General discussion on entomology
Yorky
Meek
Meek
Reactions:
Great Britain

Pest deterrent

Post by Yorky »

I'm now officially out of paradichlorobenzine and naphthalene and as both substances are banned in the UK I'm either selling up or I have to find an alternative, my collection is too valuable in monetary terms and in memories to let dermestids have their way so I'm open to EFFECTIVE suggestions as to what I can use and where I can get it from, TIA.
daveuk
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Wales

Re: Pest deterrent

Post by daveuk »

Yorky wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:13 pm I'm now officially out of paradichlorobenzine and naphthalene and as both substances are banned in the UK I'm either selling up or I have to find an alternative, my collection is too valuable in monetary terms and in memories to let dermestids have their way so I'm open to EFFECTIVE suggestions as to what I can use and where I can get it from, TIA.
To be honest Dunc there is not much here in the U.K. to help with pest control as most fumigants are now banned.
It would seem that freezing is the only way we are going to be able to get rid of pests here now. Laborious process.
Yorky
Meek
Meek
Reactions:
Great Britain

Post by Yorky »

I don't have a chest freezer so it could prove difficult
daveuk
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Wales

Post by daveuk »

Yorky wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:06 pm I don't have a chest freezer so it could prove difficult
Me neither so I know what you mean...
eurytides
Meek
Meek
Reactions:
Canada

Post by eurytides »

Perhaps a chest freezer would be a good investment given the value of your collection?
adamcotton
Global Moderators
Global Moderators
Reactions:
Thailand

Post by adamcotton »

Is 'No pest strip' available in the UK online? I suspect maybe not, but if it is available a 1cm sq. piece in each drawer will keep the specimens safe for a long time.

The strip can easily be cut using garden pruning cutters, it's a bit too strong for scissors. Never touch the strip with bare hands, always use plastic/rubber gloves and wash your hands thoroughly afterwards.

Adam.
Chuck
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Solomon Islands

Post by Chuck »

Yorky wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:06 pm I don't have a chest freezer so it could prove difficult
Do you have a freezer? Remove food, insert storage drawer, Schmidt box, or pinning tray. Eat food when thawed. Too much food? Have a party, be social!

I and some others here are "fortunate" enough to be able to freeze collections each winter. I rotate three or four Cornell drawers at a time through the garage. Between doing that, keeping summer humidity below 50%, I very rarely use chemicals.

I wonder- instead of PDB or known-dangerous Pest Strips, could one put a dish of safer chemical- say, ethyl acetate or even 90% alcohol, into the drawer for a few days?
Yorky
Meek
Meek
Reactions:
Great Britain

Post by Yorky »

I think I may have found the solution. First of all a chest freezer is out of the question, here in the UK we live in shoe box sized houses so there simply isn't enough room for a chest freezer. Secondly you can't buy no pest straps in the UK, like all other things the fun police have banned them.

I don't see freezing as a viable option because the freezer is small so I could only do a few specimens at a time. Also I'm a family man and I don't think that the others would take too kindly to my constant emptying of the freezers contents.
adamcotton
Global Moderators
Global Moderators
Reactions:
Thailand

Post by adamcotton »

I seem to remember that long ago camphor was used as an insect deterrent. I am not sure how effective it is.

I suspect that putting alcohol or ethyl acetate in the drawers may create a humidity problem since they contain at least some water.

Adam.
adamcotton
Global Moderators
Global Moderators
Reactions:
Thailand

Post by adamcotton »

Yorky wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 6:16 pm I think I may have found the solution.
You didn't say what it is.

Adam.
Yorky
Meek
Meek
Reactions:
Great Britain

Post by Yorky »

Rather not say on here

I've tried the acetone route with disastrous results with lifting wings, all had to be relaxed and reset.
joachim
Reactions:
Germany

Post by joachim »

https://www.ebay.de/itm/254480488110?ep ... R-7Jk-DXYA

You can try this. I do not know whether it is strong enough but better than nothing in closed boxes.
I can buy it for you if you cannot buy it from the uk.

