Recent posts
Topic: How Genetic studies reveal new relationships, species | Author: Chuck | Replies: 27 | Views: 12739
Chuck
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024

Re: How Genetic studies reveal new relationships, species

by Chuck » Tue Nov 28, 2023 7:03 pm

Do we have any BOLD experts?

Bold gives me a list of the top 100 matches and the % match to a given barcode.

It also gives me a map with the location of matches greater than 98%. I don't want this. I want a map for only the 100% matches.

Any idea?
Topic: RIP Colin Smith (Nepal) | Author: adamcotton | Replies: 9 | Views: 4603
Kirkwilliams

Re: RIP Colin Smith (Nepal)

by Kirkwilliams » Tue Nov 28, 2023 5:58 pm

I remember chatting to him in the queue to get into the AES at Kempton Park years ago.
Must pull out his book tonight.
Topic: RIP Colin Smith (Nepal) | Author: adamcotton | Replies: 9 | Views: 4603
adamcotton
Global Moderators
Global Moderators

RIP Colin Smith (Nepal)

by adamcotton » Tue Nov 28, 2023 5:05 pm

I have been reliably informed that the Nepal butterfly expert, Colin Smith, passed away on November 4th in Kathmandu aged 87.

I remember he visited me here in Chiang Mai many years ago (1985?), and I have a signed copy of the 1989 edition of his book Butterflies of Nepal which he sent me. He also wrote many other books on Butterflies of Nepal, and was actively studying butterflies until very recently.

Adam.
Topic: Information: share it or keep it a secret? | Author: Chuck | Replies: 4 | Views: 2733
Chuck
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024

Re: Information: share it or keep it a secret?

by Chuck » Tue Nov 28, 2023 1:11 pm

Vernon is a driver. Clearly, he has no fear of sharing information for free, the time he's invested- with zero cash return- is amazing.

For most people, it's time. The TIME that I put into my stupid pet projects is disheartening, particularly since I rely on others and can't get what I need.

TIME is what prohibits me from, for example, photographing every specimen in my collection and sharing it. Even at a reduced effort, it's TIME- I keep thinking to photo my Ecuador skippers for John, but can't get to it.

But surely there are those who accumulate specimens of great interest who withhold that information.
Topic: Ornithoptera | Author: Annarobertson1947 | Replies: 4 | Views: 2661
Chuck
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024

Re: Ornithoptera

by Chuck » Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:40 pm

Since it's a large collection, you may find a US or European buyer who has an import license, and can help step you through AUS export regulations.

It would be interesting to know which Ornithoptera you have obtained over the years, why not share it here?
Topic: Ornithoptera | Author: Annarobertson1947 | Replies: 4 | Views: 2661
Annarobertson1947

Ornithoptera

by Annarobertson1947 » Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:27 pm

I have a reasonably large Ornithoptera collection and as am of advanced years wish to relocate to a new home.
Selling overseas is not permitted and as I'm in Australia i see myself only able to sell to Australian buyers.
If interested send me your wants list on a PM.
Anna Robertson
Topic: Information: share it or keep it a secret? | Author: Chuck | Replies: 4 | Views: 2733
Trehopr1
Global Moderators
Global Moderators

by Trehopr1 » Mon Nov 27, 2023 7:21 pm

I would also point out that publishing information which is new gives that author due credit and it will always remain so.

As long as the information is published through all the right channels and by a legitimately recognized outlet then the author has done his part at the "dissemination of knowledge".

What others choose to do with that information is out of the author's hands....

It is a pity that your friends expert knowledge about a particular collectible will really never serve anyone (more than himself) as whatever unpublished knowledge he has gained will die with him someday AND he will never receive due credit for its actual discovery.....
Trehopr1
Global Moderators
Global Moderators

by Trehopr1 » Mon Nov 27, 2023 6:51 pm

Hi Chuck,

Indeed, a good question and I think Vernon Brou might give us a good opinion of in this matter.

Vernon says he has produced some 400+ papers on entomology related topics over his lifetime. I think that makes him one of the most prolific writers of recent times.While much of his research is based upon the captures he's made in Louisiana, new species descriptions, and general methodology of capture techniques; he has presented NEW scientific information not published previously.

