A real decline of N.A. Hyalophora cecropia ?

Discussion on butterflies, moths and skippers
Trehopr1
Global Moderators
Global Moderators
Reactions:
United States of America

A real decline of N.A. Hyalophora cecropia ?

Post by Trehopr1 »

I fear that North America's largest saturniid species (Hyalophora cecropia) has either gone into serious decline or has become much more localized in its haunts. Fellow collectors have all been reporting of the species "lack of presence" in areas once known to harbor it.

Cecropia traditionally was never as common or gregarious in the wild as our Polyphemus moth (Antherea polyphemus). Perhaps, through human growth and expansion, herbicide/pesticide usage, and a change to different tree stock used in municipalities has resulted in it being (largely) marginalized as a species.

I think these are all good reasons for such a thing to happen as man's presence (anywhere) affects everything to some degree. It seems there are always a few species which are able to adjust to change however, the GREATER number are generally unable to do so and find such change untenable to their existence in that locale.

Do others feel as I do about this species ?

Look forward to others opinions...
eurytides
Meek
Meek
Reactions:
Canada

Re: A real decline of N.A. Hyalophora cecropia ?

Post by eurytides »

I haven’t lived long enough to see trends. However, reading about people’s collecting experience from about a century ago, a decline is indisputable. A major factor seems to be Compsilura.
Trehopr1
Global Moderators
Global Moderators
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by Trehopr1 »

Oh' good grief Eurytides you are so right !

I forgot all about that introduced tachinid fly species which was introduced in 1906 to control the spread of gypsy moth.

I suppose you can add that one big factor into (all of the other factors) which I mentioned and it's not hard to figure out why certain species seem to be fading away.
Chuck
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Solomon Islands

Post by Chuck »

The potential decline of cecropia merits further study, as well as investment by hobbyists. Unlike some other Saturnids, cecropia isn't generally drawn to MV, so it's hard to get a feel for population.

Here's a blurb and reference on the tachinid, along with a reference study, should one want to chase it down for further info:

"Some populations of Hyalophora cecropia may be in decline due to a number of factors, including nontarget effects of introduced biological control agents. Boettner et al. (2000) suggested that the generalist parasitoid fly Compsilura concinnata (Diptera: Tachinidae) may be responsible for such declines in the northeastern U.S."

https://entnemdept.ufl.edu/creatures/bf ... a_moth.htm

In my area, I can't say whether cecropia populations have dropped, though if I had to "guess" I'd say they have. But then again, Callosamia promethea used to be so common at the MV that it was a nuisance, then a few years ago got to about 50/50 with angulifera (which I hadn't seen till 10 years ago) with a total lesser count, and as of last year zero for both.
Chuck
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Solomon Islands

Post by Chuck »

Here's a 10 year old summary from LepSoc. Interesting to me, as 10 years ago I would have said there'd been no change in Saturnid populations where I am.

http://nationalmothweek.org/wp-content/ ... ecline.pdf
58chevy
Meek
Meek
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by 58chevy »

cecropia has always been somewhat of a migratory species, with the populations drifting from one location to another. Just wait awhile, maybe they'll return to your area.
kevinkk
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by kevinkk »

I think species might wax and wane from varying things like the weather the previous year, or habitat changes.
When I go out and use my UV light, it's always a crap shoot, it does matter if you know where you're going, and
what you've found before, if you've been to that particular location. I find the term "locally common" somewhat
relevant, I used to think Hyalophora euryalus was one of those species that a person might have 1 or 2 fly in on
a good night, that was until my last trip where I brought home 13 males and 1 female, with more moths flying in.
We got no polyphemus, or sphinx, I assume that's probably normal for that location, I suppose that's why long term
data is so useful. I try and get out to new spots, but also like visiting my success areas to see what's up, not always
possible though, for 2 years now, we've been locked out of Breitenbush because of the wildfires in 2020, call the forest service
and you get the business- "5K fine if you get caught on the wrong side of the gate" thanks for the help there bureaucrat X.