Huge Michigan collection up for grabs

Discussion on butterflies, moths and skippers
DwayneBadgero
Reactions:
United States of America

Huge Michigan collection up for grabs

Post by DwayneBadgero »

Hello, my name is Dwayne Badgero. I have a collection of mostly Michigan moths and butterflies. I am going through an ugly divorce and have to "liquidate" my collection of close to 400 cornell drawers filled with speciemens. Close to 1800 species, long series of most species, most have gps data and habitat data. My interest is to determine if there would be a potential buyer for this collection. My soon to be ex wife thinks its worth millions of dollars and is fighting me tooth and nail for this world class work that I have spent the last 35 plus years putting together. Serious comments only please. I already know that there won't be a buyer. What I need is some folks with credentials to write letters to my attorney stating that this has no real marketable value.
Thank you,
Dwayne Badgero
drbadgero@gmail.com
Chuck
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Solomon Islands

Re: Huge Michigan collection up for grabs

Post by Chuck »

My condolences.

My ex tried that as well. I told her attorney to go find an appraiser- and that everyone would tell him to call me.

So do you want a buyer, or do you want an appraisal? Assuming it's the latter, Connie Hurt does appraisals for tax (donation) purposes. You'd need something a bit different, a where-is, as-is cash appraisal which will be much lower than a tax appraisal.

The other/ additional option is to see what retailers will pay for it, same where-is, as-is they pick up conditions. They will all, I'm certain, offer you less than whatever Connie Hurt might appraise it at. I would be up front with them and not waste their time- if you're looking for a cash appraisal, tell them so and offer to pay them for their time.

Yet another option is to upload photos, email the appropriate people at entomological institutions, and ask what they'll pay for it. They may well not respond if they don't know you, or they think you're just in need of a price. But this will be your lowest possible value, because institutions pay almost nothing for collections.

And one more option- ask HER what she'll pay for it. Then she gets it, and it comes off your share. She doesn't want it? Then it's not worth anything, is it?

In my case, I further informed her lawyer that I also knew everyone that might appraise the collection, implying the appraisal would be biased. And, that my specimens are almost all wild-caught, so have scientific value, but are effectively cash worthless. And that my ex would be footing the bill to fly someone in, appraise it, stay overnight at a hotel, and prepare a formal appraisal. That all pretty much killed it.

As far as credentialed letter writers, just a letter means nothing. They'd have to either show a history of having appraised, bought and sold (e.g., retailer), or an extensive history of both buying and selling. Then, to be realistic, a value by specimen or at least by drawer. The last one I appraised was 14,000 specimens and something like 200 drawers, and boy did that take a lot of time...and I did it by drawer.

Good luck.
Trehopr1
Global Moderators
Global Moderators
Reactions:
United States of America

Re: Huge Michigan collection up for grabs

Post by Trehopr1 »

I believe you should contact Alex Bic of bicbugs first.
He is presently the largest dealer of insects in the US.
I also happen to know that he buys insect collections that interest him. Talk with him first as I believe he will offer you the best price if he is interested in it at all.

Connie Hurt no longer owns her business as she sold out to someone else (as far as I know). She may do appraisals but, to be honest the drawers and associated cabinets are probably worth more than all the specimens
combined.

Your considerable collection sounds like it's scientifically based on the fauna present in Michigan and thereabouts. However, native butterfly collections don't tend to have much worth from the species standpoint as only a few token species or subspecies are of any true notoriety.