Has anyone heard of the seller Roger An?

Request information on insect specimen traders or offer reports about your transactions from your personal experience. Only registered users can view this information.
butterflygirl
Reactions:
United States of America

Has anyone heard of the seller Roger An?

Post by butterflygirl »

I was just contacted by someone calling themselves Roger An using the gmail address roger.an.99@gmail.com. I told them I no longer use the friends and family option nor do I send money to sellers I am unfamiliar with and must receive the livestock first. They asked me if I would send them half now and then half upon receipt because they too have been scanned. I told them I would get back to them after talking to more knowledgeable friends. I was just curious if anyone knew this seller. I have to admit it feels fishy.
kevinkk
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
United States of America

Re: Has anyone heard of the seller Roger An?

Post by kevinkk »

If the email is unsolicited, I'd be more than cautious. It's probably a scam, that means most likely, not 100%. I get unsolicited email often
enough, and never answer it unless I am familiar with the individual. We all have regular contacts,
and sometimes those persons will contact me, but I know them.
About payments- Sometimes, in fact, most of the time, payment has to be made first, there is postage to consider, as well as the seller, I wouldn't
send anyone anything for "free" unless it was going to further a relationship already made, that's simply the way it is. Also, not every obscure payment method is a scam, I have used Western Union before, although it cost me more than the material itself, and I had the person verified by someone I knew was trustworthy.
butterflygirl
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by butterflygirl »

kevinkk wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 4:22 pm If the email is unsolicited, I'd be more than cautious. It's probably a scam, that means most likely, not 100%. I get unsolicited email often
enough, and never answer it unless I am familiar with the individual. We all have regular contacts,
and sometimes those persons will contact me, but I know them.
About payments- Sometimes, in fact, most of the time, payment has to be made first, there is postage to consider, as well as the seller, I wouldn't
send anyone anything for "free" unless it was going to further a relationship already made, that's simply the way it is. Also, not every obscure payment method is a scam, I have used Western Union before, although it cost me more than the material itself, and I had the person verified by someone I knew was trustworthy.
I don't mind paying and I don't expect anything for free :( . I was scammed out of 50 dollars I had been saving for this hobby and since I'm poor I can't afford to throw money at people and not get what I paid for. I will pay with friends and family to people I know and pay beforehand. I don't know where you're getting that I expect anything for free. Once I received the materials I would have paid. I was trying to check with people here before I make a mistake.
adamcotton
Global Moderators
Global Moderators
Reactions:
Thailand

Post by adamcotton »

butterflygirl,

I don't think kevink was in any way implying that you wouldn't have paid on receipt. I think he just meant that you can't expect a seller to want to send goods without payment up front.

On the other hand, you definitely did the right thing posting on Insectnet to check whether anyone knows the seller. If nobody can vouch for him I would be wary, especially if the seller initiated the offer to you.

Adam.
kevinkk
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by kevinkk »

Exactly. I apologize for being misunderstood, and should have been more clear. There are some sellers who will send material like ova
before payment, but it's more of a EU practice.
I've only had a couple people send diapuased material before a payment as well.
No matter our economic status, nobody wants to make unintended "donations" I certainly have no extra money, it's
all spoken for.
butterflygirl
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by butterflygirl »

adamcotton wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 9:15 pm butterflygirl,

I don't think kevink was in any way implying that you wouldn't have paid on receipt. I think he just meant that you can't expect a seller to want to send goods without payment up front.

On the other hand, you definitely did the right thing posting on Insectnet to check whether anyone knows the seller. If nobody can vouch for him I would be wary, especially if the seller initiated the offer to you.

Adam.
kevinkk wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 10:11 pm Exactly. I apologize for being misunderstood, and should have been more clear. There are some sellers who will send material like ova
before payment, but it's more of a EU practice.
I've only had a couple people send diapuased material before a payment as well.
No matter our economic status, nobody wants to make unintended "donations" I certainly have no extra money, it's
all spoken for.
I'm sorry for the misunderstanding. I've been very very tired as I am autistic and have severe insomnia plus I was without my medicine for a few days. Roger An sent me pictures which I reversed searched on google images. There are no exact matches to any of the three nor could it lead me to a different source.

kevinkk
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by kevinkk »

Sure, just do be cautious with email from unknown persons. Now and then I get email from sellers I don't know, they will go through old ads sometimes
looking for victims.
Even so, even well meaning people can be unreliable, or worse, using goods and services is the only way to have an insurance policy, I've been
fooled twice, and recovered my money by the grace of providence and luck, because I don't always take my own advice. I understand the
issues with PayPal, but sellers really need to think about customers, especially new ones when it comes to payment methods.
adamcotton
Global Moderators
Global Moderators
Reactions:
Thailand

Post by adamcotton »

There seems to be a distinct lack of anyone vouching for the seller.

Adam.
Borearctia
Reactions:
Cambodia

Post by Borearctia »

The owner of "WormyCuriosities" is Roger An.
You could contact him via Etsy and ask if the email to you is from him.

https://www.etsy.com/de/shop/WormyCurio ... ile_header
butterflygirl
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by butterflygirl »

Borearctia wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 3:14 am The owner of "WormyCuriosities" is Roger An.
You could contact him via Etsy and ask if the email to you is from him.

https://www.etsy.com/de/shop/WormyCurio ... ile_header
Thank you! I'm pretty sure he's legit now.