Share the gems of your insect collection with the InsectNet community
Yorky
Meek
Meek
Reactions:
Great Britain

Papilio mackinnoni female ssp?

Post by Yorky »

I found this in a box of old Ugandan papered butterflies at my old friend Tony Harman's house. The data label reads Imatongs so I'm guessing Northern Uganda or the Sudan?
Going by the date on the other specimens it dates from 1955. I remember it causing a stir amongst one in two prominent entomologists, our late friend Danny Burke being one of them who told me that very few had ever been found. Maybe Adam can shed some light. I've thought about using an antenna from a male to repair it but have so far refrained.
Attachments
19575397_1589696461060786_3189576834125000955_o (1).jpg
19575397_1589696461060786_3189576834125000955_o (1).jpg (104.71 KiB) Viewed 547 times
adamcotton
Global Moderators
Global Moderators
Reactions:
Thailand

Re: Papilio mackinnoni female ssp?

Post by adamcotton »

The Imatong Mountains are in South Sudan close to the border with Uganda, and this should be Papilio mackinnoni equatoriana Turlin & Lequeux, 2010 (Lépidoptères - Revue des Lépidoptéristes de France, 19 (47): 116-124).

Adam.
Yorky
Meek
Meek
Reactions:
Great Britain

Post by Yorky »

Absolutely no information on this subspecies anywhere, JP seems to think it's very rare, so did Danny.
adamcotton
Global Moderators
Global Moderators
Reactions:
Thailand

Post by adamcotton »

I have never seen one, and I guess rarity is based on the remote locality.

Adam.
Yorky
Meek
Meek
Reactions:
Great Britain

Post by Yorky »

Danny remarked that he only knew of half a dozen specimens
eurytides
Meek
Meek
Reactions:
Canada

Post by eurytides »

I don’t know about this particular subspecies, but there are about a dozen entries for this species on iNaturalist over the last 4 years or so.
Cabintom
Meek
Meek
Reactions:
Canada

Post by Cabintom »

It's quite common in the garden at the Africa Butterfly Research Institute on the outskirts of Nairobi, Kenya. I believe the rarity of the subspecies is, as Adam suggested, due to the remote & hostile locations in which its populations are found.
I had colleagues (missionaries) working in the Imatongs where ssp. equatoriana flies. They had to be suddenly evacuated during the night after a hike up one of the mountains which led to accusations that they'd gone up to "steal the rain" and then credible threats on their lives. I don't have all the details, but I imagine that relations with the local people had already been strained for the situation to escalate so quickly. Anyways, the point being, if a simple hike is met with such suspicion, a lot of work would likely need to be done to educate and gain the trust of people in the area before a serious scientific work could be undertaken.
mcheki
Reactions:
Great Britain

Post by mcheki »

aaVIC 6  mod.JPG
aaVIC 6 mod.JPG (745.43 KiB) Viewed 413 times
As far as I am aware subspecies aequatoriana is found in the Imatong Mountains and also listed from Kitgum, north Uganda. The photo attached is a quick picture of my collection of this species and shows five males (Column 4, top five specimens) from Agoro Forest, north Uganda. In the description of this new subspecies (Turlin and Lequeux, 2010) the Holotype and many Paratypes come from this location. Unfortunately, no female available.
The nominate subspecies is found in Kivu, DRC and in west Uganda, which are not that far away.
These two subspecies are very similar.
Yorky
Meek
Meek
Reactions:
Great Britain

Post by Yorky »

If something gets JP and Danny exited it must be something out of the ordinary. At the same time I posted a picture of a female Chilasa paradoxa that got Danny's attention too, I'll try and find the picture.
africaone
Reactions:
Belgium

Post by africaone »

This specimen probably came from SC Collins ... (if the locality and label are correct)