He has certainly proved (time and time) again that many species of lepidoptera in his region are actually multi-brooded and NOT single or double brooded as many past references noted or assumed or plagiarized from older authors.

So, I think he's an ideal guy to reach out to for his opinion as I think he is ably qualified to answer it.

Through his tireless years of research and dedication he has produced much 1st time information not written down or documented otherwise (before).

Perhaps he will read this topic and answer....
Chuck
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024

Information: share it or keep it a secret?

by Chuck » Mon Nov 27, 2023 4:02 pm

EdTomologist wrote on a topic I've been meaning to voice; he wrote "Given that my work is still to be published I don’t want to reveal too much. I also do have a concern regarding individuals using my work to sell man made aberrations but I believe it’s more important to have knowledge freely accessible."

Diametrically opposed to this, a friend of mine is the #1 world authority on a particular antique collectible. He knows EVERYTHING. But he doesn't share it. His reasoning, which has significant concern, is that in sharing the info the fraudsters will be able to accurately reproduce artifacts such that the experts can't tell. But it's more than that- if he were to publish the info then he wouldn't be sole authority.

There is of course some info one would not want to share: that which could land one in trouble, that which could endanger a species or population. But what of all the information we all hold, and don't share via publication or even a post here? I look at BOLD and GBIF and notice how much is NOT there, which is sorely needed. While this info is not intentionally withheld (more likely just don't have the time) it's a shame that it's not shared.

How do we get all this information shared? How do we motivate those who have important data to share it rather than keep it?
Topic: Yearly donation to the forum - Premium Members 2024 | Author: wollastoni | Replies: 13 | Views: 15380
Chuck
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024

Re: Yearly donation to the forum - Premium Members 2024

by Chuck » Mon Nov 27, 2023 3:46 pm

Again? Already?? I better go check email, glad you posted something.
Topic: Fumigant Lifetime | Author: jhyatt | Replies: 15 | Views: 6931
Chuck
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024

Re: Fumigant Lifetime

by Chuck » Mon Nov 27, 2023 3:43 pm

Up in the NE Great Lakes area, outdoor humidity is about 65% - 75% for six months, then 30% the other six months. Even with multiple dehumidifiers running sometimes in summer it's a struggle to keep the bug room under 50%. This is when the problems start.

One thing I've found is that once a drawer has an infestation, even minor, it's more inclined to in the future. And, if a drawer gets badly infested, it's more likely to get badly infested again. Maybe they find it easier to feed on already-damaged specimens. Point is, I know which drawers are likely to have a problem. I also flag them with those little stick-on arrows so I can find them easily for inspection.

Another observation- off topic somewhat- is drawers that get infested. When I took over maintenance of the Iveson collection (14,000 specimens, 150 drawers) there were substantial infestations in some drawers, while the drawers adjacent would be fine. Oddly, there seemed to be zero correlation with the seal on the drawer- some badly infested seemed to be extremely well made and well sealed, while some with never any infestation were loose fitted and badly constructed drawers. I never could figure it out.

Anyway, when the garage is sub-zero (25F or less) I rotate four drawers at a time through the garage for three days. Four because that's the number I can carry safely. Only last year did I run out of cold-enough days to do the entire collection. If we had room for a chest freezer I'd get one, but wife says I have too much stuff already, so no chest freezer. A Porsche is also out of the question.
jhyatt

by jhyatt » Mon Nov 27, 2023 3:07 pm

[quote=Chuck post_id=8523 time=1701093488 user_id=100

It's my suggestion to find a way to freeze drawers, always keep humidity under 50%, and avoid fumigants. This, of course, is not always possible, but for those who do have the space (yes, you do John) a freezer (or second freezer) is the way to go.
[/quote]

Summertime humidity is kept at around 30-35% with a dehumidifier and in winter the heating takes it even lower, so that's not a problem. But noticing which drawers need a freeze treatment is a bit of a problem -- With close to 600 drawers, I always have some I haven't opened or looked at in a year or three... Guess I could institute a 6-monthly program of looking at everything, though. A 2nd freezer might be a good idea, too. Mine is the smallest chest freezer I could buy, ca. 5 cu. ft.

