Recent posts
Topic: New Charaxini Paper | Author: Cabintom | Replies: 2 | Views: 2542
Cabintom

New Charaxini Paper

by Cabintom » Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:54 am

Thierry Bouyer has published a systematic revision of Charaxini. It can be found here.

The abstract:
The systematics of Charaxini is revised. The three historical genera are confirmed: Charaxes (Ochsenheimer, 1816);
Polyura (Billberg, 1820) and Euxanthe (Hübner, 1819). The genera Eriboea (Hübner, 1819) status rev.; Zingha
(Hemming, 1939) status rev.; Viridixes (Bouyer & Vingerhoedt, 2008) status rev. and Euxanthe subgenus
Hypomelaena (Aurivillius, 1898) status. rev. are reinstated. Three new genera are described: Laodice genus nov. with
the type species Papilio lycurgus (Fabricius, 1793); Setechin genus nov. with the type species Charaxes nichetes
(Grose-Smith, 1883) and Ydeali genus nov. with the type species Charaxes lydiae (Holland, 1917). A key to the nine
genera is provided.
Topic: Fumigant Lifetime | Author: jhyatt | Replies: 15 | Views: 6892
jhyatt

Re: Fumigant Lifetime

by jhyatt » Sun Nov 26, 2023 10:49 pm

Chris Grinter wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 9:23 pm
jhyatt wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 2:54 pm
Chris Grinter wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 6:07 am A chest freezer can fit drawers vertically, years ago I had one in a lab that could easily fit 6 at once. Pretty cheap to purchase and run.
Got one, but it's too full of boxes of papered leps to hold any drawers!

jh
Haha yes just need the discipline to use the freezer for nothing other than pest management.
Let's see now: I take the boxes of papered stuff out of the freezer, take the fumigant out of drawers, put it into the boxes, put the boxes on a shelf, and put the drawers in the freezer, and I'm good to go!
Chris Grinter

by Chris Grinter » Sun Nov 26, 2023 9:23 pm

jhyatt wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 2:54 pm
Chris Grinter wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 6:07 am A chest freezer can fit drawers vertically, years ago I had one in a lab that could easily fit 6 at once. Pretty cheap to purchase and run.

jh
Haha yes just need the discipline to use the freezer for nothing other than pest management.
Topic: Looking for "Käfer Mitteleuropas - Larven" | Author: Lucavs | Replies: 4 | Views: 3422
Lucavs

Re: Looking for "Käfer Mitteleuropas - Larven"

by Lucavs » Sun Nov 26, 2023 7:24 pm

Thanks, is a book series. I put the references below:

Kafer Mitteleuropas. Larven. L1. Adephaga
Autor: Klausnitzer, Bernhard
Erscheinungsjahr: 1991
Sprache: Deutsch
Seitenzahl:
ISBN-NR.: 3827406986
Verlag: Spektrum Akademischer Verlag

Kafer Mitteleuropas. Larven. Bd L2. Myxophaga, Polyphaga 1
Erscheinungsjahr: 1994
Seitenzahl:
ISBN-NR.: 3827406994

Kafer Mitteleuropas. Larven. Bd L3. Polyphaga 2
Erscheinungsjahr: 1996
Seitenzahl: 335 S.
ISBN-NR.: 3827407036

Kafer Mitteleuropas. Larven. Bd L4. Polyphaga 3
Erscheinungsjahr: 1997
Seitenzahl:
ISBN-NR.:

Kafer Mitteleuropas. Larven. Bd L5. Polyphaga 4
Erscheinungsjahr: 2001
Seitenzahl: 300 S.
ISBN-NR.: 3827409292

Kafer Mitteleuropas. Larven. Bd.6. Polyphaga
Erscheinungsjahr: 2001
Seitenzahl: 300 S.
ISBN-NR.: 3827409292
jhyatt

by jhyatt » Sun Nov 26, 2023 2:54 pm

jh
Topic: Looking for "Käfer Mitteleuropas - Larven" | Author: Lucavs | Replies: 4 | Views: 3422
adamcotton
Global Moderators
Global Moderators

Re: Looking for "Käfer Mitteleuropas - Larven"

by adamcotton » Sun Nov 26, 2023 8:34 am

Do you know the author's name and when it was published? I am sure that would help.

