Farmed specimens of Troides plateni

Share the gems of your insect collection with the InsectNet community
martellat0
Reactions:
Philippines

Farmed specimens of Troides plateni

Post by martellat0 »

Sharing a photo of two of my specimens of Troides plateni here. These were farmed by a breeder in Palawan, hence the pristine state of their velvet black wings.
A common yet quite magnificent species in my opinion.
Panacanthus
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
United States of America

Re: Farmed specimens of Troides plateni

Post by Panacanthus »

The Troides have always been a favorite of mine, with their unmatched richness of yellow, against that velvet black. That is indeed a beautiful pair AND an excellent spreading job!
“Seems to me the natural world is the greatest source of excitement; the greatest source of visual beauty; the greatest source of intellectual interest. It is the greatest source of so much in life that makes life worth living.” -David Attenborough
martellat0
Reactions:
Philippines

Post by martellat0 »

Thank you! As you can probably tell from my avatar, I too, love Troides spp. As it happens, my first ever butterfly specimen was a male T. rhadamantus that was given to me by a local lepidopterist. She actually introduced me to the concept of scientific collecting, which proved to be a rewarding outlet for me to channel what had been a lifelong love of insects. That same day, I caught and pinned my first specimen (a male Graphium doson). It wasn't anywhere near as nicely spread as these, but two years and about two thousand specimens later, I still look upon those two inaugural specimens with fondness.
Luehdorf
Reactions:
Germany

Post by Luehdorf »

martellat0 wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2024 2:53 pm Sharing a photo of two of my specimens of Troides plateni here. These were farmed by a breeder in Palawan, hence the pristine state of their velvet black wings.
A common yet quite magnificent species in my opinion.
They are so beautiful! In pristine condition almost every butterfly is just stunning, I enjoy to look at even the most common ones, when they are just freshly emerged, so many details and fine structures on the wings.