Blood Sucking Mites living on our skin

Request help to identify insects or other creatures. Please post the location that the insect you want to identify came from, this will help greatly in species determination.
CaribLife
Reactions:
Barbados

Blood Sucking Mites living on our skin

Post by CaribLife »

We live in the Caribbean and have these mites crawl on us and bite us. Each one has been picked off our skin right after it bit us so please help us ID them. They are nearly invisible to the naked eye even as adults.
Attachments
please identify these bugs -JC.jpeg
please identify these bugs -JC.jpeg (155.26 KiB) Viewed 383 times
kevinkk
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
United States of America

Re: Blood Sucking Mites living on our skin

Post by kevinkk »

I am not seeing anything that looks like a living organism, at least not an Arthopod. Good photography, but they look like sand grains to me.
Perhaps someone else has better eyes.
kevinkk
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by kevinkk »

It's pretty clear now. Apparently this post is another fake one, presumably, in consideration, by an android intelligence. Having given you
the benefit of the doubt originally, I will be weighing the possibilities when answering future dubious entries.
It's not funny. You are not actually fooling anyone. Your dipstick robot has no experience in the field of entomology and, yes, even I can spot
a fake, while foolishly giving you the benefit of the doubt.
alandmor
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by alandmor »

kevinkk wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 2:56 pm It's pretty clear now. Apparently this post is another fake one, presumably, in consideration, by an android intelligence. Having given you
the benefit of the doubt originally, I will be weighing the possibilities when answering future dubious entries.
It's not funny. You are not actually fooling anyone. Your dipstick robot has no experience in the field of entomology and, yes, even I can spot
a fake, while foolishly giving you the benefit of the doubt.
I wouldn't write it off quite so easily. Delusory parasitosis is real and there are many case examples of it similar to this one. Those who suffer from it are convinced some small organism is causing their symptoms and submit samples for identification and case histories similar to this. In reality, it is all psychosomatic but patients have a hard time believing otherwise, hence the term delusory.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK5 ... esentation.
CaribLife
Reactions:
Barbados

Post by CaribLife »

You guys are just brutal. The pictures were taking when they were biting us as you can see they are sitting on our skin and you can actually see their legs are going inside our skin. Take a close look before you judge people. If you don't know that's ok we haven't had anyone able to identify them but they are certainly real.
Trehopr1
Global Moderators
Global Moderators
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by Trehopr1 »

Having been an exterminator for a 3-year period I can best suggest that you set off a "bug bomb"in the bedroom in question. Within a prescribed number of hours usually listed on the canister you can return and anything and everything that may have been living in that space will be dead.

Either get rid of the bedding or run it in the washer on hot for an extended cycle.... Do not allow any pets whatsoever to share your bed. No cats no dogs no rabbits etc.

I would suggest even better to get rid of the mattress altogether and buy yourself a new one with new bedding.
Problems like this are preventative....

Change bedding every 7 to 10 days at regular intervals. Shower once every day and generally keep pets out of the bedroom your sleeping in as they oftentimes harbor mites, ticks, and fleas which either find their way into the carpeting or into the very bedding that you find yourself sleeping in.
kevinkk
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by kevinkk »

Brutal? Ok, I can take that. I answered the post in the manner I answer posts, I can only see what I see, nothing else.
April 29th was 6 days ago, it's not beyond reasoning that I might have concluded the post was not urgent. Not long ago
there was a post about Ninja clothes moths made in some bizarre attempt at subterfuge, I shouldn't have made my second post,
there was nothing to be gained by making it, however, I am still not seeing the animals, something I have already mentioned.
I don't know, if that works, an opinion was requested, and there you go.
adamcotton
Global Moderators
Global Moderators
Reactions:
Thailand

Post by adamcotton »

I also cannot see any arthropods in the photos provided. They look like grains of sand or dirt, not living organisms.

If you are being bitten by something I suspect that it bites and then leaves your skin immediately.

Adam.
Chuck
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
Solomon Islands

Post by Chuck »

CaribLife wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 10:13 pm You guys are just brutal. The pictures were taking when they were biting us as you can see they are sitting on our skin and you can actually see their legs are going inside our skin. Take a close look before you judge people. If you don't know that's ok we haven't had anyone able to identify them but they are certainly real.
"real" of course, but it's not what you think.

Those are not legs. They are more likely clothing fibers of some sort.

The top left image does not appear to be an animal.
The top right image appears to be skin and a fiber.
If any of the others are animals, they've been rolled, squished, or whatever.
Some of the remainder do show a "thread" piercing the skin, though it appears that the thread is not part of your skin, nor of the purported parasite, but an independent fiber that has penetrated skin and/or the whatever-it-is.

To me, the "parasites" look like skin that has been rolled/squished. You may be being bitten, but I don't think it's those things you showed, I think it's the fiber that appears in most of the photos. Keeping in mind that not all bites are felt immediately- chiggers in particular; by the time you feel something the actual event has long passed.
Panacanthus
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by Panacanthus »

Have you seen/asked a doctor?
“Seems to me the natural world is the greatest source of excitement; the greatest source of visual beauty; the greatest source of intellectual interest. It is the greatest source of so much in life that makes life worth living.” -David Attenborough
biscuit153
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by biscuit153 »

Forgive for the plug, but the link below is to an excellent podcast that I follow. The episode linked I think may be particularly relevant to the present discussion. These can be challenging cases for sufferer and diagnostician alike

https://arthro-pod.blogspot.com/2024/01 ... tosis.html