Adam.
Lucavs

Looking for "Käfer Mitteleuropas - Larven"

by Lucavs » Sun Nov 26, 2023 7:38 am

Good morning,
I'm looking for a while for the pages dedicated to the description and iconography of the larvae of species belonging to the genus Stephanopachys, (Bostrichidae). Can you help me? In Italy I have a lot of difficulty finding this source, where I believe they are well described.
A thousand thanks
Luca
Chris Grinter

by Chris Grinter » Sun Nov 26, 2023 6:07 am

A chest freezer can fit drawers vertically, years ago I had one in a lab that could easily fit 6 at once. Pretty cheap to purchase and run.
Topic: Yearly donation to the forum - Premium Members 2024 | Author: wollastoni | Replies: 13 | Views: 15265
livingplanet3
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024

Re: Yearly donation to the forum - Premium Members 2024

by livingplanet3 » Sat Nov 25, 2023 5:35 pm

Donation sent. :)
Topic: Yearly donation to the forum - Premium Members 2024 | Author: wollastoni | Replies: 13 | Views: 15265
wollastoni
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yearly donation to the forum - Premium Members 2024

by wollastoni » Sat Nov 25, 2023 3:06 pm

Dear members,

You will soon receive an email from me about the yearly donation to Insectnet.

Insectnet Forum and the Classifieds are great assets for all of us. It is a friendly place for entomologists where they can share their passion.

The yearly cost of the Classifieds software, the new forum development and the free-attachment-for-all policy is a high cost.

So those of you who find the InsectNet Forum & Classifieds useful and who can afford it, a small donation would be appreciated.
To donate, go there and click on the donate button : https://www.insectnet.com/donate

Benefactors will become "Premium Members" with a 5-star status.

Thank you !
Olivier

PS : if you don't receive your Premium status, send me a message, as sometimes your forum username has no link with your paypal name.
Topic: "Reptile Heaven" and "WildinsectUSA" = SCAM | Author: wollastoni | Replies: 3 | Views: 4596
wollastoni
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: "Reptile Heaven" and "WildinsectUSA" = SCAM

by wollastoni » Fri Nov 24, 2023 2:14 pm

Be careful, I had to remove another of these accounts in the Classifieds (Safman Rosicky).

I see they have "improved" their scam listing now some very rare species at high price (but affordable for the rarity) : https://reptileheaven.com/product/agria ... ournierae/ The real value of this pair would be at least $1,000.

I guess they steal pictures on the web of sold rarities and list them as if they have it. A simple google search about the rarity can lead you to their website.
Topic: USA Cerambycidae2 | Author: 58chevy | Replies: 2 | Views: 5132
KKarns

Re: USA Cerambycidae2

by KKarns » Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:15 pm

Wonderful species! Appreciate the post.
jhyatt

by jhyatt » Tue Nov 21, 2023 7:12 pm

Jshuey wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 3:21 pm The other thing to ponder, this stuff is not good for you. It can cause neurological damage. My bug room is pretty small, so I use it as sparingly as possible.

John
Yep, it's a cholinesterase inhibitor. My bug room is a roughly 60' X 40' open basement, fairly well ventilated, and I don't spend huge amounts of time there. Still, it's a concern. Paradichlorobenzene also can produce neurological effects. PDCB is more volatile than dichlorvos and needs replacement much more often, so I've switched to dichlorvos. But I think I will follow Shuey in using smaller pieces than I have been.

It's a dilemma; I can see why big museums have gone over to watching and freezing when infestations occur. But without a really big freezer, that's impractical at home.

jh
mothman55
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024

by mothman55 » Tue Nov 21, 2023 5:45 pm

Agree with Jshuey, as I keep my roughly 80 drawers in my basement. I would be concerned that 80 chunks of no pest strip might be a health concern for family that spends lots of time in the basement, obviously not in the room with the bugs, but what's to keep it confined to that particular room. I used to use moth crystals, but my wife put a stop to that many years ago as any time she went near the "moth room" as we call it, she could smell it, and its not safe either. So now for the past few years I am using cedar oil, not in the drawers, but in cabinets and about the room. I soak cedar disks in cedar oil, and place them around the drawers in the room. The cedar smell is rather pleasant, and diminishes after a day or two after treatment. I repeat this about every 2 or 3 months. So far no pests, but I know cedar oil will not kill the pests, only deter them, so I check my most valuable specimens routinely, just a flashlight to look under the bodies for any dust.
Topic: Enough already, with the fake aberrations | Author: mothman55 | Replies: 9 | Views: 4698
EdTomologist

Re: Enough already, with the fake aberrations

by EdTomologist » Tue Nov 21, 2023 4:41 pm

Just commenting on the first reference to “tungstate injections”

As someone who wrote their thesis on the topic of wing development signaling, tungstate is mainly effective for nymphalids and certain groups of butterflies. It’s less toxic than other compounds and easily accessible. This makes it a good and easy option for producing aberrations.