Tks,
jh
Chuck
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024

by Chuck » Mon Nov 27, 2023 1:58 pm

I've pretty much gotten away from fumigants. If I find any beetles during summer I toss a PDB in the drawer and that seems to take care of them.

I'm "fortunate" enough that during winter I can rotate most of the collection through the sub-freezing garage. Purportedly, the drawers have to go through two freezes to catch adults then eggs, but in my experience one rotation through a freeze does the job.

It's my suggestion to find a way to freeze drawers, always keep humidity under 50%, and avoid fumigants. This, of course, is not always possible, but for those who do have the space (yes, you do John) a freezer (or second freezer) is the way to go.
Topic: Looking for "Käfer Mitteleuropas - Larven" | Author: Lucavs | Replies: 4 | Views: 3462
adamcotton
Global Moderators
Global Moderators

Re: Looking for "Käfer Mitteleuropas - Larven"

by adamcotton » Mon Nov 27, 2023 10:08 am

Hopefully someone here can help find these works. Adding all these details will definitely help.

Adam.
Topic: New Charaxini Paper | Author: Cabintom | Replies: 2 | Views: 2572
wollastoni
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: New Charaxini Paper

by wollastoni » Mon Nov 27, 2023 8:09 am

Very interesting ! Congrats Thierry !
Topic: Yearly donation to the forum - Premium Members 2024 | Author: wollastoni | Replies: 13 | Views: 15380
Topic: New Charaxini Paper | Author: Cabintom | Replies: 2 | Views: 2572
Cabintom

New Charaxini Paper

by Cabintom » Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:54 am

Thierry Bouyer has published a systematic revision of Charaxini. It can be found here.

The abstract:
The systematics of Charaxini is revised. The three historical genera are confirmed: Charaxes (Ochsenheimer, 1816);
Polyura (Billberg, 1820) and Euxanthe (Hübner, 1819). The genera Eriboea (Hübner, 1819) status rev.; Zingha
(Hemming, 1939) status rev.; Viridixes (Bouyer & Vingerhoedt, 2008) status rev. and Euxanthe subgenus
Hypomelaena (Aurivillius, 1898) status. rev. are reinstated. Three new genera are described: Laodice genus nov. with
the type species Papilio lycurgus (Fabricius, 1793); Setechin genus nov. with the type species Charaxes nichetes
(Grose-Smith, 1883) and Ydeali genus nov. with the type species Charaxes lydiae (Holland, 1917). A key to the nine
genera is provided.
jhyatt

by jhyatt » Sun Nov 26, 2023 10:49 pm

Chris Grinter wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 9:23 pm
jhyatt wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 2:54 pm
Chris Grinter wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 6:07 am A chest freezer can fit drawers vertically, years ago I had one in a lab that could easily fit 6 at once. Pretty cheap to purchase and run.
Got one, but it's too full of boxes of papered leps to hold any drawers!

jh
Haha yes just need the discipline to use the freezer for nothing other than pest management.
Let's see now: I take the boxes of papered stuff out of the freezer, take the fumigant out of drawers, put it into the boxes, put the boxes on a shelf, and put the drawers in the freezer, and I'm good to go!
Chris Grinter

by Chris Grinter » Sun Nov 26, 2023 9:23 pm

jhyatt wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 2:54 pm
Chris Grinter wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 6:07 am A chest freezer can fit drawers vertically, years ago I had one in a lab that could easily fit 6 at once. Pretty cheap to purchase and run.
Got one, but it's too full of boxes of papered leps to hold any drawers!

jh
Haha yes just need the discipline to use the freezer for nothing other than pest management.
Topic: Looking for "Käfer Mitteleuropas - Larven" | Author: Lucavs | Replies: 4 | Views: 3462
Lucavs

Re: Looking for "Käfer Mitteleuropas - Larven"

by Lucavs » Sun Nov 26, 2023 7:24 pm

Thanks, is a book series. I put the references below:

Kafer Mitteleuropas. Larven. L1. Adephaga
Autor: Klausnitzer, Bernhard
Erscheinungsjahr: 1991
Sprache: Deutsch
Seitenzahl:
ISBN-NR.: 3827406986
Verlag: Spektrum Akademischer Verlag

Kafer Mitteleuropas. Larven. Bd L2. Myxophaga, Polyphaga 1