
Cabintom
Meek
Meek
Reactions:
Canada

Post by Cabintom »

daveuk wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 12:17 pm The other question that I should have asked first is your personal experience of encountering this species in DRC. Have you seen & collected it yourself?
Thanks once again for all the information you have provided on this & other species.
I have not! I mentioned R. Ducarme's checklist in my last post. It was based on over 40 years of serious collecting, mainly in Nord Kivu, but also in Ituri. He doesn't include lucasii meaning he never encountered it. So, it must be very rare this far east.
Cabintom
Meek
Meek
Reactions:
Canada

Post by Cabintom »

daveuk wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 12:17 pm Interesting that Vand Weghe states that the butterfly can be truly abundant in primary forest during what I presume is the wet season. Suggests to me that is more likely to be infrequently collected & searched for in the wrong season rather the rare.
According to Vande Weghe, the northern part of the country experiences a dry season from June to September, and a less significant dry season in January or February. Peak rains occur in November & April. In the south, at the coast, the dry season stretches from November to March, with peak rain in May.
MAC
Reactions:
Great Britain

Post by MAC »

Cymothoe Lucasi female from Oshwe DRC
Attachments
C7950EBE-66E2-48C7-B90F-F1662292AA9C.jpeg
C7950EBE-66E2-48C7-B90F-F1662292AA9C.jpeg (156.89 KiB) Viewed 681 times
9C68B755-7FFB-47DD-954C-31CEE2FCBE8F.jpeg
9C68B755-7FFB-47DD-954C-31CEE2FCBE8F.jpeg (175.53 KiB) Viewed 681 times
mcheki
Reactions:
Great Britain

Post by mcheki »

The genus Cymithoe is not confined to the rainforests of central Africa but can also be found in other parts of Africa, as far south as South Africa. Here is a photo of Cymothoe alcimeda showing a male and three forms of the female. There are several subspecies of C alcimeda found in southern Africa, this one is ssp: marieps.
DSC00431.JPG
DSC00431.JPG (798.92 KiB) Viewed 680 times
mcheki
Reactions:
Great Britain

Post by mcheki »

This picture shows the undersides of the previous specimens.
DSC00432.JPG
DSC00432.JPG (795 KiB) Viewed 680 times
MAC
Reactions:
Great Britain

Post by MAC »

Cymothoe fontainei and female recto verso from Nioki Bandundu
Attachments
360ACDF3-1E95-4CFC-BB3A-4DEE2E7B202C.jpeg
360ACDF3-1E95-4CFC-BB3A-4DEE2E7B202C.jpeg (130.08 KiB) Viewed 678 times
DEAF2C71-0C5D-4BA6-A28C-CFF6393FA2D7.jpeg
DEAF2C71-0C5D-4BA6-A28C-CFF6393FA2D7.jpeg (115.54 KiB) Viewed 678 times
Cabintom
Meek
Meek
Reactions:
Canada

Post by Cabintom »

The alcimeda specimens are really neat. Especially the red ventral surface of that one female. It would be interesting to see more specimens from the southern part of the continent, especially those high-altitude species which are restricted to particular mountain ranges.
mcheki
Reactions:
Great Britain

Post by mcheki »

Cymothoe can also be found on Madagascar. Here is a picture of a Cymothoe lambertoni male. I do not, unfortunately, have a female.
DSC00436.JPG
DSC00436.JPG (771.83 KiB) Viewed 650 times
DSC00436.JPG
DSC00436.JPG (771.83 KiB) Viewed 650 times
Attachments
DSC00435.JPG
DSC00435.JPG (710.21 KiB) Viewed 650 times
Cabintom
Meek
Meek
Reactions:
Canada

Post by Cabintom »

Cymothoe hobarti mwamikazi Overlaet, 1952

(male)
ImageImage

Cymothoe excelsa regisleopoldi Overlaet, 1944

(male)
25/vii/2016 Near Nebobongo, Haut-Uele (2°28'N, 27°38'E) 760m
ImageImage

29/vii/2017 Near Mbogi, Ituri (1°41'55"N, 30°07'35"E) 1250-1300m
ImageImage

(female)
28/iii/2017 Mbau Territory, Nord Kivu 1050m (Ex. R. Ducarme)
ImageImage

Cymothoe coccinata vrydaghi Overlaet, 1944

(female)
21/i/2017 Mamove, Beni Territory, Nord Kivu 1050m (Ex. R. Ducarme)
ImageImage

Cymothoe aramis schoutedeni Overlaet, 1952

(female)
ImageImage
daveuk
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Wales

Post by daveuk »

Cymothoe excelsa pair from Cameroun & male photographed with data
Attachments
Screenshot_20220830-205251_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220830-205251_Gallery.jpg (509.55 KiB) Viewed 614 times
Screenshot_20220830-205212_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220830-205212_Gallery.jpg (353.09 KiB) Viewed 614 times
Trehopr1
Global Moderators
Global Moderators
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by Trehopr1 »

Say fellas,
Whatever happened to the red species of Cymothoe which I used to know as C sangaris and C. coccinata ?