There are in reality numerous compounds that induce aberrations through different mechanisms. Some of them mimic stress responses that result in darker wings. It’s a common immune response in insects to produce melanin.

There are also variable patterns that can be induced depending on the stage of injection.

I have been working with a new compound that can actually lighten the wings instead of darken them.

Given that my work is still to be published I don’t want to reveal too much. I also do have a concern regarding individuals using my work to sell man made aberrations but I believe it’s more important to have knowledge freely accessible.

I should also note that unlike tungstate where the mechanism of action (how it works) is unknown, a lot of other compounds we know exactly how they act. The main difference between compounds is their toxicity, the cost, and the difficulty in acquiring the compounds (must have scientific institutional purchase accounts).

Below is an artificial aberration from my research a while back plus link to other pictures.

[media] https://x.com/edtomologist/status/17270 ... UjOYW-YQdw[/media]
🦋
Dive into the fascinating world of insects! Explore my blog, Instagram, and website. Don't miss our newsletter and the latest from butterfly adventures!
🌿📷🌐
Jshuey
Global Moderators
Global Moderators

by Jshuey » Tue Nov 21, 2023 3:21 pm

The other thing to ponder, this stuff is not good for you. It can cause neurological damage. My bug room is pretty small, so I use it as sparingly as possible.

John
jhyatt

by jhyatt » Tue Nov 21, 2023 3:07 pm

Paul K wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 1:36 am In some of my drawers I haven’t change them since I started using these in 2015-16. They are pale yellow but so far no pests, I’m not sure if they still do work or I have no pest in my room.
Of course the usable lifetime may vary from drawer to drawer, depending on the rate of air exchange inside the particular drawer. I renewed all of mine about 1 year ago; I guess I'll let them go at least another year, or 2 or 3, unless I find an infestation... and I'll replace it in any drawers where I notice an unusually pale chunk of dichlorvos strip. I suspect there's no valid general answer to my original question.

jh
Jshuey
Global Moderators
Global Moderators

by Jshuey » Tue Nov 21, 2023 2:02 pm

I put little squares of dichlorvos in about three years ago. And I just saw a dermestid last month. So - about 2+ years? Or less - I assume that you get some time after the strips quit working - right? I use smaller squares than you do - more like 1/4th inch.

I'll be renewing it all over the long weekend this week.

John
Topic: Enough already, with the fake aberrations | Author: mothman55 | Replies: 9 | Views: 4698
teinopalpus

Re: Enough already, with the fake aberrations

by teinopalpus » Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:26 am

Interesting topic. And not easy one .... abberants catched in nature and "created" by chemical injections or gene manipulation are far ends of whole spectrum. I personally never tried doing aberrants by use of chemicals ( although know process ), but several times "created" abberants "old way" by use of changed humidity or temperature. For some species it is easier way than chemical because some species are very negatively responsive to chemical agents. On other side some species are almost impossible to change without chemicals. But .... artifical use of natural factors is something in between far ends. Then we have also simple rearing specimens in different conditions. In my case usually valid for mountain species reared in my home at 400m atitude. Some species did not change, but some species are more plastic and little changes are visible.
And then .. sorry I cant skip that ... climatic change. Species are moving to new places , also on same place weather is changing and dramatic weather anomalies are present frequently and surely phenotype will react to changed conditions.

So as for me - as long as specimen has correct label information with all relevant data, it is OK. And it is only decision of collector if he find value of such specimen for his study/collection.

Jan
Paul K

by Paul K » Tue Nov 21, 2023 1:36 am

In some of my drawers I haven’t change them since I started using these in 2015-16. They are pale yellow but so far no pests, I’m not sure if they still do work or I have no pest in my room.