Joachim
Yorky
Meek
Meek
Reactions:
Great Britain

Post by Yorky »

Thanks for the offer but I think I've found a way.
58chevy
Meek
Meek
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by 58chevy »

Moth balls (naphthalene) work for me.
livingplanet3
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by livingplanet3 »

Just my own opinion, but I've never had any trust in the ability of repellents to keep specimens safe from pests. The only way I've ever found to guarantee that they are protected 100%, is to make sure that they are in displays / storage boxes that are impervious to pest entry. In my case, this is not only the best option, but also the only option, since I'm very chemically sensitive.
Trehopr1
Global Moderators
Global Moderators
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by Trehopr1 »

When insect drawers (regardless of their build quality) are kept in metal insect cabinets or very well made wooden cabinets; there is absolutely no pest issues.

Decent cabinetry usually offers a (holder) to put fumigant in or at the bottom of the cabinet (below the last drawer) there is a space which one could put a shallow pan of moth flakes or crystals in. In that manner one does not even have to fumigate the drawers with individual fumigant.

I've got three 12 drawer cabinets that are solidly safe in every respect. However, the main issue really comes with the cost of the cabinets themselves. New ones do not come cheaply and it seems to be very hard to find anyone willing to sell quality used ones.

For now, I stack the rest of my drawers (one atop the other) on stacks 9 high and on several 6-ft tables. At least the glass stays clean this way and I only put two moth balls per drawer to keep odor down.

I've never experienced any pest problems in this way and the drawers are safely above the floor level. As I find cabinets down the road I will incorporate as many drawers as I can into them but, I've come to realize that I will almost always have some stacked.

I certainly do understand however that some people are sensitive to napthalene or PDB so I think the key to that issue is just making sure that when you do have a drawer open (it is open for only a very short period of time) and that one is very careful about what you are putting in the drawer to avoid pest introductions.

That can be remedied by placing new acquisitions on a styrofoam board placed in a snap-tight tupperware container for a couple months to ensure that nothing starts happening.... then if all is well you add them to your main collection.

Just some food for thought here....
Yorky
Meek
Meek
Reactions:
Great Britain

Post by Yorky »

58chevy wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 5:52 pm Moth balls (naphthalene) work for me.
Naphthalene only keeps them out it doesn't kill them, not that it matters anyway because our government has banned that too.
kevinkk
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by kevinkk »

I expect naphthalene to be banned here in the USA at some point, I'll go to the store, and it'll just be gone. I use naphthalene discs that
come in little packs of 2 that I pin to the inside of my cases. The cases, from Bioquip, are quality items, with lids that fit so tight, they
can be difficult to remove, but somehow, maybe on new specimens, pests still get in, and the naphthalene slowly evaporates after 6 months
or so.
I think Trehopr1 is in the right direction with tight fitting cases stored inside a good cabinet. My case storage cabinets are not very pest proof at all,
my original purpose in building them was organizing and keeping the light out.
joachim
Reactions:
Germany

Post by joachim »

Hello,

what I find a way to disinfect:
Put all butterflies in a clean, new box. This with cold spray ( to -42 degrees cool - caution because of the fingers ) cool, that should kill all eggs and beetles. Put the box ( I have small cardboard boxes ) in the microwave and full power for 1 min. Put butterflies in the now disinfected box.

If necessary, spray with water. Wrap the boxes with foil or put them into a garbage bag. What do you think?

https://www.ebay.de/itm/172326259355?ep ... R46MvvzdYA
Greetings Joachim
P.S: To look at the butterflies it is a bit tedious

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
Chuck
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Solomon Islands

Post by Chuck »

joachim wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 5:29 pm Put the box ( I have small cardboard boxes ) in the microwave and full power for 1 min.
Do you put pinned specimens in the microwave?