Have they been renamed or are they found elsewhere in Africa and you just haven't shown them yet?

These red species are as unusually colored a butterfly as the Colotis "purple-tipped" ones are.
Cabintom
Meek
Meek
Reactions:
Canada

Post by Cabintom »

Trehopr1 wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:01 pm Say fellas,
Whatever happened to the red species of Cymothoe which I used to know as C sangaris and C. coccinata ?

Have they been renamed or are they found elsewhere in Africa and you just haven't shown them yet?

These red species are as unusually colored a butterfly as the Colotis "purple-tipped" ones are.
Many red Cymothoe are very difficult to ID with certainty. C. sangaris especially so. What people label as C. sangaris is, according to Larsen (Butterflies of West Africa), a complex of at least 4 species.

I shared pictures of female C. coccinata above.
Here's a male:
Cymothoe coccinata vrydaghi Overlaet, 1944
8/iii/2014 Near Atolohulu, near Komanda, Ituri (approx. 1°20'N, 29°40'E) 1000m
ImageImage

Note that the colouration in coccinata males tends towards orange.
daveuk
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Wales

Post by daveuk »

Found two of my male C sangaris for trehopr.
Central African Republic
Attachments
Screenshot_20220831-135157_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220831-135157_Gallery.jpg (475.45 KiB) Viewed 585 times
Trehopr1
Global Moderators
Global Moderators
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by Trehopr1 »

Hooray !!
Now that's what I'm talking about Dave. That species has been called the "Blood-red" Cymothoe in some of my older literature. This particular species has the most (overall) consistently BOLD red coloration of any of the related and/or similar species.

If it weren't for the (variable) marginal black dots on the hindwings --- it would be an all red butterfly; having no white spots or lesser red (depth) to its color.

I am grateful to cabintom for clarifying that there is a small complex of at least four species associated with the name C. sangaris. It superficially looks easy to tell apart species coccinata and excelsa from the proper "sangaris" which we butterfly guys have come to know for years. The species C. hobarti seems to be the one where confusion could occur...

Of course, I'm only speaking about the appearance of the males. Perhaps, amongst the females there are greater differences which help tell the species apart.

I want to really thank you for posting a photo of this well-known (overall) red species. I cannot think of another butterfly that comes close to this one in appearance.

Just one of Africa's marvelous one-of-a-kind offerings and a treasure in its own right !
daveuk
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Wales

Post by daveuk »

Trehopr1 wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 6:03 pm Hooray !!
Now that's what I'm talking about Dave. That species has been called the "Blood-red" Cymothoe in some of my older literature. This particular species has the most (overall) consistently BOLD red coloration of any of the related and/or similar species.

If it weren't for the (variable) marginal black dots on the hindwings --- it would be an all red butterfly; having no white spots or lesser red (depth) to its color.

I am grateful to cabintom for clarifying that there is a small complex of at least four species associated with the name C. sangaris. It superficially looks easy to tell apart species coccinata and excelsa from the proper "sangaris" which we butterfly guys have come to know for years. The species C. hobarti seems to be the one where confusion could occur...

Of course, I'm only speaking about the appearance of the males. Perhaps, amongst the females there are greater differences which help tell the species apart.

I want to really thank you for posting a photo of this well-known (overall) red species. I cannot think of another butterfly that comes close to this one in appearance.

Just one of Africa's marvelous one-of-a-kind offerings and a treasure in its own right !
You are very welcome trehopr.
I did post pictures of my females earlier in this thread but here they are again for you in case you missed them. Both from Central African Republic. There are female forms which lack the red colouration I believe but I sadly don't have any of those.
Attachments
Screenshot_20220826-221540_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220826-221540_Gallery.jpg (571.88 KiB) Viewed 575 times
Trehopr1
Global Moderators
Global Moderators
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by Trehopr1 »

Wow, those are quite marvelous females of the species and very intricately patterned !

You're right dave, somehow I overlooked these when they were posted. I surely would have remarked something had I noticed them. Thanks again for posting them !
Cabintom
Meek
Meek
Reactions:
Canada

Post by Cabintom »

Cymothoe bouyeri Vande Weghe, 2011
Named in honour of one of our fellow forum members.
Fairly similar to the very common C. caenis.

(Males)
6/VI/2015 Kasugho, Lubero Territory, Nord Kivu 1800m (Ex. R. Ducarme)
ImageImage

3/VI/2015 Kasugho, Lubero Territory, Nord Kivu 1800m (Ex. R. Ducarme)
ImageImage

(Female)
10/III/2017 Kasugho, Lubero Territory, Nord Kivu 1800m (Ex. R. Ducarme)
ImageImage

I do have a plethora of female C. caenis forms if anyone is interested in seeing them.
MAC
Reactions:
Great Britain

Post by MAC »

Re C caenis forms that would be great, I also have a few forms of this so it might be good to see a selection?