A few (Goliath) beetles in a sea of Leps!!!

Share the gems of your insect collection with the InsectNet community
Panacanthus
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
United States of America

A few (Goliath) beetles in a sea of Leps!!!

Post by Panacanthus »

Just thought I'd add some beetles since there are so few in this section of the forum! Not terribly rare but these are somewhat unique specimens.

Very recently spread the first two males and added them to a large wall display.

Goliathus goliatus undulatus/albatus/conspersus :? from Buea, Cameroon. Very large specimen at 100mm. Strong, seldom seen pattern.
GGU IN.jpg
GGU IN.jpg (677.91 KiB) Viewed 871 times

Goliathus orientalis with very strong white, especially on the pronotum. From Kolwesi, R. D. Congo. Another very large specimen at 99mm.
GOP IN.jpg
GOP IN.jpg (682.35 KiB) Viewed 871 times

Goliathus orientalis - in contrast to the previous specimen, this one is very dark (again, especially the pronotum). From Likasi, D. R. of Congo. 94mm
GOD IN.jpg
GOD IN.jpg (669.39 KiB) Viewed 845 times
Last edited by Panacanthus on Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Seems to me the natural world is the greatest source of excitement; the greatest source of visual beauty; the greatest source of intellectual interest. It is the greatest source of so much in life that makes life worth living.” -David Attenborough
billgarthe
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
United States of America

Re: A few (Goliath) beetles in a sea of Leps!!!

Post by billgarthe »

Very nice mounting job…….
alandmor
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by alandmor »

Very nice specimens. I think Goliathus regius is the most spectacular Goliath species. Would love to see a picture of the whole display!
Panacanthus
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by Panacanthus »

alandmor wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:20 pm Very nice specimens. I think Goliathus regius is the most spectacular Goliath species. Would love to see a picture of the whole display!
I will try and post a photo of the display in the "Insect Artwork" category soon. At the moment the display is still "apart" due to the "swapping" of a few specimens, but once it's back together I'll take a picture. It was actually posted many years ago, so you may even recognize it. I honestly don't remember why exactly, but the old photo is no longer viewable. Anyways, I will take a new photo of the whole display soon!

Here is my only G. regius. Not a "giant" specimen at 95mm, but it is very clean.
GR IN.jpg
GR IN.jpg (650.22 KiB) Viewed 771 times
Last edited by Panacanthus on Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Seems to me the natural world is the greatest source of excitement; the greatest source of visual beauty; the greatest source of intellectual interest. It is the greatest source of so much in life that makes life worth living.” -David Attenborough
Panacanthus
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by Panacanthus »

I have deleted a second thread I had made with Goliath beetles, and will add those photos to this thread. Should have done that in the first place!

Goliathus goliatus quadrimaculatus from Kuba, Cameroon. Very large and clean male at 99mm.
GGQ IN.jpg
GGQ IN.jpg (706.1 KiB) Viewed 768 times

Goliathus cacicus with violet glow, from Ivory Coast. Very large and clean male at 90mm.
GCV IN.jpg
GCV IN.jpg (648.7 KiB) Viewed 768 times

Goliathus goliatus conspersus with brighter "red/maroon " elytra than normal (unfortunately didn’t show up too well in the photo! :( ), from Cameroon. 92mm.
GGCR IN.jpg
GGCR IN.jpg (771.72 KiB) Viewed 768 times
alandmor
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by alandmor »

Panacanthus wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:05 am
alandmor wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:20 pm Very nice specimens. I think Goliathus regius is the most spectacular Goliath species. Would love to see a picture of the whole display!
Here is my only G. regius. Not a "giant" specimen at 95mm, but it is very clean.

GR IN.jpg
That's a beauty for sure. Thanks for posting.
livingplanet3
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by livingplanet3 »

Panacanthus wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:01 am Just thought I'd add some beetles since there are so few in this section of the forum! Not terribly rare but these are somewhat unique specimens.

Very recently spread the first two males and added them to a large wall display...
All very choice specimens indeed! How do you keep large beetles such as these in place; they don't appear to be pinned?
Panacanthus
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by Panacanthus »

livingplanet3 wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:07 pm
Panacanthus wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:01 am Just thought I'd add some beetles since there are so few in this section of the forum! Not terribly rare but these are somewhat unique specimens.

Very recently spread the first two males and added them to a large wall display...
All very choice specimens indeed! How do you keep large beetles such as these in place; they don't appear to be pinned?
All of these beetles are located in a “display” which hangs on the wall. For such a display, I typically “snip” off the pin (very carefully and safely of course!!) within 1/16” or so of the beetle. There are even a few specimens which only have a pin protruding through the bottom - kind of tricky and I don’t often do that. Basically, for a display, the pin is the “safety anchor”, and then a bit of glue holds them to the “board” and also prevents turning. I use 1/2” foamboard which is then covered in a thick, textured acid free paper.

Also, I always pin though the most inconspicuous location possible. Therefore, you won’t always see a pin coming through in the typical “scientific” location. It depends on the pattern of the beetle. In these photos it’s very difficult to find the pins, and again, some are only protruding from the bottom. I have always pinned my beetles with aesthetics being my first priority. The more scientific collectors would frown on this but it’s just my personal preference!

Although I typically don’t ever remove or switch out beetles in such a display, it actually is possible to remove them IF for some reason I ever decide to do so. In the past I have used epoxy as the “glue”, but I found over the years that it sometimes let’s go (hence the importance of a pin). I now use silicone (like the clear aquarium sealant) and so far I like it a lot. It holds well, but if needed, with a little effort, you can peel it off the specimen. Even a specimen held with epoxy can be removed though. Still, I generally consider wall displays to be “permanent”.

Another member expressed interest in seeing the whole display, so I will post a photo of it, hopefully within the next week or so…..most likely in the insect artwork category.
Panacanthus
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by Panacanthus »

Alandmor - I have posted a photo of the display in the "Insect Art" section of the forum.
livingplanet3
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by livingplanet3 »

Panacanthus wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:40 pm
livingplanet3 wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:07 pm

All of these beetles are located in a “display” which hangs on the wall. For such a display, I typically “snip” off the pin (very carefully and safely of course!!) within 1/16” or so of the beetle. There are even a few specimens which only have a pin protruding through the bottom - kind of tricky and I don’t often do that. Basically, for a display, the pin is the “safety anchor”, and then a bit of glue holds them to the “board” and also prevents turning. I use 1/2” foamboard which is then covered in a thick, textured acid free paper.

Also, I always pin though the most inconspicuous location possible. Therefore, you won’t always see a pin coming through in the typical “scientific” location. It depends on the pattern of the beetle. In these photos it’s very difficult to find the pins, and again, some are only protruding from the bottom. I have always pinned my beetles with aesthetics being my first priority. The more scientific collectors would frown on this but it’s just my personal preference!

Although I typically don’t ever remove or switch out beetles in such a display, it actually is possible to remove them IF for some reason I ever decide to do so. In the past I have used epoxy as the “glue”, but I found over the years that it sometimes let’s go (hence the importance of a pin). I now use silicone (like the clear aquarium sealant) and so far I like it a lot. It holds well, but if needed, with a little effort, you can peel it off the specimen. Even a specimen held with epoxy can be removed though. Still, I generally consider wall displays to be “permanent”.

Another member expressed interest in seeing the whole display, so I will post a photo of it, hopefully within the next week or so…..most likely in the insect artwork category.
Many thanks for the above info - I'll definitely keep this in mind when I put together some displays of Goliathus and similarly large beetles, in the near future!