Goliath Birdwing Butterfly Display (25 specimens)

Post your pictures of butterfly or insect art you have created or seen. Let's discuss the techniques.
Panacanthus
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
United States of America

Goliath Birdwing Butterfly Display (25 specimens)

Post by Panacanthus »

This Goliath Birdwing display was created in 2010. Ornithoptera goliath is generally considered the second largest butterfly in the world, following very close behind Ornithoptera alexandrae, although some would say that the females are nearly equal. Most of these are older photos taken at the time of completion.

I'll try and describe a few things about the display...

The vines at the bottom represent Aristolochia goliathiana - a foodplant of Ornithoptera goliath. These were drawn directly onto the matting using pastels, and a charcoal pencil to define the outlines. The caterpillars illustrated on the vines are those of O. goliath.

The two chrysalides are real, and are from O. goliath supremus.

Every specimen has had it's abdomen fully degreased, so that they will remain bright and clean with no risk of the butterflies "greasing up" over time. Although it may appear as if the hindwing translucent yellow of some males is dark or stained, this is just caused by lighting/shadows. They are all virtually mint condition.

The outer two "sections" contain various forms of O. goliath supremus. The center section contains the "rest" of the goliath subspecies including the nominate O. goliath goliath from Waigeo.

I do have full data for all specimens and plan on creating labels which will go inside the display with the specimens soon.

This display is framed with Optium Museum Acrylic. It measures 56" wide by 38" tall.

I will add a few "detail" photos as it is difficult to see things well in the "complete" photo.

GBD IN.jpg
GBD IN.jpg (780.97 KiB) Viewed 2099 times

Center "nameplate" detail including Aristolochia vine and flowers...
GB LV IN.jpg
GB LV IN.jpg (624.63 KiB) Viewed 2099 times

Caterpillar detail...
GB CD IN.jpg
GB CD IN.jpg (742.22 KiB) Viewed 2099 times
Last edited by Panacanthus on Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
“Seems to me the natural world is the greatest source of excitement; the greatest source of visual beauty; the greatest source of intellectual interest. It is the greatest source of so much in life that makes life worth living.” -David Attenborough
Panacanthus
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
United States of America

Re: Goliath Birdwing Butterfly Display (25 specimens)

Post by Panacanthus »

Chrysalis detail (the chrysalis is "suspended" between the three "posts" and the white area behind it is recessed) ...
GB CHD IN.jpg
GB CHD IN.jpg (731.47 KiB) Viewed 2097 times

In case anyone is not familiar with the enormous size of this butterfly species, here is a photo which helps to show that, perhaps better than a simple size description…
GB HAND IN.jpg
GB HAND IN.jpg (781.49 KiB) Viewed 2097 times
Last edited by Panacanthus on Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Seems to me the natural world is the greatest source of excitement; the greatest source of visual beauty; the greatest source of intellectual interest. It is the greatest source of so much in life that makes life worth living.” -David Attenborough
Trehopr1
Global Moderators
Global Moderators
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by Trehopr1 »

Spectacular !! 👏👏🎆🎆☺️
daveuk
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Wales

Post by daveuk »

A stunning display. Really beautifully done.
livingplanet3
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by livingplanet3 »

Panacanthus wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:39 pm This Goliath Birdwing display was created in 2010. Ornithoptera goliath is generally considered the second largest butterfly in the world, following very close behind Ornithoptera alexandrae, although some would say that the females are nearly equal. Most of these are older photos taken at the time of completion.

I'll try and describe a few things about the display...
That's a truly remarkable display. I'm curious about your methods of relaxing and spreading specimens - they are all set so perfectly!

Also - very impressive that you have specimens of O. goliath chrysalides; I can't say that I've ever seen such (or those of any other Ornithoptera) offered for sale.
hewi
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Germany

Post by hewi »

what I do particularly admire (apart from the butterflies of course) is the frame design in a very attractive "art nouveau" style.