Share the gems of your insect collection with the InsectNet community
daveuk
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Wales

Papilio machaonides

Post by daveuk »

Pair from the Dominican Republic purchased at an entomogical fair at Kempton Park, London, U.K. in 2011.
Attachments
Screenshot_20220801-145703_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220801-145703_Gallery.jpg (610.18 KiB) Viewed 812 times
Yorky
Meek
Meek
Reactions:
Great Britain

Re: Papilio machaonides

Post by Yorky »

I remember you getting these, I have 2 males and a female, I'll have to dig out pictures.
bobw
Global Moderators
Global Moderators
Reactions:
Great Britain

Post by bobw »

Yorky wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:41 pm I remember you getting these, I have 2 males and a female, I'll have to dig out pictures.
I seem to remember you getting these as well!
daveuk
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Wales

Post by daveuk »

bobw wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:28 pm
Yorky wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:41 pm I remember you getting these, I have 2 males and a female, I'll have to dig out pictures.
I seem to remember you getting these as well!
Thanks Bob. They are lovely !!
joachim
Reactions:
Germany

Post by joachim »

Hello, this reminds me of an episode from when I was younger. It's all statute-barred....
We were on a trip through Florida, Jamaica and the Dominican Republic. you are not allowed to bring live animals into the USA. But we had a caterpillar of machaonides that pupated during our stay. Well, how do you get the pupa through customs? We only had a few hours in Miami. My brilliant idea: I emptied a tube of toothpaste, put the chrysalis in it, and dusted it off. It worked perfectly, we landed in Jamaica and had a nice hotel. I took the pupa out of the tube and put it on the table in the hotel room. I hadn't noticed that she was already well developed.
In the morning I realised, overslept, the butterfly had hatched. When I tried to catch it, it fled out of the window, so there was a machaonid male in Jamaica. I guess it didn't have any effect on the fauna. Good thing it was 40 years ago.

So this male was caught years late....... It is not mine!
Jshuey
Global Moderators
Global Moderators
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by Jshuey »

joachim wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:42 pm Hello, this reminds me of an episode from when I was younger. It's all statute-barred....
We were on a trip through Florida, Jamaica and the Dominican Republic. you are not allowed to bring live animals into the USA. But we had a caterpillar of machaonides that pupated during our stay. Well, how do you get the pupa through customs? We only had a few hours in Miami. My brilliant idea: I emptied a tube of toothpaste, put the chrysalis in it, and dusted it off. It worked perfectly, we landed in Jamaica and had a nice hotel. I took the pupa out of the tube and put it on the table in the hotel room. I hadn't noticed that she was already well developed.
In the morning I realised, overslept, the butterfly had hatched. When I tried to catch it, it fled out of the window, so there was a machaonid male in Jamaica. I guess it didn't have any effect on the fauna. Good thing it was 40 years ago.

Hopefully you were young and foolish when all this happened. This is exactly the type behavior that results in invasive species introductions around the world. It seems a bit irresponsible to be making light of this.

John
Chuck
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Solomon Islands

Post by Chuck »

@adam (or anyone else smarter than me)

Are andraemon, machaonides, aristodemus (other?) in the Carib related? It looks morphologically like they are.

Anyone have a photo of these species lined up next to each other?
adamcotton
Global Moderators
Global Moderators
Reactions:
Thailand

Post by adamcotton »

Papilio machaonides and andraemon are closely related, although they diverged long ago, but aristodemus is not related to these. It belongs on the other main branch of the Papilio (Heraclides) clade, more closely related to P. astyalus and androgeus, although they don't look very similar.

Many people treat Heraclides as a separate genus, but I prefer to place it as a subgenus of Papilio.

Adam.
58chevy
Meek
Meek
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by 58chevy »

I agree, Adam. Morphologically, a subgenus of Papilio seems to be a better fit, but I'm not familiar with the DNA studies.
adamcotton
Global Moderators
Global Moderators
Reactions:
Thailand

Post by adamcotton »

A paper on DNA analysis of genus Papilio (s.l.) will be submitted in the next few months. Hopefully it will be published within the coming year or so - it takes time from submission to publication.

Adam.
Yorky
Meek
Meek
Reactions:
Great Britain

Post by Yorky »

My pair, I have another perfect male but no picture
Attachments
296142373_5802660246431032_7913061052910573332_n.jpg
296142373_5802660246431032_7913061052910573332_n.jpg (175.96 KiB) Viewed 620 times
296426853_5802660359764354_3015229738454364336_n.jpg
296426853_5802660359764354_3015229738454364336_n.jpg (354.55 KiB) Viewed 620 times
joachim
Reactions:
Germany

Post by joachim »

Jshuey wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:47 pm
joachim wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:42 pm Hello, this reminds me of an episode from when I was younger. It's all statute-barred....

Hopefully you were young and foolish when all this happened. This is exactly the type behavior that results in invasive species introductions around the world. It seems a bit irresponsible to be making light of this.

John
Yes, I was very young and nowadays I wouldn't do it with the risk of spending a few days in prison if we were caught at the airport. But here in Europe we have so many invasive plagues, mosquitoes, gnats.....
My friend in the dom. Republic took a photo of Papilio demoleus in her garden. I was very surprised, but I heard that the species feels at home there and is now native.
eurytides
Meek
Meek
Reactions:
Canada

Post by eurytides »

That species is now established on many islands of the Caribbean. There have also been several reports from the US mainland.
adamcotton
Global Moderators
Global Moderators
Reactions:
Thailand

Post by adamcotton »

eurytides wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:49 am There have also been several reports from the US mainland.
I hadn't heard of any recent reports from the US mainland. There was one report in California (I seem to remember) many years ago, and that was presumed to be a single escapee. Have any recent US records been published?

Adam.
Chuck
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Solomon Islands

Post by Chuck »

Sorry to go off topic, but since it already is: I observed Papilio demoleus circa 2002 at El Yunque, Puerto Rico; I noted it to Dr. Miller, and she indicated it was the first such observation in PR; subsequently, I've stumbled across several other observations of the species in PR.

A quick search on iNat shows demoleus throughout the main Carib islands; one record from Louisiana. https://www.inaturalist.org/observation ... n_id=51583
eurytides
Meek
Meek
Reactions:
Canada

Post by eurytides »

There are also several from California. Note also that iNat is going to underestimate reality. Many butterflies go unseen. Many that are seen are unreported.
livingplanet3
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by livingplanet3 »

I have an extremely vague memory of seeing a Kallima inachus in my backyard here in North TX, circa 1980. I'm quite sure that it was a misidentification, despite the fact that there are no local butterflies that look even remotely like this species. If it was in fact a K. inachus, I suppose there's a very remote possibility that it was an escapee.