Recent posts
Topic: Citations of publications? | Author: Chuck | Replies: 8 | Views: 5512
nomihoudai

Re: Citations of publications?

by nomihoudai » Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:08 pm

I think my second paragraph and the suggestion to Mendeley helps you best with your problem. Mendeley creates the citation information from a PDF or can find it by a paper's DOI (all the popular papers come with a DOI, a digital object identifier). When it finds nothing you have a form field where you can enter publication journal, date, pages, etc. yourself.
Lepidoptera distribution maps: lepimap.click
Topic: Citations of publications? | Author: Chuck | Replies: 8 | Views: 5512
nomihoudai

Re: Citations of publications?

by nomihoudai » Fri Dec 08, 2023 7:55 pm

Hello Chuck. People don't format these by hand. You create an intermediate file in BibTex format. After this you configure your text editor to use the BibTex file to reference the citation and you set your citation format there. Check for "How to insert a citation in Microsoft Word using BibTeX" if you use MS Word for example.

I used to store my research papers in Mendeley to create the BibTex files. I would write my research papers using LaTex and Evernote. Personally, I find MS Word horrible, nevertheless it was the more popular choice in our biology department. Which program to use is a matter of personal taste.

Of course a handful can be formatted by hand, but my research papers would usually have more than 50 references. Reviews even up to 150.
Lepidoptera distribution maps: lepimap.click
Topic: P. polytes male Simeulue | Author: adamcotton | Replies: 5 | Views: 4195
adamcotton
Global Moderators
Global Moderators

Re: P. polytes male Simeulue

by adamcotton » Fri Dec 08, 2023 6:15 pm

I have received a series of photos kindly provided by Naturalis, Leiden which are very helpful.

Adam.
Topic: Unknown Spilomelinae from Durban, South Africa | Author: stevewoodhall | Replies: 3 | Views: 3723
Cabintom

Re: Unknown Spilomelinae from Durban, South Africa

by Cabintom » Fri Dec 08, 2023 2:40 pm

Hi Steve! (sorry, I'm absolutely no help with South African moths)
Topic: Communication and the inexplicable | Author: kevinkk | Replies: 6 | Views: 5844
kevinkk
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024

Re: Communication and the inexplicable

by kevinkk » Fri Dec 08, 2023 2:28 am

Sure thing Whitmow,
I think it's safe to consider my issue with Stuart Simpson unresolved and likely to remain that way. I gave him a break and did not make the
paypal claim I could have after following dubious advice from fellow traders. He owes me 73 bucks, which might not seem like a lot of money,
but a long time ago, I "gave" a guy a ride out of town and left him for 9 bucks.
Topic: Papilio filaprae Cameroun ? | Author: Christophe | Replies: 5 | Views: 4811
Christophe

Re: Papilio filaprae Cameroun ?

by Christophe » Thu Dec 07, 2023 7:09 pm

Thanks Adam.
Topic: Unknown Spilomelinae from Durban, South Africa | Author: stevewoodhall | Replies: 3 | Views: 3723
livingplanet3
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024

Re: Unknown Spilomelinae from Durban, South Africa

by livingplanet3 » Thu Dec 07, 2023 7:05 pm

stevewoodhall wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 6:35 pm Hi,

I recently photographed this Spilomeline on the wall in my house. I couldn't find a name in Hermann Staude's new Moths book, or on Afromoths. I was advised to join this forum and ask. The iNat record is here https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/193302918. I see some familiar names among the posters here (hello @cabintom!)...
A species of Syngamia, perhaps?
stevewoodhall

Unknown Spilomelinae from Durban, South Africa

by stevewoodhall » Thu Dec 07, 2023 6:35 pm

Hi,

I recently photographed this Spilomeline on the wall in my house. I couldn't find a name in Hermann Staude's new Moths book, or on Afromoths. I was advised to join this forum and ask. The iNat record is here https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/193302918. I see some familiar names among the posters here (hello @cabintom!)

Best regards

Steve
Attachments
Spilomelinae 2 Madeleine Drive 28 Nov 2023.jpg
Spilomelinae 2 Madeleine Drive 28 Nov 2023.jpg (598.09 KiB) Viewed 3723 times
Topic: Thailand & Cambodia 2024 | Author: earthling | Replies: 3 | Views: 3015
earthling

Re: Thailand & Cambodia 2024

by earthling » Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:33 am

Thank you Adam, the butterfly mineral lick looks great, thanks for the tip. If I get up to Chiang Mai I will certainly stop by the insect zoo.
Jim
Topic: Communication and the inexplicable | Author: kevinkk | Replies: 6 | Views: 5844
Whitmow

Re: Communication and the inexplicable

by Whitmow » Wed Dec 06, 2023 11:11 pm

You aren't the only one that has had issues with matt nochisaki. He has been banned from insect classifieds multiple times for his behavior and even used aliases to get around the ban. It's unfortunate, and I am sorry it happened to you as well.

viewtopic.php?t=265

apologies, when i first read this I thought it was only concerning matt. Sounds like this is primarily about another person that happens to have the same issues with being reliable. When/if you are ready, i hope you share his name. I certainly would like to avoid any more bad actors after my prior experience as well!
Topic: Papilio filaprae Cameroun ? | Author: Christophe | Replies: 5 | Views: 4811
adamcotton
Global Moderators
Global Moderators

by adamcotton » Wed Dec 06, 2023 9:57 pm

They certainly look like Papilio filaprae.

Adam.
Christophe

by Christophe » Wed Dec 06, 2023 7:47 pm

Hello, yes these are copies from my collection.
I am looking to confirm P.filaprae by an expert.
Thank you.
eurytides

by eurytides » Wed Dec 06, 2023 4:32 pm

Yikes. I didn’t spend enough time looking to pick up on that!
Topic: Please help us identify these species | Author: CaribLife | Replies: 1 | Views: 7781
CaribLife

Please help us identify these species

by CaribLife » Wed Dec 06, 2023 2:37 pm

We live in the Caribbean and struggle with these small bugs that seem to be very hard to kill. We had a poor family bring bedbugs into our house and we think we dealt with them however our exterminator is sure we also have another infestation that was brought in with the bedbugs,
and he is unable to identify it and because of it to treat it.

We superheat all our bedding each day and the mattress has been treated several times but when we wake up we find these white spots on the bedsheet. My wife gets bit a lot and once found these white thing that looks like larvae of some kind. Any help is very much appreciated!
Thank you
IMG_4665.JPG
IMG_4665.JPG (190.56 KiB) Viewed 7781 times
IMG_4644.JPG
IMG_4644.JPG (727.61 KiB) Viewed 7781 times
adamcotton
Global Moderators
Global Moderators

by adamcotton » Wed Dec 06, 2023 9:57 am

I already checked iNat last week. The associated photo appears on several different records for the same species, so I suspect that it is not the actual specimen from Simeulue.

Adam.
eurytides

by eurytides » Tue Dec 05, 2023 10:31 pm

There is one record on iNat. Not sure if you can see what you need to from the photo, but if no one has a specimen, it might be worth checking it out.
adamcotton
Global Moderators
Global Moderators

P. polytes male Simeulue

by adamcotton » Tue Dec 05, 2023 8:49 pm

Does anyone here have a male or males of Papilio polytes from Simeulue Island, NW of Sumatra?

I only have females and would really like to see photos of the male to see the phenotype.

Thanks,
Adam.
adamcotton
Global Moderators
Global Moderators

Re: Thailand & Cambodia 2024

by adamcotton » Tue Dec 05, 2023 10:18 am

Jim,

I live in Chiang Mai, and just checked with the owner that Siam Insect Zoo is open. I was worried that it had closed during covid-19 and wasn't sure if it reopened or not.

While you are in Thailand, if you want to see/photograph large assemblages of wild butterflies you should go to Kaeng Krachan National Park (west of Hua Hin) and Pang Sida National Park in the east (see Google Maps, where there is a place called 'Butterfly Mineral Lick' in the park). If you are here in January or early February it may be a little early for butterflies in Chiang Mai (most start flying from late February onwards) but Kaeng Krachan should be good as it is much further south.

Adam.
earthling

Thailand & Cambodia 2024

by earthling » Tue Dec 05, 2023 4:58 am

I will be in Thailand and Cambodia for the first two months of 2024, and while I do not actively collect (more into photography), I would be interested in visiting insect museums/zoos where possible. I know about the main ones like the Bangkok Butterfly Garden and the Banteay Srey Butterfly Center (Cambodia). Also, I believe there are a couple of others up at Chiang Mai. If anyone happens to know of any other centers, museums or zoos which are not so well known but worth the visit, feel free to mention them.

Thanks.
Jim
Topic: Papilio polytes ssp. & ♀ forms | Author: adamcotton | Replies: 7 | Views: 4891
Leonard187

Re: Papilio polytes ssp. & ♀ forms

by Leonard187 » Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:47 pm

Chuck wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:44 pm
Adam is always very helpful.

I'd not worry too much about misID, that happens.

I can't tell you the number of times some sub-project in my research has eaten many hours of work, and then I discover that the work had already been done, the paper is on my computer, and I'd simply forgotten that I'd read it.
Thanks, and you are so kind. I found that my memory has been a bit weak recently :D .